Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Capello probed by judiciary
From correspondents in Rome, Italy
April 01, 2008 ENLGAND coach Fabio Capello is being probed by an Italian state prosecutor for allegedly withholding information to a court, a judicial source said.

The prosecutor intends to bring a case against Capello and former Juventus director Antonio Giraudo after they gave evidence in a trial of six men accused of fostering unfair competition through the use of threats or violence as part of Italy's Gea World sports agency, the source said.

Under Italian law, a person found guilty of withholding information in court can be jailed for up to six years.

As a witness, Capello had earlier told the court in Rome he never dealt with player contracts while in Italy and never heard of players being put under pressure to sign specific agreements.

"I never spoke with Luciano Moggi and I was never concerned with how unnecessary players or staff arrived at the club," Capello said.

"I indicated which purchases and signings I wanted to make and then I left it in the hands of the sports director to pursue."

Former Juventus general manager Moggi, also at the centre of Italy's 2006 match-fixing affair, and Davide Lippi, son of former Italy coach Marcello, are also among the defendants.

Capello worked under Moggi at Juventus from 2004-2006 as well as during his time in charge of AS Roma between 1999 and 2004 also interested the court.

The 61-year-old, appointed as England coach in December, is also being investigated for alleged tax fraud by prosecutors in Turin.

He has said his finances are in order and was not aware of any matters which would be of concern.

In court, Capello denied having had relations with the directors of the Gea agency and denied having been put under pressure over the management of players during his time at Juve and Roma.

Prosecutor Luca Palamara asked the court for and obtained the transcripts of Capello and Giraudo's statements, accusing both of withholding information, the source said.

It was not clear which part of Capello's testimony the prosecutor was unhappy with.

Capello was coach of Juventus when they were demoted to Serie B and stripped of their 2005 and 2006 Italian championships because of a match-fixing scandal linked to procuring favourable referees. He subsequently left for a second spell in charge of Real Madrid.

Moggi was banned from football for five years for his part in the scandal.

Moggi's son Alessandro, also on trial, is head of Gea World.

Capello was appointed as England's second foreign coach after they failed to qualify for Euro 2008 in November when Steve McClaren was sacked.

Capello, Capello -one to many times you've been mentioned to be branded as innocent ...firts tax, no this - where there's smoke.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
lol at the title 'more dark clouds over England'
Admit it Croo you just love getting one over on the English.
You Croats will always go on about it. hee hee, just like us Irish :p
and they say he could spend 4 years in jail. How will he coach the
English then :D
 

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jazz 16 said:
lol at the title 'more dark clouds over England'
Admit it Croo you just love getting one over on the English.
You Croats will always go on about it. hee hee, just like us Irish :p
and they say he could spend 4 years in jail. How will he coach the
English then :D
spot on - i already feel like an irish ! lol
 

·
Smeghead Moderator
Joined
·
13,664 Posts
Better than getting probed by aliens :eek:

Let's face it - he could go a better job from prison than McClaren could from the touchline. I'm not concerned at this stage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,544 Posts
Comeback For Paul Scholes High On Fabio Capello's Agenda

Source: Times Online



Fabio Capello, the England manager, plans to name an extended squad of 30 for the spring internationals against the United States and Trinidad & Tobago and is considering one final attempt to coax Paul Scholes out of international retirement.

Still casting around for a way to bring the best out of Wayne Rooney and increasingly worried by the inability of his team to keep possession, Capello is set to appeal to the 33-year-old Manchester United midfield player, who announced in August 2004 that he had finished with international football.

Steve McClaren, the former England head coach, made four unsuccessful attempts to persuade Scholes to change his mind and it is similarly unlikely that Capello will succeed, but he hopes that Scholes could be tempted by one last crack at a leading international tournament, with the prospect of playing an important role in England's 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign. Scholes will be halfway to his 36th birthday when the finals begin, but Capello is more concerned with what his intelligent passing could bring to England's midfield now, particularly his experience in bringing the best out of Rooney at United.

Capello intends to use the international matches in May and June to determine the key personnel who will form the backbone of his team next season and wants to make his approach to Scholes soon. The United playmaker has been an important figure for his club this season, not least during the 2-0 victory away to AS Roma in the Champions League.

Scholes won 66 caps for England, the last in the European Championship quarter-final defeat by Portugal in 2004, but he became increasingly frustrated with Sven-Göran Eriksson's decision to play him on the wide left of midfield rather than in his preferred central role. There would be no such problem with Capello, who has earmarked where he wishes Scholes to play, if he is open to a return.

There will be several player switches during the spring internationals as Capello searches for the right pairings and others who could feature include Dean Ashton, the West Ham United striker. Capello may also give Stewart Downing, the Middlesbrough winger, a chance to impress.

Capello regards the ten days he will spend with the players over this period as significant in assessing how open they are to his ideas and training methods. He has been frustrated by the lack of access to the squad, spending only three days together before the friendly matches against Switzerland and France, and was hampered further last month by the scheduling of big matches involving Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool on the Sunday before the game against France.
 

·
Proto-Hipster
Joined
·
46,959 Posts
Scholes is wanted by every england maneger
but scholes says that he prefer to spend some time with his family instead of playing for england
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
Scholes wont go back at this stage. Its pointless even asking him.
He wants to prolong his career at United and with the likes of
Hargo, Carrick and Anderson breathing down his neck for a place,
going on internationals is the last thing he would want to do.
Obviously Capello wants him, who wouldnt? but Its never going to happen.


Actually, while we are on this subject, Ive a question for the English members.
I know most of you prefer United way more than your National Team,
but as Englishmen would you not like to see Scholesy back playing for your
country? and why?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,238 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Scholes wont go back at this stage. Its pointless even asking him.
He wants to prolong his career at United and with the likes of
Hargo, Carrick and Anderson breathing down his neck for a place,
going on internationals is the last thing he would want to do.
Obviously Capello wants him, who wouldnt? but Its never going to happen.


Actually, while we are on this subject, Ive a question for the English members.
I know most of you prefer United way more than your National Team,
but as Englishmen would you not like to see Scholesy back playing for your
country? and why?

jazz this is one of them joke threads that annoy us real united fans
 

·
Stretford Ender
Joined
·
2,270 Posts
hate to say this but at moment on perfomances, scholes has not done anything to merit getting into the england squad.

i think we could even be looking at his final season at United and expect a retirement.

he lacks that bite his game used to have. even the usual daft tackle is missing as is couple of yards of the pace. Its his passing range that helps him with that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
antdevil78 said:
hate to say this but at moment on perfomances, scholes has not done anything to merit getting into the england squad.

i think we could even be looking at his final season at United and expect a retirement.

he lacks that bite his game used to have. even the usual daft tackle is missing as is couple of yards of the pace. Its his passing range that helps him with that.
Id have to disagree somewhat. Ok he has been very poor in a few games,
but in other games he has ran the show.
He was rusty in his first 3/4 games when he came back, but then got some form,
not typically Scholesy form but maybe 1 game in 2 he is very good.
I know we need and expect more, but he still has a lot to offer both this season
and beyond.
 
Z

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Actually, while we are on this subject, Ive a question for the English members.
I know most of you prefer United way more than your National Team,
but as Englishmen would you not like to see Scholesy back playing for your
country? and why?
I've always been a 'club before country' man because I like to watch a
team with deire and passion actually trying to win a game.

When I watch England i get frustrated by a team of world class players
who play like numpties when in the same team. I don't think we can blame
the manager(s) any longer, it happens with all managers so it must be the
players. To avoid this frustration I have come up with a simple but effective solution: Don't watch England!

As for Scholes coming back, he's on his last legs at united so I'd rather he
saved the little energy he still has in his legs for playing for United rather
than fighting a lost cause playing for the national team.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
-zuco- said:
I've always been a 'club before country' man because I like to watch a
team with deire and passion actually trying to win a game.

When I watch England i get frustrated by a team of world class players
who play like numpties when in the same team. I don't think we can blame
the manager(s) any longer, it happens with all managers so it must be the
players. To avoid this frustration I have come up with a simple but effective solution: Don't watch England!

As for Scholes coming back, he's on his last legs at united so I'd rather he
saved the little energy he still has in his legs for playing for United rather
than fighting a lost cause playing for the national team.

Fair enough and cheers for the response. I can understand better now,
but being Irish maybe its different for me? well it is different for me.
Knowing the Irish lads on this forum and my mates, I know we have huge
passion for our national team and always will.

Maybe it has something to do with supporting a team in a different country?
You guys cant stand the Chelsea, Pool English boys, and I guess other
fans wont like the United contingent etc......Its booing and despising them
one week then watching Gerrard and Lampard for eg score goals for your country.
It must be a strange feeling cheering when a despised one scores?

It seems as though more people from outside England support the English
National team more than the English themselves...
:confused: did that make sense?
 
Z

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
More and more England fans are becoming disillusioned with the lack of
commitment from the players. The only ones who seem to put in much
of an effort are Rooney, Joe Cole and Gerrard (sometimes).

I don't mind cheering for a rival team's player if he scored fro England but
I'm sure a lot of other fans do.

I think a lot of people from abroad support England because they love the
Premiership so much, it's just a shame the players can't replicate their
performances for their clubs when they pull on an England shirt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,029 Posts
He past his prime in International football.It will be pointless to get him out of retirement at this stage when United needs all of players fit and ready for battle
 
1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Top