Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has been backed by Gordon Brown as the man to lead an all-British football team at the 2012 Olympics.

The Prime Minister yesterday told Sky News plans were underway to have a British squad competing at the London Games.

Now he has confirmed he wants to sign up Sir Alex as manager.

"I have talked to him about it," Mr Brown said on BBC1's Olympic Breakfast.

"I think he would have to be approached formally by the relevant authorities but he is one of the people mentioned and he has not turned it down."

Ferguson is unlikely to be compromised by club duties in four years' time.

He is widely expected to retire as boss at Old Trafford at the end of this season or the next - a minimum of two years before the Olympic showcase.

Britain did not enter a team at the Beijing Games due to a lack of support from the four constituent countries' football associations.

But the Prime Minister is keen to see a unified team - Team UK - field on home soil in four years' time, the first time a composite British squad had entered the Games since 1960.

Speaking exclusively to Sky News, he said: "I hope there will be a team by 2012. It will be team UK. I hope we can get an agreement on that.

Will the home nations unite for 2012?

"Britain is the home of football, which we gave to the world, and people will be surprised if there is an Olympic tournament in football and we are not part of it."

Mr Brown said he had met with head of FIFA Sepp Blatter, Olympic organisers and FA organisers in Britain in order to broker an agreement.

The notion of a British football team has been regularly raised but always suffered from a lack of support within the domestic game.

Criticism for the idea centres on the structure of the team.

Some fear the team would rely too heavily on English players, while others resent the introduction of a fixed quota of players from England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

A unified British team could match up with Olympic champions Argentina in 2012.

The South Americans claimed the football gold medal today in Beijing, beating Nigeria 1-0 in the final.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Prime-Minister-Gordon-Brown-Wants-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-To-Manage-2012-British-Football-Team-At-Olympics/Article/200808415085382?lpos=UK+News_1&lid=ARTICLE_15085382_Prime+Minister+Gordon+Brown+Wants+Sir+Alex+Ferguson+To+Manage+2012+British+Football+Team+At+Olympics

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
He's always been backed I thought....

....only thing was, would he accept it?

No surprise they want the best manager to lead them....:rolleyes:

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
He'll still be manager here.

Can't imagine United without Fergie. When it does happen, expect a fall from the grace which we have had since 1993. We won't be as good, or we may, but there will be something which affects us.

I hope Fergie takes the Britain job. Be class, and Britain's greatest ever manager leading Britain in his final move in football.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Stephen said:
He'll still be manager here.

Can't imagine United without Fergie. When it does happen, expect a fall from the grace which we have had since 1993. We won't be as good, or we may, but there will be something which affects us.

I hope Fergie takes the Britain job. Be class, and Britain's greatest ever manager leading Britain in his final move in football.
I know! Never been another man in the seat in m lifetime! :eek:....Will be a sad sad
day when he does call it trumps.

As for the Olympics.....Not really fussed if he takes it or not. Might suit him better
having the Summer off and no pressure....anyways, we'll all find out soon enough!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts