Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon is optimistic about his side’s chances of beating Chelsea in the Champions League.

Juve face Chelsea in Turin next week as they look to overturn a 1-0 defeat at Stamford Bridge, and the Italy keeper feels they could go on and win the tournament if they get through that game.

“For the last 75 minutes in London, we showed that we could handle them and, at 1-0, you can turn it around if we score,” he told La Stampa.

“Also, Chelsea don’t seem to have the same physical fitness or mental belief they have had in other years.”

He added: “If we get through, we would only have five more games [to win it].”

However, Buffon knows that there are some strong teams left in the competition and believes Barcelona are the greatest threat.

“The best team in Europe is always Barcelona,” he said.

“Manchester United have three or four outstanding players, but the rest are not considered to be phenomenal – what makes them strong is how they play as a team.”
CL: Buffon on Chelsea | Setanta

Scholes, Giggs, Carrick, Ronaldo, Rooney, Berbatov, Evra, Rio, Vidic etc etc. All in my opinion 'outstanding players'.

What's Buffon on about? We're not even playing Juventus so why is he talking crap? :confused:

·
Registered
104 Posts
He makes a fair point that we have '3 or 4 outstanding players'. Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand and Ronaldo are world class, Rooney is getting there.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
to prove him wrong ask any manager in the world who would not want

VDS in goal

rio evra vidic in their backline

ronaldo scholes giggs carrick hargreeves in their midfield

berba rooney tevez in their strike force

and thats not knocking the rest of our team. if we wasnt outstanding we wouldnt be where we are, we would be 1-0 down before the second leg had even started. buffon chats ****

·
23,699 Posts
CL: Buffon on Chelsea | Setanta

Scholes, Giggs, Carrick, Ronaldo, Rooney, Berbatov, Evra, Rio, Vidic etc etc. All in my opinion 'outstanding players'.

What's Buffon on about? We're not even playing Juventus so why is he talking crap? :confused:
He added: “If we get through, we would only have five more games [to win it].”

However, Buffon knows that there are some strong teams left in the competition and believes Barcelona are the greatest threat.

“The best team in Europe is always Barcelona,” he said.

“Manchester United have three or four outstanding players, but the rest are not considered to be phenomenal – what makes them strong is how they play as a team.”

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
By outstanding he could mean world class, in which case he'd be right.

I don't want a team full of world class players though as sometimes you can have too much. Just look at Barca with Ronaldinho, Henry, Messi, Eto'o ect.

Madrid in the Galactico era also.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I don't want a team full of world class players though as sometimes you can have too much. Just look at Barca with Ronaldinho, Henry, Messi, Eto'o ect.

Depends how you define 'world class'.

For me, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Ronaldo, Rooney, Berbatov, and possibly a couple of others could walk into most top teams in the world.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Depends how you define 'world class'.

For me, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Ronaldo, Rooney, Berbatov, and possibly a couple of others could walk into most top teams in the world.
bar Berbatov I agree with that.

Although Rio Ferdinand and Rooney aren't rated as highly by people outside of England, from what I hear anyway.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
bar Berbatov I agree with that.

Although Rio Ferdinand and Rooney aren't rated as highly by people outside of England, from what I hear anyway.

They love Rooney in England. He is the one that the managers always praise.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

I take that as a compliment really...i dont care about individual players, i bet the players themselves didnt and its not up to him to rate them, its how they work as a team that matter most.

What he fail to mention is the impact the NOT so outstanding players get from playing alonside these three or four supposingly outstanding players. They learned more and like it or not it make them a better player which make up a strong team, in other team, their players cant even do that so what does that make them?

·
Registered
11,207 Posts

I don't think Buffon is wrong to say that United have 3 or 4 outstanding players, though I would say it is more like 4 or 5.

I just want to say though that the Galacticos DID work and were effective WHILE Makalele was there.

Once he left, the absence of a strong on-field leader/general meant that there were too many uncontrolled egos on the pitch.

For me, Manchester's outstanding players are:
Vidic, Evra, Ferdinand, Ronaldo & Rooney.
If Hargreaves comes back fighting fit and get a decent run, he could well work his way into that category too.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
He makes a fair point that we have '3 or 4 outstanding players'. Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand and Ronaldo are world class, Rooney is getting there.
I'll go ahead and disagree with you there. ;) I rate Rooney more highly than Ronaldo.

Whether or not he's scoring he's never peripheral. He's always there making an impact.

Ronaldo is a completely different player than the boy who arrived but his bag of tricks...

I sometimes think he replies to much on the same flicks & tricks as well as just speed.

It doesn't work against Italian teams or even some La Liga teams. Look at Messi.

There's ball control. Completely different to flicking the ball behind or just running fast.

If Ronaldo has a great showing against Inter I'll change my mind but I think if he wants

to perform against Serie A teams & a better quality of defenders he'll need to change.

Keep the ball glued to his feet, not out in front & then try to run onto it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts