Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sir Alex Ferguson has admitted that Middlesborough are trying to sign Alan Smith according to Sky Sports.

With the news today, that Fergie wants Rossi to stay and that he has tipped Dong to make an impact this season, competition for places at Old Trafford will be fierce.

With Smith having to compete with Rooney, Saha, Solskjaer, Rossi, Dong and possibly Tevez for a place should he accept a move to the North East?

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
how much did we sign him for?

I dont want him to go, but if we got an offer around what we bought him for - it may be hard to reject since he's older now and has had injuries

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Smith cost £7m.

I don't think we'll get that for him TBH...but then I thought we'd be lucky to get £3m for Richardson!

Reports linking Smith with a move in the press have been quoting around £6m, which would be a reasonable offer.

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
6-7mil for Smith? Come on this isnt Bargain Hunt.
But he does deserve to play, he isnt the kind of guy to sit on the bench.
Sell Saha while your at it.
And *Loan* Rossi out, DONT SELL HIM.

N

·
0 Posts
sMITH

he has got the dedication but i think he is jus dere to make up the numbers becoz he does not contribute enuff to keep i think he should just go and try develope somewhere else because he aint doing nuffin for man u . he got his title so he shud just be happy with it.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
According to Sky Sports and the Daily Mirror, United have given Boro permission to talk to Smith, which would suggest a transfer fee has been agreed.

I think we should hang on to Saha - he should be given the opportunity to get over his injury problems because his form when fit is excellent. Also, we don't have another striker with the qualities of Saha in the squad. If he has another season disrupted by injury we should sell him next summer but let's face it - we won't get much for him.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
United have now made a statement saying that no formal offers have been made for Smith - just 2 enquiries by phone and 1 by text...

United chief executive David Gill said: "We've not had any firm offers for Alan Smith, though a couple of clubs have called to ask about the situation."

Gill added: "We also received a text from someone else. We'll see what happens but so far nothing has resulted from it."

·
Registered
125 Posts
i think smith and saha should go if we get tevez. problem with saha is hes always injured if he could keep himself fit i think hed b a good player. smiths a good player but i dont think hes got the quality 2 b a united 1st team player.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mightymanc10 said:
i think smith and saha should go if we get tevez. problem with saha is hes always injured if he could keep himself fit i think hed b a good player. smiths a good player but i dont think hes got the quality 2 b a united 1st team player.

I agree about Smith but I really think we should hold on to Saha for at least one more season.

When Saha has been fit for us his goal scoring record has been excellent. I think he deserves the chance to show he's just been unlucky with injuries over the past 2 seasons rather him being injury-prone.

If he is repeatedly injured again this season then I think it'd be a case of no more chances and he would definitely be sold next summer (although I don't think we'd get much for an injury prone striker!)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
hahah!

I like Alan Smith a lot, he can be useful but if we get Tevez then he will almost be surplus to requirements...however if we sell Smith, we MUST keep Rossi. He will be a star. We need to involve him more with our first team, and perhaps rid of Saha later if Tevez signs.

But Alan I still love you :(

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Sell smith because for a striker he will not get enough goals! Keep Saha, Rossi, Solskjaer (only got a year left in him) and give Dong another year to see what he brings, although i think we will get rid of dong next year. Problem is i dont think smith will even want to go to boro, And i dont think he will want to go to any club not in the top six, so i think no-one will buy him and he will have to stay until his contract runs out!

·
Registered
987 Posts
rooneyNo10 said:
Sell smith because for a striker he will not get enough goals! Keep Saha, Rossi, Solskjaer (only got a year left in him) and give Dong another year to see what he brings, although i think we will get rid of dong next year. Problem is i dont think smith will even want to go to boro, And i dont think he will want to go to any club not in the top six, so i think no-one will buy him and he will have to stay until his contract runs out!
pretty much but he can link up with aliadire

1 - 20 of 28 Posts