Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
David Beckham has been named in the England squad for next week's friendly against Spain.

Beckham will get the chance to win a record-equalling 108th cap for England - while Carlton Cole and James Milner could be awarded with their first after also receiving call-ups from manager Fabio Capello.

Beckham needs one more appearance for the Three Lions to match Bobby Moore's best mark for an outfield player and coach Capello has decided the 33-year-old's form on loan at AC Milan warrants an instant recall after he was omitted for the win over Germany in Berlin last November.

"Beckham is a very important player," said Capello. "The form of David is okay now, I've watched him in one game in Milan and (Italo) Galbiati and Franco Baldini saw his other games.

"He is fit now. Every player in the squad has to play, not just train. This is important for David and for us. He is better than he was six months ago."

Difference
Capello predictably sees a distinct difference in the standard of Serie A and Major League Soccer in America.

"Sure. The game is different," he said. "More pressure. It is stronger. That is the difference.

"I think he wants to stay for those reasons - it's exciting, Milan are a good team. But he has to choose."

The inclusion of Cole and Milner comes on the back of excellent performances at club level for West Ham United and Aston Villa, respectively.

England take on Spain in a friendly international in Seville on Wednesday 11th February.

Squad in full:
Goalkeepers: Green (West Ham), Hart (Man City), James (Portsmouth).

Defenders: Bridge (Man City), A Cole (Chelsea), R Ferdinand (Man Utd), Jagielka (Everton), G Johnson (Portsmouth), Terry (Chelsea), Upson (West Ham), L Young (Villa).

Midfielders: Beckham (LA Galaxy), Barry (Villa), Carrick (Man Utd), Downing (Middlesbrough), Lampard (Chelsea), Milner (Villa), Wright-Phillips (Man City), A Young (Villa).

Forwards: Agbonlahor (Villa), C Cole (West Ham), Crouch (Portsmouth), Heskey (Villa).
Source: Sky Sports.com

My startin X1 would be:

GK: James
DF: Johnson, Ferdinand & ????, Bridge
MF: Beckham, Carrick, Lampard, Young
ATK: Agbonlahor & Heskey

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Jagielka has been superb this year so should get a tryout .

Capello will be under massive pressure to minimise minutes of top four players

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Surprised that there's no Neville or Brown. A choice between Glen Johnson and Luke Young isn't exactly the best.

Why the hell are both Heskey and Crouch selected? One un-prolific, long-ball striker is enough!

Based on current form, Jagielka should start ahead of Terry, but because of Ferdinand only just returning from injury, I'd go with this team:

James

Johnson, Terry, Jagielka, Cole

Beckham, Carrick, Barry, Lampard, Young

Heskey

Heskey will be left isolated admittedly, so I was considering Agbonlahor instead of Beckham, then reverting to a 4-3-3 formation. However, Beckham should start after his form for Milan. If we go 4-4-2, and Barry is preferred to Carrick, something's wrong with the world!

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
haggler said:
Jagielka has been superb this year so should get a tryout .

Capello will be under massive pressure to minimise minutes of top four players
Agreed. jag has been immense. Fair play to Beckham, he deserved the call up,
and he gest back in AGAIN, which is a great testament to the man.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
To be fair to Beckham he has earned it. I thought it was wrong having him in the squad while he player his trade in MLS. But he's been playing well, credit where it's due.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
The simple fact is that Beckham still offers more than SWP, Lennon or Bentley so deserves to start.

We're looking very weak with our striking options.

I'd start with...

James
Johnson Rio Terry Cole
Beckham Carrick Lampard Young
Agbonlahor Heskey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts