Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
There is no Noxiousd, only ZUUL
16,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has impressed people this year with the turn from reserves to fully fledged squad member? Or even players who have stepped up from the background to be counted...

:first: For me, Evans wins by a long shot, the lad has been an unsung hero from the back and has made the stepup without any hitches, definitely one to watch...

:second: Rafael in a close second, his hype has died down but he had a key role in beginning of season as cover for WB and GN...

:third: Park in third, i know we already knew of his qualities, but he has really shone for me this year, hes proved a lot more valuable than Nani and is my second choice winger by far...

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Id be inclined to agree with you on all 3 there Noxious. Although I would put Rafael and Evans joint #1.

Evans had played first team football previous with Sunderland and Rafael had not .

But both have had fantastic seasons the way they stepped into 1st team when asked and performed better than most expected. Hopefully their development continues next season.

Park has for sure had a great season, his best since joining from PSV.

Z

·
0 Posts
I'm still not seeing why Park is being praised so much. He runs round a lot but creates almost nothing in a attacking sense, and as a winger that's his main job.

·
Banned
1,115 Posts
I'm still not seeing why Park is being praised so much. He runs round a lot but creates almost nothing in a attacking sense, and as a winger that's his main job.
thats funny, i got to see him lately quite offensive. i bet you can remember some of his misses, his goal against fulham, his pass to berbatov at newvastle etc etc
plus he gets many free kicks, wich also counts....

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
1. Rafael
2. Welbeck
3. Evans

Evans 3rd because he was already held in high regard,
being a regular for Northern Ireland and widely touted
as a future first teamer.

Welbeck and, especially, Rafael had a lot of hype but
a lot of people, me included, wondered whether they
would be able to keep the pace or if they would need
time to adapt.

PJS hasn't been exceptional and hasn't been a breakthrough
either.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
1. Rafael
2. Welbeck

Welbeck and, especially, Rafael had a lot of hype but
a lot of people, me included, wondered whether they
would be able to keep the pace or if they would need
time to adapt.
You think Welbeck? I don't think he's been that promising this season. Well not in the first team anyway.

He's been very good, as usual, in he reserves but I don't see the great potential that I see in Evans & Rafael.

Z

·
0 Posts
thats funny, i got to see him lately quite offensive. i bet you can remember some of his misses, his goal against fulham, his pass to berbatov at newvastle etc etc
plus he gets many free kicks, wich also counts....
The facts are that he's scored two goals and created three all season. For a winger I find that unacceptable. I know he has other qualities like tracking back and helping out the full back on whichever side he's playing, but that doesn't excuse his inadequacies as an attacking player.

Pointless discussion anyway because he can hardly be described as a 'breakthrough' player.

·
Banned
1,115 Posts
yea maybe because he played half out of the total games and he missed alot of chances...
but yea we cant have a team full of ronaldos, someone has to work. and as long as nani is the other option yea...is a pointless discussion.

my vote goes to Evans and Rafael

·
23,699 Posts
After some thoughts, I don't think anybody has particularly broken through this season for me, either coming up spectacularly from the ranks or elevating himself to another level.

I.. actually agree with PeeJay on Evans. There is really not much element of surprise to coin it as a breakthrough, if you know what.. we mean.

I also agree with dlan4327 on Welbeck. He does pack bags of promises and certainly looks one for the future but seems pretty raw still or has played enough games for the seniors to call it a breakthrough. Shining for the Reserves is not exactly breakthrough either.

[Btw something I always wanted to ask but forgot, why 4327 if I may ask?]

Same for Possebon, Fabio, Gibson etc.

PJS or JSP, depending on whether you are from the East or the West, is evidently getting more solid and consistent this term, almost sealing a permanent spot on the wings due also to the lacklustre performances of others vying for it, most notably, Nani. But a breakthrough for him must surely be improving on the offensive aspects of his game. The day he starts beating defenders head on often enough or converting the good chances his intelligence first prompted him to get himself into would be the day he elevates himself to another level.

Rafael? Came here with huge expectations and publicity already. Looks the real deal initially (including containing Robinho) but is it just me to have noticed that while it is nice to see him joining in the attacks creditably a la Evra, his defensive works are still a suspect?

Can't really pinpoint Vidic for a breakthrough too even though he is in the running for the Player of the Year. I mean, are we really taken by surprise? His effective partnership with Rio was already evident for all to see for the past two seasons.

One bright spark, alas for a flicking moment, must be Fletcher, another much talked-about player in this forum. I honestly thought he would be breaking through with some assured and solid performances earlier in the season and when he was even our leading goal scorer then for a short period. However, as the season progresses on, he is found wanting again although to be fair to him, I thought he should have been given more games than he had based on his earlier promise.

Anderson, Nani, Ronaldo, Rooney etc have been largely disappointing this season for various reasons...

Enough said.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Who has impressed people this year with the turn from reserves to fully fledged squad member? Or even players who have stepped up from the background to be counted...

:first: For me, Evans wins by a long shot, the lad has been an unsung hero from the back and has made the stepup without any hitches, definitely one to watch...

:second: Rafael in a close second, his hype has died down but he had a key role in beginning of season as cover for WB and GN...

:third: Park in third, i know we already knew of his qualities, but he has really shone for me this year, hes proved a lot more valuable than Nani and is my second choice winger by far...
I agree

·
16,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think Vidic had a solid year last year, but this year he has really grabbed the limelight, for once Rio is the least talked about of our defenders...

Same goes for Evra, although i feel last year he was impeccable, and easily the best left back in the country (and barring Maicon, the world)

·
16,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To be honest I expected this from Vida, but I didn`t expected to see Evans to be so good
Yeah, next season i can see him pushing Rio for a starting place, as opposed to being the third centre back...

Z

·
0 Posts
Yeah, next season i can see him pushing Rio for a starting place, as opposed to being the third centre back...
When Rio is fully fit he'll be number one again like he has been for the past two seasons. Vidic has only been the better of the two for this season, much of which Rio has suffered with back problems. I'm surprised you automatically assume it's Rio's place in the team that will be under threat.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I agree with you zuco, Rio is still with Vida the best difender in the world, but I too think that Evans is going to replace Rio one day, but not yet.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
[Btw something I always wanted to ask but forgot, why 4327 if I may ask?]
When I was at University the login they give you is a mash up of your names. First letter of your first name & the first 3 of your last name.

Then they add a number, probably what number student I was. David Langham = dlan then they added 4327.

Also I'm making a list of any youngsters with potential currently in Europe. Not in any particular order.

1. Pato - AC Milan

2. Bojan Krkić - FC Barcelona

3. Michael Mancienne - Chelsea FC (QPR & Wolves)

4. Marek Hamšík - Napoli

5. Sebastian Giovinco - Juventus

6. Toni Kroos - FC Bayern Munich (Bayer Leverkusen on loan)

7. Sergio Agüero - Atlético Madrid

8. Davide Santon - Internazionale Milano (Fancy way of saying 2nd best club in Milan)

9. Giuseppe Rossi - Villareal

10. Mario Balotelli - Internazionale Milano

11. Emiliano Insúa - Liverpool (Haven't seen much but put him in anyway)

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
For my choices I'm going to go with:

1. Jonny Evans - Really promising defender, has stepped in at vital times with no time to adapt and played fantasticly with maturity far beyond his years. The complete moder defender, intelligent, positionally superb, sweeps up for his team mates and is really good on the ball. Could easily be a top defender for us for another 10 years or so.

2. Rafael - What a breath of fresh air he is! Seems to improve every times he plays, and just has an enthusiasm to attack which I think really rubs off on the rest of the team. I really like this player a lot, and is another one who I think could be a major star for us for a good 10 years, same goes for his brother too.

3. Darren Fletcher
Was obviously more established than the previous two at the start of the seaso, but I think this season he has really improved a lot. He used to be the sort of player who worked hard but you'd be slightly uneasy with him being at the heart of your midfield. This season I think he's matured massively and physically improved too. While he will never be brilliant, I think he's reached a level where you'd be happy for him to be in the team in any match, and good on him for staying loyal and now he is getting the rewards.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts