Manchester United Talk banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,703 Posts
The only reason Totti is never in the top 5 when it comes to footie is because he has only ever won one Scudetto, a World Cup and a Coppa Italia or two.
 

·
Least popular Moderator
Joined
·
24,837 Posts
lol "only a world cup" - thats more than Ronaldo and Messi have won together at international level.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
23,699 Posts
red_devils4life said:
I can fully understand those ppl who criticise Rooney. In some respects, such criticism was even justified. He only scored only a meagre 12 goals in the Premiership last season, a figure that pales in comparison to Ronaldo's tally of 31. Also, he has yet to deliver on the promise he has showed when he was at Everton.

What some observers overlook, however, is that Wazza also suffered a number of injury setbacks and played just 27 league games. He also filled several different positions throughout the campaign; indeed, he was even deployed in defensive roles during a number of ties in the Champions League.

So what are the main reasons for him looking really sharp & playing some great football recently?

Confidence Factor

His finishing depends a lot on his confidence. When he builds up momentum he gets into a rhythm where he is able to finish basically anything. He is taking on defenders too and beating them, like the Rooney of old.

Rooney’s finishing prowess was always there but the confidence factor makes him miss sitters but he has improved his temperament in the last couple of seasons, even when he got marked out through out a game. Thus, it seems that his confidence level is very high now.

Playing In Position

Next up, is the position in which the manager stations him in. When Rooney plays in position he is visibly more comfortable, more confident and inevitably takes his chances in front of goal better. While when Rooney is out of position he isnt comfortable and makes silly mistakes with his finishing and passing. It's as simple as that. Needless to add, his favourite position is that of a withdrawn forward. When he's played exclusively as that (he's been recently), scoring isn't a problem.

A Target-Man As Strike Parner

Rooney brings others into the game with his clever passing and inter-play with the midfielders and wingers. He benefits massively by having a typical centre forward to play off, as has been displayed recently by his red hot form for England while being paired with Heskey. The signing of Berbatov will benefit him greatly as it will give him the freedom to do his thing and the goal burden isn't on him alone. Berbatov will stay up front, Rooney will drop deep, sometimes starting off our attacks and then make his clever runs into the box and finish them off with aplomb.

Ability To Stay Injury-Free

Also, last but not least, is his prevention to injuries streak. He's actually a very good finisher and will score bucketful of goals if he's given a constant run of games uninterrupted by injuries. If he's able to have a run of games, he gets some decent match-fitness. When he does, he hits some form. And now he's absolutely lethal in front of goal.
Still can't believe you are only 15. :eek: Nothing much can be added to it.

Ronaldo's current sky-high position is largely due to his extraordinary season of 42goals as a winger in which many a times he was the match winner, or simply translated as having the necessary impact/influence to win games for the team consistently throughout the season. This feat, however, is widely recognised as unlikely to be repeated.

That means Rooney CAN overtake Ronaldo IF he also has the necessary impact/influence for both United and England consistently throughout the season (like what he is now currently doing and enjoying to the delight of both sets of fans), may or may not necessary be in terms of goals. In addition, his drive, will and spirit are certainly way above that of Ronaldo, which put him in a better stead most naturally. And as he matures as a player, his inconsistencies are expected to be reduced accordingly too. All these bode well for him to come out on top of Ronaldo, something all fans, covertly or not, hope to witness for the obvious reason(s).

But WILL he? That would depends on the various factors put forward by RD4L. The signs are so far so good as both Capello and Fergie are finally 'learning their lesson' and getting less inclined to overuse a big-hearted and self-sacrificial players' player.
 

·
He wipes front to back
Joined
·
27,654 Posts
versa said:
Still can't believe you are only 15. :eek: Nothing much can be added to it.

Ronaldo's current sky-high position is largely due to his extraordinary season of 42goals as a winger in which many a times he was the match winner, or simply translated as having the necessary impact/influence to win games for the team consistently throughout the season. This feat, however, is widely recognised as unlikely to be repeated.

That means Rooney CAN overtake Ronaldo IF he also has the necessary impact/influence for both United and England consistently throughout the season (like what he is now currently doing and enjoying to the delight of both sets of fans), may or may not necessary be in terms of goals. In addition, his drive, will and spirit are certainly way above that of Ronaldo, which put him in a better stead most naturally. And as he matures as a player, his inconsistencies are expected to be reduced accordingly too. All these bode well for him to come out on top of Ronaldo, something all fans, covertly or not, hope to witness for the obvious reason(s).

But WILL he? That would depends on the various factors put forward by RD4L. The signs are so far so good as both Capello and Fergie are finally 'learning their lesson' and getting less inclined to overuse a big-hearted and self-sacrificial players' player.
ronnie is a shoe in for player of the year because put simply he was breathtaking brilliant sublime different class . wayne will need to continue for next 5 or 6 months putting in performances to be in with a shout of next years gong
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
23,699 Posts
haggler said:
ronnie is a shoe in for player of the year because put simply he was breathtaking brilliant sublime different class . wayne will need to continue for next 5 or 6 months putting in performances to be in with a shout of next years gong
His reputation such as White Pele etc may just help him sooner than later.... if he could maintain impactful performances for the rest of the season. I mean, even if Fletcher could do that season after season, I doubt he will stand a chance to win it. All judges are human and all humans are biased to a certain degree. :p
 

·
MUT all-time great
Joined
·
21,962 Posts
PeeJay said:
The only reason Totti is never in the top 5 when it comes to footie is because he has only ever won one Scudetto, a World Cup and a Coppa Italia or two.
Yes, a world cup. Just the most sought after trophy in the history of the universe. Not to mention, individually he's won, and is a member of the following:

# Serie A Young Footballer of the Year: 1999
# Euro 2000 Team of the Tournament
# Serie A Footballer of the Year: 2000, 2003
# FIFA 100
# 2006 FIFA World Cup All-Star Team
# Italian Footballer of the Year: 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007
# Serie A Top Scorer: 2006-07
# European Golden Boot: 2006-07
# AS Roma all-time leading scorer
# AS Roma all-time highest number of appearances
# Silver Ball (fair play): 2007-08

Paltry career, yeah? Hasn't accomplished much, yeah?
 

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,076 Posts
i remember back in 2005 saying to my mate about rooney : "it's only a matter of time before this guy become's world's best player ".....and i really ment it...but now, ........i HOPE so - but highly unlikely - with messi playing better and better week in week out i think rooney will not achieve that....i expect him to get injured in a few weeks time tbh...metatarsal
 

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,076 Posts
piazza said:
Yes, a world cup. Just the most sought after trophy in the history of the universe. Not to mention, individually he's won, and is a member of the following:

# Serie A Young Footballer of the Year: 1999
# Euro 2000 Team of the Tournament
# Serie A Footballer of the Year: 2000, 2003
# FIFA 100
# 2006 FIFA World Cup All-Star Team
# Italian Footballer of the Year: 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007
# Serie A Top Scorer: 2006-07
# European Golden Boot: 2006-07
# AS Roma all-time leading scorer
# AS Roma all-time highest number of appearances
# Silver Ball (fair play): 2007-08

Paltry career, yeah? Hasn't accomplished much, yeah?
these are not rewards mate....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,547 Posts
What's Roo Worth Now ...£100m?

Sir Alex Ferguson is doing his best to damp down the euphoria being heaped on man-of-the-moment Wayne Rooney.



But the Manchester United manager is fighting a losing battle, for Rooney is on fire and the bandwagon rolls on.

Ferguson's insistence that Rooney has played as well as this in the past for United and that he is just a member of our team was understandable.

The most experienced manager in the business will always promote the team ethic above adulation for the individual.

Yet the simple fact is that the quality and consistency of Rooney's displays make it impossible to ignore his headline-making claims.

Not even those who suffer at the 22-year-old's hands are averse to singing his praises.

Ferguson's former midfielder Jonathan Greening, now skipper of Albion, admitted he and his team-mates had found Rooney unstoppable as he scored one, made two and generally terrorised the Premier League new boys.

“Rooney is just awesome, isn't he,†said Greening. “He's one of the best players in the world, even at his young age.


“It's very hard to pick him, either in the hole or when he drifts wide or drops off. He's fast and he's strong. I don't think there's a weakness in his game.â€


On the eve of the match, Ferguson had reiterated his right to play Rooney in whichever role he deemed best for the team, despite the player's preference for operating through the middle.


Here, Rooney got his wish, tucking in behind Dimitar Berbatov.


But the simple fact is - and no-one knows it better than Ferguson - that Rooney has licence to roam. And to kill.


Greening said: “It simply doesn't matter where Alex Ferguson plays him. You've just got to let him play where he feels he will be effective.


“If he's getting joy down the left, he'll go there and if he's getting joy down the right, he'll go there.


“I watched him play for England in midweek and he was awesome. There's just no stopping him at the moment.

“In the world today you've got players like Messi, who is truly a great player, but we're lucky in England to have a player like Wayne Rooney because he's somebody who can change a game, a bit like Paul Gascoigne used to.


“Of course, the scary thing about Wayne is he's still only 22, so his best years are still ahead of him.


“They say you don't hit your best form until you're 27 or 28 so I dread to think what he will be like when he's that age.


“Wayne's work-rate has always been outstanding. At the moment he's hitting tremendous final passes and scoring goals too.


‘The thing is, in a team like United's, he's just going to go on learning and get better. He's going to be some player in four or five years.â€


After three times going close to breaking Albion's resistance, Rooney finally struck - his eighth goal in six matches for club and country - with a lovely near-post finish following Berbatov's excellent through pass.


Rooney went on to lay on goals for Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani, with Berbatov stabbing in his first league goal for United in between.


Rooney, who hits the ripe old age of 23 on Friday, agreed with the suggestion that he is in the form of his life.


Then he confirmed Greening's ‘scary' prediction by insisting: “I know I can play better. I know I can get better so I've got to keep working on the training ground and, hopefully, there will be better performances to come.


“I've probably not had a better week in professional football. I've played well for England, we won both games, I got four goals, and I've scored again for United.


I've worked on every part of my game. I work on different things and thankfully it's starting to pay off.


Amid the focus on Rooney's fabulous performance, Greening found time to highlight the contribution of former team-mate Ryan Giggs.


He will be 35 next month but now revels in a central midfield role.


“You simply can't fault Ryan Giggs,†said Greening. “He's played 700-odd games here and he's still going strong. He sprinted 70, 80 yards to chase our centre-forward in the 88th minute and then a minute later hit the pass which led to the fourth goal. He is some pro, some player.


The scary thing is he could still be doing it for another two or three years, especially playing that role.


Albion, blasted by four goals in the final 35 minutes, were left licking their wounds and vowing to fight on. “I don't think we could compromise our beliefs,†said Greening.


“Playing the way we did last season we proved a lot of people wrong by winning the league.


“OK, we just couldn't stop United once they scored, but it won't stop us carrying on playing the way we do. We like to play attractive, passing football and, hopefully, that will continue and see us through.â€


Boss Tony Mowbray admitted: “Realistically, we can't compete with United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. Our big game is next week against Hull.


“The world-class players in the Premier League are with the top four clubs, particularly up front.


“They score goals while everyone else finds it hard to score on a regular basis.


[OLOR="Red"]“I don't want to turn it into a money issue, but these are £30m players. I mean, what is Rooney worth now, £100m?â€[/COLOR]

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/55329/What-s-Roo-worth-now-100m-/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,207 Posts
http://www.sportinglife.com/footbal...22/SOCCER_Man_Utd_Ferguson.html&TEAMHD=soccer

Rooney got his name on the scoresheet late on, completing a one-sided 'Battle of Britain' with his ninth goal in seven games for club and country.

It is the kind of hot streak that has been the trademark of Rooney's career, although Ferguson feels the England star is starting to inch towards the level of performance that is expected to win Ronaldo numerous world player of the year prizes.

"Wayne is capable of getting to that level," said Ferguson.

"Both him and Cristiano were teenagers when they came to us but their progress has been fantastic.

"The only reason we are not talking about Wayne at the same level as Cristiano is the fact one of them scored 42 goals last season. That is why Cristiano should win the Balon D'Or.

"If Wayne can get to that sort of level, he is there."


For once, Ronaldo found himself upstaged as United eased home.
 

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,076 Posts
Wayne Rooney has thanked Dimitar Berbatov and Carlos Tevez for inspiring him to the best form of his career. Rooney scored for the seventh game in a row for club and country as Manchester United beat Celtic in the Champions League and says competition for places is the key.The arrival at Old Trafford of former Tottenham striker Berbatov, who scored twice against the SPL champions, has upped the ante for United's forwards and brought the best out of Rooney.

The England striker said: "I'm doing well at the minute and enjoying myself so I hope it can continue.

"I'm enjoying the way we are playing and I'm doing well and scoring goals. I'm trying to be a bit more consistent with my goals and hopefully it's happening for me.

"We have brilliant strikers here and they are helping me. Against Celtic, Berba did really well to score his goals and Carlos Tevez came on and looked sharp and created a goal for me, too.

"We've got a lot of top class strikers here and you have to be at your best to stay in the team."



great talk wayne - it shows that tevez-rooney combo hasn't lost it ! especialy with the pace and creativness tevez brought in the team - after all he did have assist to wayne
 
Z

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
red_devils4life said:
A Target-Man As Strike Parner

Rooney brings others into the game with his clever passing and inter-play with the midfielders and wingers. He benefits massively by having a typical centre forward to play off, as has been displayed recently by his red hot form for England while being paired with Heskey. The signing of Berbatov will benefit him greatly as it will give him the freedom to do his thing and the goal burden isn't on him alone. Berbatov will stay up front, Rooney will drop deep, sometimes starting off our attacks and then make his clever runs into the box and finish them off with aplomb.
versa said:
Still can't believe you are only 15.
It's easy to sound clever when he's copying posts from other forums and using them as his own.

Check PM I'm about to send.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
23,699 Posts
Blade said:
It's easy to sound clever when he's copying posts from other forums and using them as his own.

Check PM I'm about to send.
Any other 'familiar' cross-forum posts you see that are from different 'authors'?! :rolleyes:
 
41 - 54 of 54 Posts
Top