Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the thread title as suggested, i would like to hear everyone's views on who would you like to be club captain for the next season.

Garry Neville is the current captain, but he hasnt play much this season even though he has been fully fit. In fact, he has looked past his best, and also unable to perform whenever he has played this season.

Giggs, the current vice-captain, is inspirational to the young lads, but however, he's not going to be featuring at every single game.

Rio Ferdinand, has captained the side most of the time in the absence of Giggs and Neville. He has done a good job being captain, and you could see how the side misses him at times when he's not playing. He's capable of playing almost every games in a season still, so for me, he would be the most appropriate choice of captain for next season.

maybe a mod might want to add a poll in for this anyway. hope to see all everyone views. cheers :)

·
23,699 Posts
I guess it would be Giggs. For his recent performances, he is good for at least next season while I would expect Gary to retire because he does not seem to have anything much to offer any more.

Rio should be the vice captain and of course the next captain in waiting.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
If I had my choice, it would be Rio. BTW, Gary Neville hasn't had his contract renewed yet has he?
All 3 have, until July 2010.

Rio is a good choice. But considering his age, I'd like to see someone else being handed the captaincy. Wayne Rooney perhaps?
Rooney isn't ready yet. Rio still has say 4 years as number 1 centre half, by then Wayne Rooney will be about 27, which will be in his prime. He should get it then.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Rooney isn't ready yet. Rio still has say 4 years as number 1 centre half, by then Wayne Rooney will be about 27, which will be in his prime. He should get it then.
Rio is 31. I doubt he'll play till 35. He'll be the first choice CB for about 2 seasons more before the likes of Johnny Evans replace him. So after two years, the captain will be pushed to the bench by the competition and we'll need to hand the captaincy to someone who is a regular starter, similar to our current situation.
Hence, I prefer someone who can captain the club for a long continuous period of time.

Rooney will be 24 next season and he should be mature enough. He is already a leader on the pitch and is inspirational to his team mates.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
Rio is 31. I doubt he'll play till 35. He'll be the first choice CB for about 2 seasons more before the likes of Johnny Evans replace him. So after two years, the captain will be pushed to the bench by the competition and we'll need to hand the captaincy to someone who is a regular starter, similar to our current situation.
Hence, I prefer someone who can captain the club for a long continuous period of time.

Rooney will be 24 next season and he should be mature enough. He is already a leader on the pitch and is inspirational to his team mates.
He leave his emotions take over sometimes, especially when we are losing and isn't an example for the rest of the players, especially for the young ones like Anderson, Nani and Rafael.

Rio is perfect, perfect age - perfect attitude and from his position he can have a great view of how the match is going on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.