Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welterweight Floyd Mayweather Jr has announced his retirement from boxing.

Widely considered boxing's best pound-for-pound fighter, Meayweather retires unbeaten with a record of 39-0.

The 31-year-old's final bout was in Las Vegas last December when he knocked out Britain's Ricky Hatton to retain his WBC welterweight crown.

"This decision was not an easy one for me to make, because boxing is all I have done since I was a child," Mayweather said in a statement.

In May last year, Mayweather said he would quit boxing after beating Oscar De La Hoya in Las Vegas to claim the WBC super welterweight title.

He subsequently changed his mind and was expected to meet De La Hoya in a rematch on 20 September.

Hatton's promotional team also believed Mayweather was keen to secure a rematch with the Manchester fighter.

But 'Pretty Boy', who has recently performed for World Wrestling Entertainment and appeared on US TV shows, admits he has lost the desire to continue his glittering boxing career.

"These past few years have been extremely difficult for me to find the desire and joy to continue in the sport," he said.

"I am sorry I have to leave the sport at this time, knowing I still have my God-given abilities to succeed and future multi-million dollar paydays ahead, including the one right around the corner (the proposed De La Hoya fight).

"But there comes a time when money doesn't matter. I just can't do it anymore. I have found a peace with my decision that I have not felt in a long time."

Mayweather won six world boxing championships in five different weight classes.

He won a bronze medal in the 1996 Olympics and went on to win world championships at junior lightweight, lightweight, junior welterweight, welterweight and junior middleweight.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Would be a shame...Dude was an amazing fighter! So much skill in todays game is not something we see much of, so when you see a skilful fighter, enjoy!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
Rumour has it that he got paid $20m for appearing on WWE. Add that to the millions he's received for his boxing and you can't blame the guy for retiring early!

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
he's ducking the people who he should be fighting. IMO cotto and margarito have already surpassed him.

He should have faced them instead of an over the hill de la hoyer or an ordinary Hatton.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts