Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can Wayne Rooney overtake Ronaldo in the players world rankings at the end of this season? Ronny looks a shoe in to get the award for best player in the world for last season. Is this going to be Wayne's big season?

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
I think he definately has the potential too.

What a lot of people outside Manutd don't realise is that last season while Ronaldo scored virtually every chance he got, Rooney missed atleast 80% of his.

He needs to improve his finishing, or to be more precise, be more consistant with it. How many times have we seen Rooney have a bad game, then have one chance 1 on 1 with the Keeper only for Rooney to miss?

For me thats the difference between the two. Ronaldo has that killer instinct, Rooney, at the moment, does not.

Also I think Rooney needs a run of games where he is fit and playing well without getting injured.

At Euro 2004 he was brilliant, scoring goals, setting them then what happens? He gets injured.

In 2006 he plays brilliantly, scoring goals, setting them up again ect then what happens? He breaks his foot vs Chelsea - season over.

In 2007 vs Fulham he was absolutely incredible - then he missed 3 games because of a stupid suspension - his momentum stopped.

Then after 15+ games without a goal he goes on a goal scoring run, which really pushed us that final step in 07 to the title.

Last season in pre season and vs Reading he was looking leaner than ever and everyone thought it was his year, then what happens? He breaks his foot again.

Then when he comes back he goes on another goal scoring run, scoring in 7 competitive games or something like that, then he does his ligaments playing football tennis at training - again his momentum was stopped.

Its getting too repetitive. What Rooney needs is a for right now to be able to play the next 20 games without injury or suspension.

If we look at the different attributes of Rooney and Ronaldo, Ronaldo's are more physical. Taller, quicker, more agile ect wheras Rooney's game involves using his brain, similar to Paul Scholes (who has the best footballing brain at the club). That doesn't mean Rooney isn't good physically - he's a beast, but obviously he is fairly useless in the air and although he's quick, he lacks that lightening pace that players like Ronaldo, Torres, Eto'o ect have.

I've always said that Rooney has the potential to be the best player in the world. Better than Ronaldo, better than Messi, better than Kaka - everyone. He just needs to iron a few things out.

Note aswell that few players actually live up to there potential. The biggest example is Totti. Great player, one of the best in Serie A, but he had the potential to be in the elite group of players, who, for whatever reason, he's failed to 'join'.

I feel I may have rambled on here about nothing but oh well, its late.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
^^^^ That's a super post from TheManc

I'am not going to go into as much detail as that but not so long ago people were begining to question the great Rooney, i love watching this guy play football when he is on form like this..... the boy is like Gazza!!
I think TheManc is spot in with what he said-- Rooney just needs games to get himself fit and when he is fit he is SUPERMAN, England are blessed to have this guy playing for them and so are United!
If he keeps this up we can win the league and Champions League again this year.
And if England keep this up i would go as far as tip them for the World Cup..... all be it been two years away yet but the team is maturing and so will United with them.

All hail Wyane Rooney..... The boy is back!!!!

-

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
he showed a really good form on
the world cup qualifiers with the lions
He showed that he could become a
great striker and a side attack..
i think he can come up as our new goal
scorer this season!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Well, my article on Rooney is still on the blog if anybody wishes to read it.

I said three things:

1. Fergie needs to start playing more centrally
2. Wayne needs to stay injury free
3. He needs to become more clinical.

The sad thing is that he was very clinical when he first joined the club and could score from every conceivable angle, but as the pressure piled up and the confidence of youth wore off, his finishing declined.
For me, his poor finishing is about his mental readniess and coolness.

I'm so glad he has been back amongst the goals, because he seems to need a few games to find his scoring boots. If Rooney stays fit, I don't see why he can't score more than Ronaldo and Berba.

Will he overtake Ronaldo in the rankings for the Ballon d'Or?

He could, but it would take a monumental effort.

He does not have the silky smooth control of Messi or the athletism and speed of Ronaldo, BUT he is a pure footballer and he has power.

He is so physically strong for his size that he is a force to be reckoned with.

Also, even if his ball control is not as good as Messi's is still pretty incredible.

Since Wayne's game is based on power, vision and positioning, he needs to score as many goals and make as many assists as possible. That is how the journalists will take notice and appreciate him.

He might not move gracegully like kaka, Ronaldinho and Messi - nay, his is a different brand of football, but he is gifted and deserving nonetheless.

If he keeps his head clear and focused and continues to score like he has, he will have a shot.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
the guy stalled for a while, not down to his own fault, the ability of the guy and his adaptability has seen him utilised in a few positions which isn't going to see him settled and know exactly where he is going to be playing week in week out, not being used centrally with another striker all the time has also affected his scoring.to be fair though the guy scores in bursts anyway, just as many forwards do.
not sure whether he will overtake ronaldo et al, as his games not necessarily about flash skills ( though he has more than most players), but hopefully this season will see him continue to build on what's gone before, he had a little stutter but seems to be heading back to his best

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
the obvious key with rooney is to play him in the correct position centre forward ,like england did for the last one and half games and he got 4 goals , its no good pushing him out on the wing he just gets frustated out there and when a chance comes along he mostly fluffs it.
we all know how good the lad can be so give him his favoured position and leave him cause the opponents problems, playing him out of position could ruin him like we did to alan smith who has forgotten how to be a striker after utd played him in many positions.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I certainly hope so.

I was predicting great things from Rooney last season but he never really got going. His injuries were probably a big factor in that.

The problem for Rooney in previous seasons is that he tended to go on scoring runs followed by sizeable non-scoring droughts. Consistency is always the key for young players, and Rooney still is a young player. If he can maintain his goal scoring form on a consistent basis then combined with his unbelieveable all-round ability he has the potential to be one of THE great players.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
reddwarf said:
I certainly hope so.

I was predicting great things from Rooney last season but he never really got going. His injuries were probably a big factor in that.

The problem for Rooney in previous seasons is that he tended to go on scoring runs followed by sizeable non-scoring droughts. Consistency is always the key for young players, and Rooney still is a young player. If he can maintain his goal scoring form on a consistent basis then combined with his unbelieveable all-round ability he has the potential to be one of THE great players.
there's been many forwards who have that frustrating quality to go on scoring runs then nothing for game after game, who still score many goals a season but aren't the most consitent a- goal every two games all year round types. takes all sorts for a team, but with the guy's who have runs of goals here and there it's so frustrating to watch them when they're having a barren spell knowing what they can do.
hoping wazza can get into the routine now and get that consistency and do it week in week out, if he could master it he'd be 30-40 goals a season man

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
scottsati said:
there's been many forwards who have that frustrating quality to go on scoring runs then nothing for game after game,
True, but last season Ronaldo would score in 3 games in a row, then not score for 1 or 2 games, then score in a few games in a row, then not score for a couple etc.

It's the long droughts that concern me - 8, 9, 10 games. Confidence must be a big factor and Ronaldo has it in abundance. With the ability Rooney has he is definitely capable of 30+ goals per season.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Rooney scored twice for England against Belarus. The second goal was a peach. Rooney's hit top form.

*waits for the metatarsal injury* :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
TheManc said:
I think he definately has the potential too.

What a lot of people outside Manutd don't realise is that last season while Ronaldo scored virtually every chance he got, Rooney missed atleast 80% of his.

He needs to improve his finishing, or to be more precise, be more consistant with it. How many times have we seen Rooney have a bad game, then have one chance 1 on 1 with the Keeper only for Rooney to miss?

For me thats the difference between the two. Ronaldo has that killer instinct, Rooney, at the moment, does not.

Also I think Rooney needs a run of games where he is fit and playing well without getting injured.

At Euro 2004 he was brilliant, scoring goals, setting them then what happens? He gets injured.

In 2006 he plays brilliantly, scoring goals, setting them up again ect then what happens? He breaks his foot vs Chelsea - season over.

In 2007 vs Fulham he was absolutely incredible - then he missed 3 games because of a stupid suspension - his momentum stopped.

Then after 15+ games without a goal he goes on a goal scoring run, which really pushed us that final step in 07 to the title.

Last season in pre season and vs Reading he was looking leaner than ever and everyone thought it was his year, then what happens? He breaks his foot again.

Then when he comes back he goes on another goal scoring run, scoring in 7 competitive games or something like that, then he does his ligaments playing football tennis at training - again his momentum was stopped.

Its getting too repetitive. What Rooney needs is a for right now to be able to play the next 20 games without injury or suspension.

If we look at the different attributes of Rooney and Ronaldo, Ronaldo's are more physical. Taller, quicker, more agile ect wheras Rooney's game involves using his brain, similar to Paul Scholes (who has the best footballing brain at the club). That doesn't mean Rooney isn't good physically - he's a beast, but obviously he is fairly useless in the air and although he's quick, he lacks that lightening pace that players like Ronaldo, Torres, Eto'o ect have.

I've always said that Rooney has the potential to be the best player in the world. Better than Ronaldo, better than Messi, better than Kaka - everyone. He just needs to iron a few things out.

Note aswell that few players actually live up to there potential. The biggest example is Totti. Great player, one of the best in Serie A, but he had the potential to be in the elite group of players, who, for whatever reason, he's failed to 'join'.

I feel I may have rambled on here about nothing but oh well, its late.
Thats a brilliant post, it highlights everything! That suspension was particularly frustrating!!

Its true if he can keep his momentum going he can prove to every1 that he is the best in the world.. I already know he is but its a matter of him being consistently brilliant!

The key could be Berbatov, he needs to play in the second striker role, and he could have a really great season this year, please god no metatarsals halt his form!

Believe it or not I put a 10euro bet on Rooney to win World player of the year for both next year and the year after... i did this when he signed for us!!!

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
:) theres nothing to stop him overtaking Ronnie,he's in form and is playing so well,i mean really well,i'd love to see him do well,he works so hard bless him...:)

go on Wayne keep going .....:D

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
abojodeh said:
is Rooney the world cups qualifiers top goal scorer atm ?
Good question abo. :)

In the European zone he is currently tied for 1st on 5 goals with David Villa (Spain) and Wesley Soncke (Belgium).

Theo Walcott is currently tied for 7th place on 3 goals, alongside the likes of Miroslav Klose, Lukas Podolski (both Germany) and Yossi Benayoun (Israel).

1 - 20 of 54 Posts