Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Brilliant Gerrard

He's just brilliant. He can shoot. He can pass, he can tackle. He's an unbelievable player. He can do just about everything, a complete player if you will, except for one thing. Hold on to his position!

There has been alot of debate over the last number of years on where he lies on players ranking ladder. Is he one of the best midfielders in the world ? Is he the best midfielder in the word ? Some think so. I disagree. The one thing a brilliant central midfielder should have in his game is the ability to control games and dictates tempo. Gerrard falls short on that category.

World class central midfielders had always have that. The most recent ones being Scholes, Xavi and Ballack. Fabregas is developing very nicely into a world class central midfielder as well. They all boss games with their choice of passing and the accuracy and timing of it.

Now, I called Gerrard brilliant and yet I don't have him amongst the worlds leading central medfielders. I even rank Xabi Alonso ahead of him. Then where does he lie ? Well, you cant really call Ronaldo a world class winger when he never got three assists from the wing in one season. But he's still a world class ... player! Gerrard has everything that you want in a football player. He's not anywhere near the best central midfielders in the world, but he is a better footballer than most of them.

He's a top class football going through a great patch of form. I wouldn't call him a world class football, but he's not that far from that elite. To each his own definition of the term 'world class' though, and I'm not expecting everyone to agree with me. But I think everyone can agree that at times the man is just a joy to watch.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
I think your being a bit premature. He has played crap for 2 years, and after one game he is brilliant?? Take a reality check.

He played well, yes, but come on, thats the first time in years!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First time for England in the past two years ? Probably. But he's played about 8 games for England during that time, and about 80 for Liverpool. So it was premature of your part to assume that Im basing that on tonights game. I've actually typed this up three weeks ago based on what he's done in his career so far and the past 14 months or so in praticular.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Keano's fan said:
He's just brilliant. He can shoot. He can pass, he can tackle. He's an unbelievable player. He can do just about everything, a complete player if you will, except for one thing. Hold on to his position!

There has been alot of debate over the last number of years on where he lies on players ranking ladder. Is he one of the best midfielders in the world ? Is he the best midfielder in the word ? Some think so. I disagree. The one thing a brilliant central midfielder should have in his game is the ability to control games and dictates tempo. Gerrard falls short on that category.

World class central midfielders had always have that. The most recent ones being Scholes, Xavi and Ballack. Fabregas is developing very nicely into a world class central midfielder as well. They all boss games with their choice of passing and the accuracy and timing of it.

Now, I called Gerrard brilliant and yet I don't have him amongst the worlds leading central medfielders. I even rank Xabi Alonso ahead of him. Then where does he lie ? Well, you cant really call Ronaldo a world class winger when he never got three assists from the wing in one season. But he's still a world class ... player! Gerrard has everything that you want in a football player. He's not anywhere near the best central midfielders in the world, but he is a better footballer than most of them.

He's a top class football going through a great patch of form. I wouldn't call him a world class football, but he's not that far from that elite. To each his own definition of the term 'world class' though, and I'm not expecting everyone to agree with me. But I think everyone can agree that at times the man is just a joy to watch.

God go back to the liverpool forums mate :rolleyes:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol I hope youre not serious ? So if I called Gerrard a brilliant player and Torres the best striker in the world at the moment then I must be a liverpool fan ?

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Not at all.

But a speach about how good he is... Well as a united fan i wouldn't be singing any liverpools praises like that. Saying they are world class is enough for me.
Did i say you said he was world class? I said that.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But I didnt even call him world class, that was the point from the thread.

Its general football banter, I can say whatever I want about anyone and you have every right to disagree with me on anything. Im not gonna keep quiet about him just cause he's a liverpool player, Im a football fan and I like to comment on football issue including those concerning our rivals.

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
Keano's fan said:
. He can do just about everything, a complete player if you will,

The one thing a brilliant central midfielder should have in his game is the ability to control games and dictates tempo. Gerrard falls short on that category.

Now, I called Gerrard brilliant and yet I don't have him amongst the worlds leading central medfielders.

Gerrard has everything that you want in a football player. He's not anywhere near the best central midfielders in the world, but he is a better footballer than most of them.
your post is full of contradictions.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think when you read the thing as a whole, it would make sense. Instead of net picking out lines and not even complete sentences.

I didnt say he can do everything, I say just about everything. He doesnt dictate the tempo in games, you dont get the sense that he runs the play. Thats one of the things he doesnt have. I call him brilliant and yet I dont think of him as one of the best central midfielders in the world. Just like I called Cantona and Zola before him brilliant and yet they werent at any time the best strikers in the world. And you can be a brilliant footballer without being a world class player at a certain position, and vice versa. Roy Keane, footballing wise, wasnt one of the best around but as a central midfielder he had the total package for the position and he was arguebly the best.

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
contradiction -He's not anywhere near the best central midfielders in the world, but he is a better footballer than most of them.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Haha :D I like Gerrard but I think you misjudged the nature of most of the people on this forum.

With the exception of myself & maybe a few other I can safely say that the vast majority of this forums members

wouldn't hesitate to set Gerrard's house on fire if they got the chance. Trust me there is a lot of bad blood there.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
@ Keano's fan

Well its obvious that most of us don't like Gerrard. Maybe thats coz he likes to say things like "i want Man Utd to die" and he is a hypocrite and worse of all, he plays for Liverpool.

But if you turn a blind eye over those sort of things, yeah...... he's good.

You said Gerrard isn't as good as Xavi or Xabi alonso or Fabregas. I think you're comparing him with the wrong sort of players. The players you've mentioned are all playmakers. They do not have good physical qualities. Instead they use their excellent technique, passing ability and vision to dictate the game.

I consider Gerrard to be more of a box to box midfielder. These players have excellent physical attributes. You can see them tacking and defending in their own box and then scoring a goal on the opposite side. They drive their team on with their unlimited supply of stamina and as you said can do almost everything ala Michael Essien.

So if you're considering box to box midfielders, he's the best. I would go as far as to say that a box to box goal scoring midfielder like him is the one critical component that our midfield has been missing for years.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
forgetting the guy's blind opinions on all things united the guy is a class act, but would say in terms of liverpool yes, in terms of england someone really needs to get the whole midfield and lampard/gerrard thing sorted once and for all, even having said that though for england the guys world class performances have been limited to a handful of games and the not playing him in the right position or with the right players doesn't wash with me.

pele said of the 1970 world cup team and teams after that that if a player is truly world class he will be able to play ANYWHERE and with ANYONE, something gerrard hasn't lived up to

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thekeanefella said:
contradiction -He's not anywhere near the best central midfielders in the world, but he is a better footballer than most of them.
Gary Neville has been one of the best full backs around for the past ten years. He's not as talented as some of the full backs that are/were around but he made for it by hard training and prfectioning the role he's given in the team.

There are plenty of brazilians playing their trades in streets and beaches that are as good of footballers as Ronaldo is but they'd be clueless if they were used in a proper match situation. likewise, Gerrard has more talent and skill than most of the central midfielders around but he lacks a couple of aspects to a footballer games that are vital to his 'position' therefore he isnt one of the best central midfielders around even though he has more to his game than all but a few.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
red devil jeff said:
@ Keano's fan

Well its obvious that most of us don't like Gerrard. Maybe thats coz he likes to say things like "i want Man Utd to die" and he is a hypocrite and worse of all, he plays for Liverpool.

But if you turn a blind eye over those sort of things, yeah...... he's good.

You said Gerrard isn't as good as Xavi or Xabi alonso or Fabregas. I think you're comparing him with the wrong sort of players. The players you've mentioned are all playmakers. They do not have good physical qualities. Instead they use their excellent technique, passing ability and vision to dictate the game.

I consider Gerrard to be more of a box to box midfielder. These players have excellent physical attributes. You can see them tacking and defending in their own box and then scoring a goal on the opposite side. They drive their team on with their unlimited supply of stamina and as you said can do almost everything ala Michael Essien.

So if you're considering box to box midfielders, he's the best. I would go as far as to say that a box to box goal scoring midfielder like him is the one critical component that our midfield has been missing for years.
I appreciate your input mate. I can see where youre coming from, but youre looking too much into it I feel. 'modern day' tactics, the 4-1-3-2's .. 4-2-3-1 .. and so on, created positions that IMO shouldnt exist. The holding midfielder, the playmaker .. these are things any central midfielder should have. In a classic 4-4-2, both central midfielders have huge responsibilities at both ends. Being 'box to box' is a necessity, not a bonus. Keane, Vieira .. going back to Robson .. those are world class midfielders that used to do it all. They were box to box, they'd boss any game and they'd pitch in with a few goals.

Thats why I mentioned that the subject really depends on a persons prespective about football in general. You believe there are types of central midfielders and going by your definition, I belive youre right. IMO he'd be second only to Essien who has the potential to be THE best midfielder around. But in my view they should be all compared on one position, central midfielder. I wouldnt go further and class them as holding midfielder, playmakers, box to box midfielders, etc.

Cheers for your view.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
scottsati said:
forgetting the guy's blind opinions on all things united the guy is a class act, but would say in terms of liverpool yes, in terms of england someone really needs to get the whole midfield and lampard/gerrard thing sorted once and for all, even having said that though for england the guys world class performances have been limited to a handful of games and the not playing him in the right position or with the right players doesn't wash with me.

pele said of the 1970 world cup team and teams after that that if a player is truly world class he will be able to play ANYWHERE and with ANYONE, something gerrard hasn't lived up to
You see, with Liverpool and for the past two to three years, he's been played in a free role. Whereas with England he's played in the centre and is expected to boss games. You see the difference between the two Gerrards ? One praised for being the best in the world with 20 goals and as many assists last season, and the other is criticised for being overrated and not showing up for England. Thats why I dont rate him amongst the best central midfielders in the world, but when given a free role to just do what he likes ala Ronaldo, he's just brilliant.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I think Gerrard is World class.

He's a box to box player who one moment can be making a goal saving tackle at one end and then bursting forward and unleashing a 30 yard screamer into the corner of the net at the other.

He is a quality tackler, passer and striker of the football. His energy levels are right up there and he leads by example on the pitch.

Apart from Torres, he's the only Liverpool player I would have in United's starting XI. As for England, I think he is one of only a handful of World class players we have - the others being Rio and Rooney.

It's just a shame he's a Scouser.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
NoxiousD said:
Far overrated, goes missing during games, which is a big NONO for centre mids
And for a captain.

red devil jeff said:
So if you're considering box to box midfielders, he's the best.
I have to extremely disagree. And I'm not being biased here.

The best midfielder in the Premier League, and in the top 3/5 in the World I honestly think, is Michael Essien. Hes an incredible player imo, and I regret quite a lot that we didn't make more of an effort to get him.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
manutd004 said:
The best midfielder in the Premier League, and in the top 3/5 in the World I honestly think, is Michael Essien. Hes an incredible player imo, and I regret quite a lot that we didn't make more of an effort to get him.
Gerrard is more of a goal threat but I agree that Essien is World class, which is why I am pleased he's out for most of the season. He's a big miss for Chelsea.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts