Manchester United Talk banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
well where are the rooney doubters now , they were all saying tevez is far superior and should start ahead of rooney.
It was amazing they were all knocking him

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
hopefull really stick it to ronny
but usally wazza goes on socring runs like this
gets injured r has a bad match
then takes him another few moths to get back to top form
hopefuly this season he can keep it going throught
no injurys just pure goals
needs help from fergie though to keep playing him in his prefered postion

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Rooney has a long way to go imo before he can be put into the same bracket as ronaldo, messi, kaka, ronaldinho...why?

Because like some of you have mentioned, he has had too many injuries and is not always consistant in comparison to say ronaldo who in his last two seasons has been nothing short of immense.

Even if you ignore the fact that he scored 42 goals last season and had a season which was unbelievable, the season before he was amazing without scoring as many goals. What happened the two seasons that Ronaldo established himself as the main man at OTT and one of the top three players in the world?...United win the premier league twice and win the champions league.

For rooney to be recognised in the same respect, one he has to score more goals ofcourse but he has to be the main player, the difference, the catalyst of why we win trophies and league cups...and quite frankly with ronaldo around i question whether this will happen.

Ronaldo is quicker, gets past players better, has just as good vision, better with his weaker foot...if you consider ronaldos left foot weaker..is better in the air...can score and set up goals just like rooney...scores goals from outside the box and inside the box from all sorts of angles with either foot and has better technique...Also ronaldo seems to bring the best out of the other attacking players at united such as rooney as he makes space for them.

So do i think rooney will overtake ronaldo? Not yet imo, he needs to play a season without injury and at his peak and get himself recognised throughout the world again rather than worry about overtaking ronaldo because imo this year if it will be anyone elses, it will be messis, not rooneys.

I do think that rooney can have a season where he scores more goals than ronaldo though, that on paper should be pretty easy considering he is in central positions more than ronaldo and gets alot more 'easy' chances that ronnie...Though ronnie does take the pens at united.

Anyway rooney still can improve loads yet imo because he can get himself in better shape, be lighter on his feet, improve his finishing and find his boots where he used to run at players again...but is a very natural talent like ronaldo so he has all the attributes to be a top top player, but whether he achieves all this is another thing.

One thing on rooneys side is that he does have a very good football brain so when he is older, 27-28, he may not need pace to be very effective while we all know that pace is one of ronaldos great attributes right now because of the runs he makes with his speed...

Anyway both are top players but there are many and the likes of messi will be making bigger noise for the next european footballer of the year award rather than rooney should he continue his current form...

This years award has to go to ronaldo though.

pz

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
TheManc & OG-Great posts lads.

TheManc went through it all on the injury front and it seems pretty obvious that
its the reason Rooney has been so stop-start in his United career.

His form now is sensational AND he is getting the goals he deserves, which is
really what strikers perfomances are based on-scoring goals.

7 goals in 5 games for club and country, scoring in all 5.
He needs to keep it up and hit the net against WBA.

I have been saying for a few years now, that 'this will be Rooney's year' and its never really materialised, so here's hoping it will be his year THIS year.

Id love to see him hit 30 goals and be the match winner in loadsa games.

A lot of us (including me)were saying that Tevez deserved his chance ahead of
Wayne in certain games cos of the Argentinian's great form.

But now how could you leave Rooney out? answer is you couldnt.

It all bodes well for saturday and the season.

I saw my mate the other day,
He said to me he seen the white Pele,
So I asked who is he,
He goes by the name of Wayne Rooney.

Wayne Rooney, Wayne Rooney,
Wayne Rooney, Wayne Rooney,

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Rio attributes Rooney form to Berba
by Joseph Caron Dawe, 16 October 2008

Rio Ferdinand has credited the arrival of Dimitar Berbatov at Manchester United as the driving force behind Wayne Rooney's current form.

England international Rooney has been in sensational shape for both club and country this season, and his international and club team-mate Ferdinand believes Bulgarian striker Berbatov – who arrived from Tottenham on transfer deadline day – is the spur for the 22-year-old's dazzling displays.

Rooney has hit five goals in his last three internationals after a scoring hiatus of almost a year, and he has been instrumental for The Red Devils as well.

“Wayne is confident, playing well - and being honest, one of the reasons I was happy that Berbatov signed for United was that I knew it would inspire other players in the team to step their game up another level," said Ferdinand.

"It's not just the forwards but the other players as well - because when a new player comes in that's what happens.

"Everyone wants to impress that player and show them why they are playing for Manchester United. I think 'Wazza' has taken that on board and gone from strength to strength.

"I think they can be a great pairing - but what I'm getting at is Berbatov's arrival will help him become a better player individually and go to another level.

"'Wazza' scored 15 goals last season, and made 15 'assists'. That was a great season, and yet he wants to keep on improving and keep on getting better - and he's doing that.

"Some players go into their shells and can't handle it.

"They think 'I can't do this'. They either end up playing rubbish, or you get others like Wayne who take on that battle head first - and he's doing that."

Ferdinand continued: "He's a nightmare to play against, and that's why I'm delighted he's at United - so I don't have to play against him.

"Someone who works that hard, scores goals and he's up there with the best in the world when it all comes together."

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
I'd say I'm inclined to agree with Rio Ferdinand. Berbatov has helped Wayne out tremendously, and their chemistry can only improve from this point.

·
Registered
310 Posts
stretty said:
well where are the rooney doubters now , they were all saying tevez is far superior and should start ahead of rooney.
I was thinking the exact same thing! Only 3 weeks ago numerous people on here
were calling for Rooney to be dropped but i don't think anyone would say that
now!

·
23,699 Posts
Stretty said:
RedMurph7 said:
now!
Perfectly normal. Nothing to scorn about too.

Form over reputation should always be the rule of the day. Besides, every fan would surely want to see the best in-form players playing for the team for the obvious reason.

Not too sure about Rio's claim of Rooney benefitting from Berbatov though (yet to see any electrifying moments between them to be honest) but more likely, a little rest on the bench to refresh/fire him up, playing off a centre forward for England (instead of playing on the wings) and a good spell free from injury may have done the trick.

And perhaps a little less presence in his own half helps too (noticed England have CMs to 'carry the ball forward').

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
United_OG said:
R

For rooney to be recognised in the same respect, one he has to score more goals of course but he has to be the main player, the difference, the catalyst of why we win trophies and league cups...and quite frankly with ronaldo around i question whether this will happen.

So do i think rooney will overtake ronaldo? Not yet imo, he needs to play a season without injury and at his peak and get himself recognised throughout the world again rather than worry about overtaking ronaldo because imo this year if it will be anyone elses, it will be messis, not rooneys.

Anyway rooney still can improve loads yet imo because he can get himself in better shape, be lighter on his feet, improve his finishing and find his boots where he used to run at players again...but is a very natural talent like ronaldo so he has all the attributes to be a top top player, but whether he achieves all this is another thing.

One thing on rooneys side is that he does have a very good football brain so when he is older, 27-28, he may not need pace to be very effective while we all know that pace is one of ronaldos great attributes right now because of the runs he makes with his speed...

pz

All very good points.

I really do hope that Rooney can continue his current form for a while.

One interesting thing is that even though Ronaldo seemed to win the games last season, whenever Rooney didn't play it was much more noticeable.

This wasn't true this season until he came on as a sub against Bolton.

Being benched on that game sort of gave him a sense of urgency and created determination for him to stamp his authority.

In that respect, i don't think Rooney will have a hard time showing his importance to the team, but what he needs to do is simply score goals.

I think that Wayne has more room for improvement in Ronaldo nd by that I mean we haven't seen Wayne at his best yet.

You are right that he has a brilliant footballing brain and get eady to see him amongt Europe's elite for a while yet.

When age starts taking away his pace he can always be played deeper in a Scholes type of position.

I just feel that 2009 will be a good year for him to have a crack at the Ballon d'Or.

Whenever there are international tournaments like the WC in 2010 it tends to lend importance to the candidates for the Ballon d'Or.

So IF England and Rooney do well, then it would be good news for Rooney, but who can predict these things?

I feel that if Rooney has a great 2008/09 season and play well for club and country he might be in with a shout for the 2009 awards.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Rooney gets his goalscoring power when he has a haircut. last season, ronaldo said he cut his hair before every game. he ended scoring 42 goals. my point is, rooney stays bald, he finish the season with 30+.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
i duno if he can score as many as ronaldo for sure i hope he does but hes a streaky player if he can keep scoring by all means good

but for me wayne rooney is far more im important than this ronaldo kid :p

wayne brings the team together and links up play when hes on the pitch somthing will always happen

were as ronaldo is always in the right place at the right time and does his job well

they both have they amazing quiltys but for me i wouldnt have it any other way

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
Nav21 said:
Rooney gets his goalscoring power when he has a haircut. last season, ronaldo said he cut his hair before every game. he ended scoring 42 goals. my point is, rooney stays bald, he finish the season with 30+.
its like that samson bloke just the other way round :p
(was it samson? or samsung? or am i a million miles off :p)

anyway nice theory lets hope united hire a good styleist if they are gunna keep this up

although it has a flaw with rooneys if he keeps having it cut how short cat it go to the skull.......???!?!:p

·
Registered
99 Posts
andersons_left_foot said:
its like that samson bloke just the other way round :p
(was it samson? or samsung? or am i a million miles off :p)

anyway nice theory lets hope united hire a good styleist if they are gunna keep this up

although it has a flaw with rooneys if he keeps having it cut how short cat it go to the skull.......???!?!:p

All kidding aside. rooney can be the best in the world. i agree that staying injuries free is key for him to be the best. ronaldo showed it last season. if he keeps playing, scoring 1 or 2 a game like he's done for the last couple of games. then, there a feeling at the begining of a game that he will score. theirs that added pressure from fans and sir alex to produce the goods. He knows that we are all depending on him for the next 5 or more years to lead us to more glory & slowly you will see that he will produce magic in more or less every game. What a future united & england captain we have here. Maybe 2-3 years time.

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
rooney is absolutely awesome to watch at the moment, his play in the last 8 games has been sensational, if he can keep this form going he is sure to have the season of his life, he wasnt too bad last season either...
i would put money on him getting pfa and players player of the season.

·
Registered
601 Posts
i think rooney and ronaldo will get 30 goals each, i think with berba, tevez, ronaldo and rooneys movement, it will make opertunity for chances in the game. Aslong as they keep fit.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
RedMurph7 said:
now!
I can fully understand those ppl who criticise Rooney. In some respects, such criticism was even justified. He only scored only a meagre 12 goals in the Premiership last season, a figure that pales in comparison to Ronaldo's tally of 31. Also, he has yet to deliver on the promise he has showed when he was at Everton.

What some observers overlook, however, is that Wazza also suffered a number of injury setbacks and played just 27 league games. He also filled several different positions throughout the campaign; indeed, he was even deployed in defensive roles during a number of ties in the Champions League.

So what are the main reasons for him looking really sharp & playing some great football recently?

Confidence Factor

His finishing depends a lot on his confidence. When he builds up momentum he gets into a rhythm where he is able to finish basically anything. He is taking on defenders too and beating them, like the Rooney of old.

Rooney's finishing prowess was always there but the confidence factor makes him miss sitters but he has improved his temperament in the last couple of seasons, even when he got marked out through out a game. Thus, it seems that his confidence level is very high now.

Playing In Position

Next up, is the position in which the manager stations him in. When Rooney plays in position he is visibly more comfortable, more confident and inevitably takes his chances in front of goal better. While when Rooney is out of position he isnt comfortable and makes silly mistakes with his finishing and passing. It's as simple as that. Needless to add, his favourite position is that of a withdrawn forward. When he's played exclusively as that (he's been recently), scoring isn't a problem.

A Target-Man As Strike Parner

Rooney brings others into the game with his clever passing and inter-play with the midfielders and wingers. He benefits massively by having a typical centre forward to play off, as has been displayed recently by his red hot form for England while being paired with Heskey. The signing of Berbatov will benefit him greatly as it will give him the freedom to do his thing and the goal burden isn't on him alone. Berbatov will stay up front, Rooney will drop deep, sometimes starting off our attacks and then make his clever runs into the box and finish them off with aplomb.

Ability To Stay Injury-Free

Also, last but not least, is his prevention to injuries streak. He's actually a very good finisher and will score bucketful of goals if he's given a constant run of games uninterrupted by injuries. If he's able to have a run of games, he gets some decent match-fitness. When he does, he hits some form. And now he's absolutely lethal in front of goal.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
rooney's in magnificent form at present and its a pleasure to watch him , but i think playing alongside berbatov has had a big influence in his sensational performance's in the last 3 weeks.
i feel sorry for tevez who was showing better form than rooney in the earlier games but i have always said rooney and tevez are too similar to get the best out of each other and at the moment i am proved right , it looks like ronaldo does not want to be at utd in his body language and attitude to the crowd if he continues to sulk i would sell him in january just after he wins world player of the year , we should get maximum dollar then:D .

21 - 40 of 54 Posts