Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking on Wiki at Eric Cantona's career and I read this interesting part:

However on the Contrary he was interviewed in the Number 7's issue of 'United Magazine' in August 2006 stating he will only come back to Manchester United as 'Number 1' (meaning not return as assistant manager or coach) and would create a team like no other and play the way he thinks football should be played.

Cantona opposed the Malcolm Glazer takeover of Manchester United, and has stated that he will not return to the club, even as a manager, while the Glazer family is in charge. This came as a disappointment to the many United fans who voted him as their choice for United's next manager in survey over the summer of 2000.[11]

However, in July 2008 it was reported in the Sunday Express that Eric has been having second thoughts, with a close friend of Cantona revealing: “Eric does fancy the idea of helping out with the coaching at a club like Manchester United. “He has been enjoying himself appearing in and directing films and being involved in beach soccer but has always wanted to help produce a team in his style and knows that Sir Alex Ferguson would encourage him.”

Despite his vow that he would never return while the Glazers remained in control of Manchester United it appears that he has mellowed over that stance.[12]

ObViously its only Wiki which is hardly the most factual website, but what would be think if somehow, someday, Cantona returned as a coach?

Z

·
0 Posts
No chance. The man is a living legend but he's far too volatile for a job like this and isn't even close to having the relevant experience.

I wouldn't mind him having a coaching role at the club like some of our ex players do, but I'd be very sceptic of his ability to step into Fergie's shoes.

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
no chance of him ever getting the united job , he hasn't bothered his arse getting any experience , not to mention his temperment.

he is still a god.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
If he was to come as a coach, I'd like to see that.

However, any suggestion of him coming straight in as a manager is laughable imho. He has no relevant experience, and would be extremely risky.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
-zuco- said:
No chance. The man is a living legend but he's far too volatile for a job like this and isn't even close to having the relevant experience.

I wouldn't mind him having a coaching role at the club like some of our ex players do, but I'd be very sceptic of his ability to step into Fergie's shoes.
That was the point of the thread, whether or not you'd like him here as a coach, not a manager.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Eric as a coach - yes

Eric as our next manager - sadly no

He doesn't have the experience to be thrown in at the deep end wit United. I would love to see him back involved in the club in some way though.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
Why not ? Everyone has to begin from some point, and to say no to someone you haven't seen doin the job yet is a bit unbiased.

·
Registered
734 Posts
not a hope as great as he was who does he think he is to try and just walk into the managers job with no experience, look at Ole hes with the reserves and still getting first hand experience off Fergie in my opinion Cantona can remain a legend and stay where he is, id prefer to have a true pro like Ole someone who is as much of a legend and goes about everything the rite way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts