i think cantona is maybe the right man
even so i dont think we will win a trophy with him in the first season
or even he may need about 6 years to win one
cantona did great as france beach football manager
but i think keane can be more successful due to a more experience in management

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
cantona is not the man to take on the biggest job in world football, i dont think he could deal with the pressure.
keano has to be the man to step into fergies boots. keano is proving himself at sunderland he has a desire to be the best at whatever he does hes single minded doesnt suffer fools gladly he commands respect and he hasnt taken a total break from the game like eric, i think eric is more of a fantasy manager.
regarding keano`s dodgy signings may i bring your attention to kleberson oh and the sublime danny wallace and the sale of paul mcgrath. nuff said

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Tbh, I wouldn't want Cantona.

No doubt he lives football, but I think he would try to get his teams playing total football (like Arsenal) and we would end up struggling defensively and/or we wouldn't have an end product.

Not forgetting he has no experience, which would tell us a lot of things.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
i'd give him a chance for sure, but he would have to prove himself in some capacity, for example Laurent Blanc is a great example learning his trade in france with Bordeaux ... i believe he will benefit from that experience greatly as would Eric, or of course he could join United as an assistant, one way or another i believe he has to prove himself, but i wouldnt rule Ole out of the united job one day either, he says he wants to get to the top on management and with him taking the reserves job you only to look and Pep Guardiola to see how you can be promoted in a short pace of time ... whatever happens there are many possibilities when the inevitable happens

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Cantona: 'I'll be the best manager in the world'
'Obviously I would be the ideal person to manage France'

Could Eric Cantona be a future Manchester United boss?

Time to track the trawler again, because Eric Cantona has tossed a rather fat fish to the seagulls: a declaration that he intends to become the manager of either Manchester United or England.

Since hanging up his boots in 1997, Cantona has played many roles including a slightly wooden actor, a decent photographer and, at present, the manager of France's beach soccer team. Today, however, he told Le Parisien that soon, perhaps after next month's beach soccer World Cup, he will pursue yet another vocation.

"I will return to 11-a-side football just to become the best manager in the world - and that's exactly what I'll become," trumpeted the man whom Manchester United fans still call King. "I will do the job as a creator and an artist. I want to give football something new."

Asked where he foresaw this dream unfolding, Cantona ruled out his native France, saying, "Ligue 1 is miserable. It should be banned! We don't have the best players in the world but most of all the managers are a pain in the ass … they shouldn't be allowed to advocate such a cautious way of playing."

Cantona does not aspire to lead his country, even though he claimed he would do a much better job than either the current incumbent, Raymond Domenech, or the rumoured heir, Didier Deschamps. "Obviously I would be the ideal person to manage France," he quipped. "I would be able to put in place a more attractive style. Deschamps would be just a continuation of Domenech. But I don't want the job and I certainly won't be offered it."

Cantona said his preferred place of employment would be Old Trafford or Soho Square. "English football flows through my veins and I would love to offer my vision to the English because it is a very beautiful vision."

P.S Picture in post is not the picture in the original article ;)

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
He certainly has the confidence to carry it off even without any experience.
I could just see him sticking his chest and saying this is for me , i am home

·
Registered
523 Posts
Cantona Set For United Return?

Former Manchester United Eric Cantona may be on his way back to Old Trafford to take up a coaching position, reports the Sunday Express.

Cantona spent five years at the club inspiring United to four Premier League titles and two FA Cups before retiring from football in 1997.

Since then, however, it has appeared that the Frenchman’s future lies away from football as he has dabbled in acting and directing but he many now be thinking about a return to Manchester.

According to the paper, a friend of Cantona’s has admitted that a coaching job at United could prove a tempting offer for the Frenchman. He said: “Eric does fancy the idea of helping out with the coaching at a club like Manchester United.”

Should these comments prove accurate it could prove impeccable timing. Manchester United assistant manager Carlos Quieroz is thought to be close to leaving the club to take over as the Portuguese national coach and Ferguson himself has admitted that retirement may be only a few years away.

According to the Sunday Express, manager Ferguson would welcome a return by Cantona. Their source says: “He has been enjoying himself appearing in and directing films and being involved in beach soccer but has always wanted to help produce a team in his style and knows that Sir Alex Ferguson would encourage him.”

A Cantona return would certainly be widely welcomed by the fans at Old Trafford. Cantona is largely viewed as the man who turned the club’s fortunes around after signing on a free transfer from Leeds and despite having left the club over a decade ago, he remains one of the club’s most talismanic figures.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=765106

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Sunday Express

UNITED SET FOR ERIC'S COMEBACK

Sunday July 6,2008
By John Richardson

ERIC CANTONA is believed to be seriously considering Manchester United's long-standing offer to return to Old Trafford as a coach.

And with manager Sir Alex Ferguson in danger of losing his influential No2, Carlos Queiroz – wanted by Portugal to succeed Luiz Felipe Scolari – the Frenchman's emotional return would be perfect timing.

Ever since Cantona shocked the football world by announcing his sudden retirement 11 years ago, Ferguson has kept in touch with the maverick forward.

He has constantly tried to cajole him into returning to Old Trafford.

Now a close friend of Cantona has revealed to Sunday Express Sport: “Eric does fancy the idea of helping out with the coaching at a club like Manchester United.

“He has been enjoying himself appearing in and directing films and being involved in beach soccer but has always wanted to help produce a team in his style and knows that Sir Alex Ferguson would encourage him.â€

Cantona vowed he would never return while the Glazers remained in control of Manchester United but now he has mellowed over that stance.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
When I first heard this story , i was like 'yea whatever' :rolleyes:
but the more I think about it, the more it excites me.
Carlos might be off to Portugal, which will leave a job for ....Cantona maybe?

This could be awesome if it were to happen and it seems to be a possibility
as well. Cantona is one of my hero's and Id welcome him back in an
instant.
What do you lot think about all this? Ther seem to be a lot of stories doing
the rounds....

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think people are getting a bit carried away with the Cantona thing, its over 11 years since he walked out the doors of the club, there is no getting away from the fact that he was arguably the most inspirational figure at the club in the past 30 years but he is in no position to be discussing the manager's position.

Look at Ole Solskjaer and Brian McClair, guys who have put the head down and gone about their business working their way up and getting their badges. Likewise Mark Hughes and Roy Keane. I am not saying any of them should get the job, it would just seem more likely.

Cantona is a dreamer, a journalist's dream as he never thinks before he speaks, he is a genuinely interesting and eloquent man, he no doubt has a great footballing brain but to say that because of these qualities and his history at the club that he should be considered is laughable.

I would say if he is interested to go and show it by getting properly into management and stop talking about it. Its easy for anyone to say that they would do it better than the other guy (ok the other guy is Domenech so he is probably right) so why not take a lower division team on (like Di Matteo) and show the 'vision' works

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
He's got the playing experience which is required, he has the mindset which is definitely required, but most importantly, he has the desire to impress and the desire to win... the same qualities Sir Alex has. When it's all said and done, I think he would make a great boss for us

·
Registered
29 Posts
i think keane should be the next manager, the clubs in his blood and he would be a great replacement for fergie, his passion and desire to win is what we need and the attractive football we are used to seeing would deffinatly be carried on if keano took over, cantona i feel should be left rememberd as a great player and not a manager, maybe a coach. he lacks the experiance needed

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Give him 1 season see what happens. We wouldn't finish worse than 3rd, even Grant managed well at Chelsea.

I'd much rather see a legend manage us than an unknown forgeign bloke.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts