Manchester United Talk banner

121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
GOAT
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Who gives a f**k about Barcelona being impressed by him or whatever. We only care about the moneybags. Monaco and PSG are who hes trying to entertain. As if Rooney would get into the Barca team.. :ROFL: :ROFL:
Rooney > Messi.

Wayne Rooney is the white Pele remember...

·
Big Daddy
34,250 Posts
How would they know? After all, he just got put into the shop window merely munutes ago. Not sure what amateur types you think these clubs are running in the scouting department...

Well if they have been watching Wayne recently, they'd see a moping overweight has been.

·
Juventus fan
17,446 Posts
Who gives a f**k about Barcelona being impressed by him or whatever. We only care about the moneybags. Monaco and PSG are who hes trying to entertain. As if Rooney would get into the Barca team.. :ROFL: :ROFL:
Barcelona were shown up in a 7-0 thumping a few months back and they've just signed a terrible hype job. If they can find places in their team for Cristian fucking Tello then Rooney can probably slot in well.

·
I can't be arsed
4,680 Posts
Hart looked decent.
I think Mancini was fooling around so much upsetting the team that he unsettled his defence.
Defence is based on team work even more than the midfield and attack, and Joe was left holding the bag.
He still made some shocking errors of course, but that is what happens when the defence is messed around.

·
GOAT
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Barcelona were shown up in a 7-0 thumping a few months back and they've just signed a terrible hype job. If they can find places in their team for Cristian f**king Tello then Rooney can probably slot in well.
The only place Rooney would slot in is on the bench if he went to Barcelona.

·
Juventus fan
17,446 Posts
That was a promising performance based on patience and composure. Hart was brilliant and the Ox looked good. Brazil looked average.

End of season and you can still find the players putting in a disciplined performance edged with efficiency away to a big side in a big stadium. You still have Wilshere, Walker and Gerrard to improve this side so this whole "Dark Ages" thing has been massively overplayed.

S

·
0 Posts
Did I miss yet another England game :confused:

This has got to stop, it's getting upsetting now.....NOT. :LOL:

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
That was a promising performance based on patience and composure. Hart was brilliant and the Ox looked good. Brazil looked average.

End of season and you can still find the players putting in a disciplined performance edged with efficiency away to a big side in a big stadium. You still have Wilshere, Walker and Gerrard to improve this side so this whole "Dark Ages" thing has been massively overplayed.
Gerrard shouldn't be in that side if you want to maintain the discipline, patience and composure. Should be Carrick and Wilshere.

----------------Rooney--------------
Sturridge----Welbeck----TheOx
----------Carrick-----Wilshere----

·
Juventus fan
17,446 Posts
Do you think he would have a regular starting spot if he went there?
Of course he would, he's about 100 times the player Sanchez or Pedro is, offers versatility, he flourished alongside Ronaldo so could do it with Messi guaranteed.

He would also start for Madrid ahead of Benzema or Higuain.

Why would these teams go for him in his mid-20s when for 25m and somewhere in the region of 150-175k wages they can get an overall cheaper, valuable package in Neymar, but it beggars belief what these teams see in him to make him a potential superstar.

·
GOAT
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Of course he would, he's about 100 times the player Sanchez or Pedro is, offers versatility, he flourished alongside Ronaldo so could do it with Messi guaranteed.

Why would these teams go for him in his mid-20s when for 25m and somewhere in the region of 150-175k wages they can get an overall cheaper, valuable package in Neymar, but it beggars belief what these teams see in him to make him a potential superstar.
He would have got more starts ahead of Villa and Sanchez but with the arrival of Neymar, Rooney would not be starting on a regular basis, not with Barcelona's now front three of Iniesta, Messi and Neymar.

Unless Iniesta is moved into central midfield and Xavi is dropped to a more squad rotation player, than only then would Rooney be getting regular starts.

He'd definitely be a regular for PSG and Madrid, but I very much doubt he would be for Barcelona.

·
Succumbing to Ennui under Moyes
8,440 Posts

Rooney would struggle to hold down a regular starting berth at both Real and Barca smh. Start ahead of Benzema and a fit Higuain? Let's get realistic! Its not that he's not a talented player, those teams just don't appreciate the type of player he is tbh.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
I like Hodgson but i wont lie it worries me that we now approach games against decent teams like a relegation threatened team visiting Old Trafford, Emirates or Stamford Bridge.

We always seems to play to their counter their strengths more than we attempt to play to our own. It's very negative and somewhat worrying mentality to put on the young players.

All in all the second half was much better when the reigns were somewhat let off but it still felt to me more like a robbery than a decent performance.

·
Juventus fan
17,446 Posts
Your faith in Rooney knows no bounds. Rooney would struggle to hold down a first team spot at both Real and Barca smh. Start ahead of Benzema and a fit Higuain? Let's get realistic! Its not that he's not a talented player, those teams just don't appreciate the type of player he is tbh.
Yes, let's get realistic. Neither Benzema nor Higuain have better scoring rates than Rooney this season. And this is literally the worst it gets for Rooney. At his best neither of those two have beaten Rooney's best goal tally (ever) despite both spending their careers in league's that are widely regarded as easier to score in, as well as both now playing in a more creative team.

When it comes to this forum I am one of the most realistic about Rooney's abilities, because if you went off comments on here alone you'd question how he's been able to carve out any sort of career.

The one and only team in world football where I'd say he'd face a fair challenge to get into the side is Bayern, but even then I'd say there's no reason he can't beat off a challenge from Gomez or Mandzukic, he's certainly capable.

·
Succumbing to Ennui under Moyes
8,440 Posts
Yes, let's get realistic. Neither Benzema nor Higuain have better scoring rates than Rooney this season. And this is literally the worst it gets for Rooney. At his best neither of those two have beaten Rooney's best goal tally (ever) despite both spending their careers in league's that are widely regarded as easier to score in, as well as both now playing in a more creative team.

When it comes to this forum I am one of the most realistic about Rooney's abilities, because if you went off comments on here alone you'd question how he's been able to carve out any sort of career.

The one and only team in world football where I'd say he'd face a fair challenge to get into the side is Bayern, but even then I'd say there's no reason he can't beat off a challenge from Gomez or Mandzukic, he's certainly capable.
Rooney is far from the type of forward that Barcelona and Real go for. Bayern yes, he could do a job there. Probably even PSG.

·
In Jones we trust
8,412 Posts
Brazil were good in possession and looked dangerous at times but they are a real shadow of many of the Brazil sides of the past. Home advantage helps but I really don't see them winning the World Cup next year, mainly because the likes of Germany and Spain are simply better and would probably prove it even at the Maracana. Not to mention the pressure on that current Brazil side, they have some great talent, but to expect young guys like Neymar, Oscar and Moura to bear the immense burden to delivering the trophy at home, I'm not so sure. I'm not ruling them out completely if they find some form and gets a good draw then they could win it. But I'd take a punt on two or three other sides before them.

Good result from England tonight and a fairly entertaining game (for a friendly). It restores some pride after the abortion of a 1-1 with Ireland on Wednesday. A couple of great goals from Oxlade-Chamberlain and Rooney. Rooney's goal really was a surprise given how he's played over the past couple of months, I was starting to think that he didn't have goals like that in him anymore.

People talk about systems with England but for me much of it is in personnel. We've had a terrific squad of players at times over the last fifteen years (if not a good team) but what's happened over the past five or six years is that great players have been replaced by average ones. Ferdinand and Terry replaced with Jagielka and Cahill. Beckham with Lennon. Owen with Defoe. Neville with Johnson. It goes on. There's nothing wrong with these players (except Johnson, who's shit), but they just aren't as good as the playes that they replaced. England also really lack that unpredictable element to bring excitement to their play. Rooney in Euro 2004 provided it. We could really do with somebody breaking through who can provide that spark to the side, Zaha perhaps? Time will tell.

·
Registered
428 Posts
A 2-2 draw, but it was not really deserved. Over the course of the 2 games England proved that they are a side that can warrant a place at a big tournament, occasionally mix it with the big boys but simply aren't good enough to win one or even get close. Once again the passing was sloppy and the movement static. In a friendly where there is less at stake there is not really any excuses to pass the ball badly. Rooneys goal is no doubt a godsend in his search for a better contract or move elsewhere. He is still a very good player, although not amongst the very best and i'm still unsure whether i want him to remain with us or not. The positives from that display in my view were hart, Carrick and Jones. Especially Carrick. In the warm temperatures of Brazil next summer England will need his composure and passing abilities.

121 - 140 of 142 Posts