Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Expect Strong Run From Manchester United - Rio Ferdinand
http://www.goal.com/en/news/1710/manchester-united/2008/12/02/993224/expect-strong-run-from-manchester-united-rio-ferdinand

Rio Ferdinand has warned Manchester United's title rivals to expect no mercy from the Red Devils now...

Rio Ferdinand has issued a clear warning to those who'd written off Manchester United's title challenge after they faltered recently at Arsenal. He's stated that United have come through their tough run of fixtures and are now set for a long unbeaten run.

Despite having already faced the eight teams that finished directly below them last season away from home in the league this campaign, United are still well in contention in the league table.

They are only six points behind table-toppers Liverpool and five behind Chelsea. They also have a game in hand on both teams. They have also secured a place in the last -16 of the Champions League with one game, at home to Danish side Aalborg, left to play.

And even with the likely disruption to their season caused by their participation in the World Club Cup in Japan later on this month, Ferdinand thinks that their rivals should be running scared.

"We didn't [set the pace] last season and it didn't do us much harm, but we do need to start winning consistently and hopefully we'll hit some form now and go on a run of winning a lot of games," the England defender told The Times.

"That would get us back up there and challenging. We know we can do that, so there's no need to panic.

"You'd love to be leading the league from day one, but it doesn't often happen like that. When you look around the changing-room and see the quality of players, I know we're good enough to win trophies.

"We're all still confident and believe we can go on a 10- or 20-game unbeaten run. Our aim now is to make sure we're within touching distance at Christmas so we can kick on next year and reel those teams in."

Of United's bitterest rivals from other side of Lancashire, Liverpool, Ferdinand said that no one knows how they will react to the pressure of leading the league in December for the first time in seven years as they struggle to end Anfield's 19 year wait for a title.

"Experience is key when it comes to the title run-in, but sometimes not knowing what to expect can also be beneficial because you go into certain situations with no fear," Ferdinand added.

"Liverpool haven't challenged too seriously for the league for a long time but we won't know what effect that will have on them until the end of the season. That's if they're still there or thereabouts, of course."

Meanwhile, Alex Ferguson was expected to give youth its head again against Blackburn Rovers in the Carling Cup semi-final tomorrow night, with Ben Foster deputising for Edwin van der Sar in goal.

Zack Wilson, Goal.com

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
of course utd can go on a strong run in fact we all expect them to. if this team had played to its best ability we would be clear of the pack , we have got enough talent to beat any team but i think a little self belief has been missing from our performance's to date.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I expect us not to lose in the league for a long time!!! we'll be ruthless, Liverpools record will be in our sights!

the other thread is interesting about the Carling Cup also! we could inadvertantly win the bloody thing! could be our best season yet!

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Can United go on a strong run? Why not?

We've certainly got the ability and character to. If players can stay fit, and with the games coming up, we've got a great chance to.

10 wins on the trot may be a bit ambitious, but we've got to aim for that and stay positive.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
we finished a lot of the tougher games..quite a lot of away games...we might have it easier now and i think we have to take that in our stride and play better and not to slip up against weaker opposition...and give a superb showing against the top four teams and get away with all three points as all our games against them is home.....we have the ability....we just need to bring it out....

·
Registered
601 Posts
nice thread, it will be tough, the squad know the score, they must see this an opportunity to be top before January with pool chelsea dropping points.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
We always seem to have a great run over December/January, and I expect the same, providing the World Club C'ships don't disrupt us too much. Rotation is key around this period obviously, and Fergie is usually spot on.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Because I'm DC said:
We always seem to have a great run over December/January, and I expect the same, providing the World Club C'ships don't disrupt us too much. Rotation is key around this period obviously, and Fergie is usually spot on.
Unfortunately my Milan friend was telling me how much a distraction it proved for them after they won the CL.

You got to imagine for the South American team, it is a dream opportunity to impress against the European champs, knowing there are scouts in the stands.

They will play out of their skins that day.

The quality of the South American champs this year has been questioned, but they will still play 110%, because it could mean the chance to sign a big money contract with a small European club, if they can play well against the CL winners.

Could mean rough tackles and over zealous challenges..... I hope our lads come back without injuries.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts