Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Garforth agree deal to sign Cafu

Former AC Milan and Brazil right-back Cafu has been lined up to play for Unibond Northern League team Garforth Town next year.

The club's manager, Simon Clifford, has played down talk of a move in January but has persuaded the 38-year-old to join before the end of the season.

"He's likely to be coming in April to just play a few games," said Clifford.

"It's an honour to have someone like him lining up in our shirt and I think he'll add something on the field."

Clifford runs the Brazilian Soccer Schools coaching organisation and has built up a number of contacts in the game.

In 2004 he attracted Brazil legends Socrates and Careca to play for the club and the addition of Cafu is another major coup for the West Yorkshire town.

Just last season the World Cup winner was plying his trade with AC Milan but was without a club having being released in the summer after five years at the San Siro.

He is Brazil's most capped player of all time having played 142 times for his country and has won the World Cup twice - in 1994 and 2002.

BBC Sport
===================================================
:eek:

Can't believe there isn't a thread on this.

What a coup for them, and I'm sure he'll boost attendances a bit. :)

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
I was reading about his today actually, its pretty damn weird.

Romario and some other semi-retired Brazilians were playing for some team for San Marino at some point as well.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
amazing I remember fastino assprilla was going to sign for darlington a few years ago

he seen his senses in the end and sodded of back to colombia

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
garforth have also had brasilian legends socrates and careca play for them....its because of the chairmans links to brasil as it says in the article, apparently more are on the way after cafu

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
That's unbelievable. Cafu is one of the best ever right-backs. What a brilliant coup for Garforth. Well done them.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
its not a permanent contract.....its the same as with socrates and careca, its usually a month or so and a few games, mainly for publicity purposes

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
reddwarf said:
Well it's definitely working!

I still have no idea where Garforth actually is though!
lol the one they did with socrates a few years ago was more hilarious than good...he was one of my heroes played for brasil in the 82 and 86 world cup, known for his chain smoking even though he was a fully qualified doctor. by the time he arrirved at garforth he was into his 50's if memory serves me and was still a chain smoker....not exactly in his prime anymore, he did manage 12 minutes as a sub though lol :) still great for it to happen though

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
reddwarf said:
Well it's definitely working!

I still have no idea where Garforth actually is though!
Its in West Yorkshire, as it says in the article.

However, here it is. Its not a great map, but its the only one I could find with Garforth on it :p;

1 - 12 of 12 Posts