Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there is a thread about who will replace fergy wen he leaves. I personally think that fergy will continue till he is 70. He still looks incredibly hungry and healthy manager.

The question really is will he retire soon to give his former employees a chance?
Which of the three "Bruce, Keane or Hughes" would you prefer to manage Man Utd?

For recent years, players have come and gone, but managers are difficult to find especially SAF, it'll be a sad day.

Any chance of a POLL on this.

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
Bruce. He is a very good manager. Keano doesnt cut it and at B'Burn Hughes just sent his players out to kick and foul.

Z

·
0 Posts
Keane isn't even close to being good enough to manage United. His man management is shocking and he's poor in the transfer market. He spend shit loads of money on players that didn't gel together and put Sunderland in an awful position in the table. If he can't manage the egos at Sunderland then he has zero change of managing the egos at United. Besides, there isn't a bigger ego than Keano's, the man thinks he's a God when really he's a very poor manager. I don't want him anywhere near my football team.

Hughes is City manager, which in my opinion immediately rules him out of ever becoming United manager. Plus let's face it, he's not exactly doing very well at City. He has a wealth of talent at his disposal and still he can't win football matches.

Bruce is a good manager, but I have my doubts over how he'd do at a big club. I'd rather see us get a tried and tested manager with experience of winning trophies.

A bit premature anyway, Fergie has a few more years left in him yet ;)

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
-zuco- said:
Keane isn't even close to being good enough to manage United. His man management is shocking and he's poor in the transfer market. He spend shit loads of money on players that didn't gel together and put Sunderland in an awful position in the table. If he can't manage the egos at Sunderland then he has zero change of managing the egos at United. Besides, there isn't a bigger ego than Keano's, the man thinks he's a God when really he's a very poor manager. I don't want him anywhere near my football team.
oh come on!!! Keane performed miracles at Sunderland (Promotion, consolidation
in the Prem). He bought a few duds in the transfer market but so does every
manager. The team he left is the one that's currently in midtable .
(same players more or less)

When he left they were in the bottom few, but they were always gonna be safe.
We know how tight the league is down there. Roy would have got them out easily.
The players they have (that Roy bought) are mid table players, and NOT relegation boys.

We have to remember his character also, he doesnt suffer fools gladly as well as
his perfectionism, which probably alienated some players. He has his faults, which
he knows himself. Maybe he is too honest for his own good at times, but it
ultimately proved to be his downfall on a couple of occasions.

And who said he couldnt manage the ego's? The team were always going to take
time to gel anyway, cos there were so many new players. Last time Sunderland
were in the Prem they were a laughing stock, so they have come a LONG way thanks to Keane.
In a sense he was 'upgrading' his players to deal with the
new challenges ahead. Some paid off, some didnt and he will have learnt from it.

And to mention the fact it was his FIRST managerial job. Look at all the other
100's of managers who have failed in their time. Keane did a good job as
manager but his time had ran its course, but we never know with Keane,
he could be back someday to manage at United.
Obviously Id be thrilled if that happened, but he would have to go off
and get more experience first.

If Fergie were to retire tomorrow Id take Steve Bruce if only those 3 were on offer. (in reply to the OP)

and I cant believe the bit I highlighted :eek: after ALL Keane has done for United,
you can be that dismissive and unappreciative? :rolleyes:
As United's greatest and most successful captain, he deserves more respect.

Z

·
0 Posts
I respect him as a player Jazz, I just don't like what he's turned into. You mention that he left a team in the bottom 3 and now the same group of players are mid table.....I don't know why you're mentioning that because it makes Keane look bad. Sbragia has got them playing as a team whereas Keane couldn't. The players were scared of him ffs. Do one single thing wrong and they were bollocked and transfer listed. That's no way to treat players.

Everything you said in his defence can actually be used to put him down :rolleyes: I think you should put more thought into it next time because you only added to the negatives I'd already listed, thanks Jizz :)
As for 'consolidation in the Prem', how exactly is the relegation zone 'consolidation'?

·
Registered
141 Posts
i always defended keane when he was at sunderland and wanted them to do well so keane could one day take the next step up to utd but as soon as he quit i couldnt defend him any more and realised he was to unpredictable and quick to walk away from troubles to be a utd manager,i tried to understand his reasons for walking out of the 2002 world cup but there seems a pattern developing with keanes emotions

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
-zuco- said:
You mention that he left a team in the bottom 3 and now the same group of players are mid table.....I don't know why you're mentioning that because it makes Keane look bad.
He may have been in the bottom 3 but if you had seen the table at the time
there was only a handful of points between over half the teams in the whole
league ffs.
Couple of wins and he would have been right out of, and they had/have the
players to do it. (Keane's players)

-zuco- said:
As for 'consolidation in the Prem', how exactly is the relegation zone 'consolidation'?
:rolleyes:

I never said that.
I stated achievements....
He was manager there during 3 seasons.
Season 1 - Promotion
Season 2 - Consolidation in the Prem (which was the achievement I was talking about)

The last 2 times Sunderland were up they capitulated under McCarthy and
became the worst team in Prem history. (since overtaken by Watford I believe)
So this WAS a great achievement led by Roy Keane.

Season 3 - Left when they were in the bottom few, but was only a couple of points off midtable.
It looked worse than the situation suggested.

I may have pointed out some of his flaws and weaknesses but Im only trying to
give a balanced view of his tenure at Sunderland.
I know Ill defend Keane till the cows come home, but I (like him) can point out his faults.

It doesnt mean he is not capable of being manager at United one day.
Is he capable? Who knows? Only time will tell what Keane does next.
What I do know is that we will ALL be watching,
cos Keane is box office material for the journo's and ourselves.

You always say give players a chance and give players time to prove their worth.
so why cant we do the same for managers? which is arguably a much tougher job
than being a player. It was his first job and he did well. He will have learnt a lot
from it, and Im sure we will see him again at some point. Good luck to him, wherever he goes.

·
23,699 Posts
I think we should perhaps put to rest the romantic idea that old star players will become new star managers of their previous club. Proven cases of success are really very very low.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
versa said:
I think we should perhaps put to rest the romantic idea that old star players will become new star managers of their previous club. Proven cases of success are really very very low.
I was thinking that too, I'd rather not have a Bruce-cum-Keegan on our hands.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I think out of the three mentioned Bruce is the best choice for United. He has had fair bit of expience in coaching but they all have been relegation threatened, mid table or championship teams so I really don't know what will he be like managing a top club and how will he cope with the high epectations from the fans if he does replace Fergie.

Keano is too unpredictable and very much volatile and I don't think he may be the right man for United. He has done a good job at Sunderland but has made a few crucial mistakes. He is too honest and his fiery nature will always come in the way of success.

Hughes hasn't really been able to do a good job at City even with ample of talent and lots of money to spend. He did a good job at Rovers without much resources but I don't think he can make the cut to manage United.

Personally I don't think we should get a former player to manae the club instead get a good manager who has had success at the top level.

Only time will tell and till then it is all hunky-dory with Sir Alex at the helm.....

Z

·
0 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
He may have been in the bottom 3 but if you had seen the table at the time
there was only a handful of points between over half the teams in the whole
league ffs.
Couple of wins and he would have been right out of, and they had/have the
players to do it. (Keane's players)

:rolleyes:

I never said that.
I stated achievements....
He was manager there during 3 seasons.
Season 1 - Promotion
Season 2 - Consolidation in the Prem (which was the achievement I was talking about)

The last 2 times Sunderland were up they capitulated under McCarthy and
became the worst team in Prem history. (since overtaken by Watford I believe)
So this WAS a great achievement led by Roy Keane.

Season 3 - Left when they were in the bottom few, but was only a couple of points off midtable.
It looked worse than the situation suggested.

I may have pointed out some of his flaws and weaknesses but Im only trying to
give a balanced view of his tenure at Sunderland.
I know Ill defend Keane till the cows come home, but I (like him) can point out his faults.

It doesnt mean he is not capable of being manager at United one day.
Is he capable? Who knows? Only time will tell what Keane does next.
What I do know is that we will ALL be watching,
cos Keane is box office material for the journo's and ourselves.

You always say give players a chance and give players time to prove their worth.
so why cant we do the same for managers? which is arguably a much tougher job
than being a player. It was his first job and he did well. He will have learnt a lot
from it, and Im sure we will see him again at some point. Good luck to him, wherever he goes.
You could say the same for the two clubs that were below Sunderland at the time
as well, one of which was Blackburn who had a much much better squad. You're
basing your theory on them being capable of winning two games, but when Keane
was in charge it really didn't look likely. His poor handling of players meant morale
was at rock bottom and you could see it in the body language on the pitch. They
were five points adrift from mid table and showing no signs of improving. In fact,
if wikipedia is correct he's lost five of the six games that preceded his departure
from the club.

He was also quite poor in the transfer market. The majority of his signings were
United rejects. His scouting network was clearly non existent because he was only
signing players he had experience of from his time with us. He did make a few
good signings like Ferdinand and Cisse, but neither performed under him.

You're right I do always defend our players and avoid focusing on the negatives,
because I know they have the right skills to do the job well, given time, but I
genuinely feel that Keane's ego will always get in the way of him doing a
consistently good job over any sustained period of time. He walked out on his
country after a disagreement with the manager, he got booted out of united for
getting too big for his boots and he walked from Sunderland when things got too
tough for him. Are you sensing a pattern developing? :rolleyes:

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
Before, I used to think Keane was just a mediocre
manager, then he voiced his support for GAM£ 39
and I just decided he was a mug.

Hughes is a bit like Ince, good managers but they
were both punching above their weights at Blackburn
and City and have done dysmally.

Out of those three it would have to be Stevie Bruce who's
doing an excellent job.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I will set fire to anyone who suggest that Mark Hughes should even be allowed within 100 miles of Old Trafford as a manager. :mad:

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Let's hope it doesn't come down to choosing between them 3, or else I would sincerely fear for our furure..

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
keano - now way the thing that made him a great player makes him a bad manager, sparky has done pretty well actually, but personally have always had a liking for what brucie has done.
bruce has been pretty solid at every club he has been at without ever been spectacular, but to be fair he hasnt been at the clubs or had the money to do anything spectacular, would love to see brucie at a bigger club with a bit of money to spend and see how he handles that. another thing is his attitude, think it top class a combination of old school and not being someone who wants the limelight all the time

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
dlan4327 said:
I will set fire to anyone who suggest that Mark Hughes should even be allowed within 100 miles of Old Trafford as a manager. :mad:
I think you will have to set fire to the world then as he's been within 100 miles of Old Trafford as a manager with City and Blackburn.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
steve bruce is the best of the 3 ,he has easily done has well as the other 2 and he is always calm and composed he deserves respect.

keano will always be a hot head and although he talks lots of sense he will always explode and he would upset more players than he inspires .

sparky can do a good job at a mid-table team but he will never be a big team manager his tactics are abysmal and he will always bottle it , like he did for wales when he choose the wrong tactics in the final 3 games of our qualifying campaign , and he is proving it again at city.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts