Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wigan boss looks for shock Chelsea triumph - skysports.com

Steve Bruce is hoping to give Wigan's survival hopes and Manchester United's title aspirations a boost with a shock win over Chelsea.

Bruce's men travel to Stamford Bridge on Monday looking to extend their five-point cushion above the drop zone.

If The Latics force Chelsea to drop points then United will be handed a stronger advantage in the race to retain their Premier League crown.

And Bruce, who won three league titles during his time at Old Trafford as a player, is eyeing success for both Wigan and Red Devils boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

"If we win at Stamford Bridge then I am sure Fergie will have a little drink," he told the Sunday Mirror.

"Mind you, I'd hope to get more than one bottle sent from Old Trafford myself if we beat Chelsea. They haven't lost at home for four years, so I'd expect to get a case of the good stuff if we get a result down there.

Influence

"It's a long time since I've had any influence on a title race and to be honest I haven't even been thinking of this one because I've been concentrating on the other end of the table.

"We play both Chelsea and United in our last five games and we still need points ourselves to make sure that we're safe.

"Our home form has been good and if we can take that to Stamford Bridge on Monday night and they have an off-day then we could give them a hell of a game. We need a result as much as they do.

"People have been giving us pats on the back all week, so I've had to bring the players down a peg or two so they know we are not yet safe."

BRUCE GOT FERGIE HELP

Steve Bruce has revealed that Sir Alex Ferguson called him twice ahead of Wigan's clash with Chelsea to offer encouragement and advice.

The Latics boss has revealed that Ferguson has only called him four times since he took over at Wigan - twice before the Arsenal game and twice before this week's Chelsea clash.

Bruce has certainly been an ally of Ferguson's this season as his Wigan side drew first with Arsenal 0-0 and then rescued a point with a late Emile HEskey goal at Stamford Bridge on Monday night.

"Sir Alex has phoned me twice before this game and twice before Arsenal.He hasn't phoned me any other time during the season. Four times!" said Bruce.

"I have had a few calls from friends in Manchester but I am more pleased for us getting a point. The United players will be pleased but they know it's not over yet."

It's almost over because Chelsea are now five points behind United but Avram Grant insists: "Of course the players still believe. Anyway we need to win against Everton, against United and we need them to have a bad result. So nothing much changes."

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
burnzy1987 said:
box of wine for brucey

more like a pallet of Champers for the old war horse :)
I was going to write in this thread earlier and say they had no chance,
but Brucie was right. God I love Steve Bruce.......
and Big Emile Heskey must get a shout out as well
Heskey=Legend :D

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Chelsea manager Avram Grant believes his team can still win the Premier League title despite losing ground on leaders Manchester United.
Emile Heskey scored an injury-time equaliser for Wigan on Monday to leave Chelsea five points behind United with four games left.
"We are still in the title race. It is more difficult now but we will still fight away," said Grant.
Chelsea face Everton on Thursday before playing United on 26 April. The Blues then travel to Newcastle before completing their season with a home match against Bolton.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve Bruce is a true legend!

Give him the wine, the champagne and the strawberries. In face you can give him the Brauhaus and the wine cellar too!

Vivia Brucey! And Heskey....Emile Heskey.... can you believe it?

Anybody remember that goal by Alan Smith when he was still at Leeds against Arsenal? I can;t remember the year but he let rip from distance and swung the title our way.

Legends.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts