Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe Pele came out with a statement claiming an African nation would be world champion in the turn of the century . Well were well into it and we still have'nt had a African winner let alone finalist .

So what do you think how close are they to cracking it ?

There seems a wealth of talent to come out of Africa with world class players all over europe but have they got the right temprement or correct finances to set up a training camp .

What do you think is it going to happen and what nation do you think could do it ?

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Over the last decade or 2, a fair few teams have emerged from Africa, some class
teams too, from Cameroon, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Egypt, Ghana to name but a few.
I believe International football is a lot closer than most people think it is.
Any team can beat anyone else on their day. All the teams I mentioned above have
a shot at winning the big one. Why not?

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I always notice during the build up to any world cup there is always a nation from africa who people fancy

1990 Cameroon
1994 Nigeria
1998 Nigeria
2002 Sengal
2006 Ivory coast

And without a doubt all these teams have lit up each world cup they were built up for but always seemed lacking in some departments .

It has never helped that for me there goalkeepers have always been awfull but of late there seems a few who are getting better Kamini and Silva the top two I believe.

Z

·
0 Posts
There are dozens of world class African players, but they're all spread out among dozens of countries. Each country has one, two, maybe three class players and the rest are average so I doubt any team from Africa will win the World Cup in the next couple of decades.

Cameroon - Eto'o
Nigeria - Martins
Ivory Coast - Drogba, Kalou, Yaya/kolo Toure.

See, quite a few of them have big name players, but not enough to compete with the likes of Brazil, Argentina etc. I reckon the Ivory Coast probably have th ebest chance because they've got a few Premiership players and a Barca player, but even their chances are very slim.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
-zuco- said:
There are dozens of world class African players, but they're all spread out among dozens of countries. Each country has one, two, maybe three class players and the rest are average so I doubt any team from Africa will win the World Cup in the next couple of decades.

Cameroon - Eto'o
Nigeria - Martins

See, quite a few of them have big name players, but not enough to compete with the likes of Brazil, Argentina etc. I reckon the Ivory Coast probably have th ebest chance because they've got a few Premiership players and a Barca player, but even their chances are very slim.

Yeah Id agree with you on that but I would say Egypt and Ghana are the better african nations .

Egypt seem to be about the most stable african country that has a chance of doing anything at the moment.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
-zuco- said:

Cameroon - Eto'o
Nigeria - Martins

It will be tough to count them out on their home continent. Not saying I expect any of them to make the finals, but damn its gonna be hot.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Dont forget Ghana have the midfield pairing of Essien and Muntari which would rival ANY midfield pairing in the world.
The talent is there, its only just coming to the forefront in the last 20 years.
These players are very physical, muscular and athletic so they will do well against wee nippers.

And Egypt have won the last 2 ACON's, in style as well, with players like Zaki and other dudes I cant pronounce.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cappy said:
It will be tough to count them out on their home continent. Not saying I expect any of them to make the finals, but damn its gonna be hot.

Id have to agree with that if there ever was a world cup they have a chance in its the next .

I wouldnt just say its the weather I would say it will be the pitchs they will be very dry and hard . It doesnt matter how good the grass they get in is it will dry out in the sun.

I think Egypt will have a big impact in South Africa

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
That's why I would put y money on Argie next World Cup though. Gets hot there, and players didn't have the best conditions growing up there. Plus its a bout time for Brazil to make some noise again. Gonna be one of those two I think with the weather going on there.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
there are plenty of quality players out there but they are split into so many small countries that i can't ever see one of these teams conquering the world.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
-zuco- said:

Cameroon - Eto'o
Nigeria - Martins

See, quite a few of them have big name players, but not enough to compete with the likes of Brazil, Argentina etc.
That's exactly what I was going to say when I saw the thread.

I think African teams can make a big impact in the tournaments, but I think winning it may just be beyond them. Though the talent in Africa is certainly getting better and I expect an African team to win it, possibly in 10-15+ years.

I think that if an African team got decent ties, or if it was in their home nation (or perhaps somewhere in the continent) they would have a much better chance and they could produce something.

I would have to say that Ghana and Egypt are the best teams just now.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
manutd004 said:
I would have to say that Ghana and Egypt are the best teams just now.
Some Canadian fella wrote a book about how almost every single one of Ghana's games are fixed, including ACON and WC games, supposedly he has evidence, but I've never read it, so I'll refrain from forming an opinion on it.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
I don't see it happening in the near future... And by near future i mean the next 3 or 4 world cups.

In 17/18 years, maybe...

But remember, it takes a lot more than just having quality players for every position, it takes quality subs, quality coaches, and, dare i say it, quality support from their countries. I can easier see someone like Spain, Portugal or England wining then an african country.

It's like piazza said, I'm not surprised if a lot of games in african leagues are fixed, and the quality is clearly bellow average. South American football, while not completely corrupt free ( ;) ), is much more widespread, has a lot more history behind it, therefore, a much bigger infrastructure.

you need smaller clubs everywhere, to get every single talent, then medium clubs to "farm" the smaller ones for the best, etc, etc, etc. You're nowhere near that in Africa. you have lots of youth coming form Africa to play in european clubs at the youth level. that way, you never create the player basis for a proper title challenge.

Just look at Portugal. You cannot deny the talent that Portugal has produced in the last few years, we even won 2 youth world cups, in 90 and 92. However, that hasn't given us a significant win in the seniors, altough we have done much, we're still not quite there yet...

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Sporting4Ever said:
Just look at Portugal. You cannot deny the talent that Portugal has produced in the last few years, we even won 2 youth world cups, in 90 and 92. However, that hasn't given us a significant win in the seniors, altough we have done much, we're still not quite there yet...
That's a really good point, Jesus, I'm sure the likes of Portugal, the Netherlands, and probably even Mexico and the US will get one before an African country will.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
piazza said:
That's a really good point, Jesus, I'm sure the likes of Portugal, the Netherlands, and probably even Mexico and the US will get one before an African country will.
Hmmm.... Mexico, can't say I've followed it enough, to be able to give a proper reply. The US, i don't know...

How's the NSL going? Is there new talent coming up, is there potential, or are you yanks still more into baseball, ARF and basketball? Cuz that might make the difference... Remember, in the rest of the world, football is the top dog. In the US, it isn't... I have little doubt that, if americans embraced football, you could be a formidable power in a few short years, team and national... But is there the will?

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Sporting4Ever said:
How's the NSL going? Is there new talent coming up, is there potential, or are you yanks still more into baseball, ARF and basketball? Cuz that might make the difference... Remember, in the rest of the world, football is the top dog. In the US, it isn't... I have little doubt that, if americans embraced football, you could be a formidable power in a few short years, team and national... But is there the will?
Not at all. i mean the people in the USSF obviously have the will, but overall, among society, it just isn't important. There are millions of reasons why, but with the money involved in Amercian football, basketball, and baseball there is no way that football (soccer) will ever be a major player. It is sad, cause if you imagine some off the world class athletes we have in other sports, and picture them on a real football field, there is no doubt in my mind we could be one of the favorites in every major tournament.

and the MLS had its draft today and I couldn't tell you one thing about it, so yeah, it sucks. ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
NO - I doubt it , they obviously have some excellent players and teams like the Cameroon and Nigeria did well periodically....although WC 2010 is in S Africa,
I don't see anything other than a Europe / S.American winner and finalists...
I mean Egyptr looked useful in the ANC, but you would'nt fancy them to knock out
one of the established international powers.......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts