• David Beckham

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Gary Neville's injury problems ...

... and Ryan Giggs' legs not being what they were ...

Right now our 2 main guys contending for the job as United captain are - to be
honest - not too reliable and often absent when they are needed.

So consequently Rio has been asked to wear the captain's armband on many
occassions.

To be honest it seems to be a role he looks very comfortable in too. He seems to
be a 'natural' leader. I also think he actually enjoys it too - which is half the
battle !

I'm not his biggest fan in the world for whatever reasons - but as captain he does
do a good job, there's no doubting this.

So for me he has every right to be the England captain too, on a permanent basis.

Who are the contenders for this job ... ?

Maybe John Terry ... ?

He has had his turn ...

Where are England now ... ?

Nowhere ... they will have a quiet summer !

Add to this his injury - and the fact that under his captaincy Chelsea have been
charged 5 times in seventeen months for 'on the pitch incidents' - John Terry for
me has had his time !

Steven Gerrard maybe ... ?

For me Gerrard has too many non-England problems on his mind. Liverpool are
shocking right now - not even worthy of Top 4 in my opinion. So he has the
weight of the world on his shoulders dealing with all that.

Gerrard played against Croatia at Wembley and to say he played a dismal game
is an understatement ...

Then 3 days later for Liverpool - he turned in a breathtaking performance which
even had me admiring him. Maybe Gerrard would like to captain England - who
wouldn't ... ?

But in all honesty his heart is with Liverpool - and not England.

Rio has all the credentials necessary to do the job ...

He has even said publicy he would like to do it ...

"I would love to be given the opportunity to be England captain one day. But
that is not the be all and end all. I just love playing for England, if you are named
captain then that is a bonus and it's a great achievement in your life and your
career.â€

Since taking the England job, Capello has been to EVERY United game. Why
would he do that ? Maybe to take a long hard look at his next captain ... ?

Even Sir Alex has put his neck on the line - and recommended Rio for the job !

Being Captain of United brings a lot more pressure than captaining England in my
opinion.

There is this very odd "we're bound to lose" attitude with England fans - They
expect to lose - then they lose - then they get angry because they lose.

Seems to be a national pastime for the England set up. No offence but they
always seem to under achieve.

But at United the expectations are so high - the standards set by the Busby
Babes and so many other United teams since then means that second place is
just not good enough !!

With all that weighing on his mind - still Rio makes a good job of things.

Yes I say Rio for England ...

What do you think ... ?

(Poll added too ... ;))

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
I think Rio has matured and excelled in his performances in recent years.
He was often criticised for his relaxed style of play and odd mistake but
now he is one of the best and most assured centre backs in the game.
He can also voice his opinion and give people a bollocking (a la keane) when its needed. Other players respect him and imo he should be the next England captain. On top of that he will always be one of the first names on the team sheet and that continuity is very important.

I feel I have given a good case of why he should be captain but Im a United fan and would love to see him captain his country as that responsibility will surely raise his game even further for both club and country.
Also the thought of Gerrard and Terry makes me ill, so Im all for Rio on this one.

Nice post carly.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
for me,ithink rio should get the nod.Gerrard's heart is mind-set about liverpool,john terry is out of action,beckham is fighting with his alter ego.but Rio is just the best option there is for capello

·
Registered
20 Posts
rio is a beast.... people fear him but at the same time he's a great leader... no doubt he should be the captain... and he throws awesome parties

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I'd love to see Rio or Roon with it. I think Rio would edge it out because of Roon's temper sometimes. Either way, a United for cap'n :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
At the minute rio ferdinand is magestic at the back he is playing better than ever he is playing better than gerrard at the minute and terry injured ferdinand should be the next England captain:)

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
29 votes but only 10 say why ... :confused:

Very strange ...

Oddly enough of the 9 who vote for Gerrard and Terry ...

Not one says why either ... :eek: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
854 Posts
I tink Gerrard should get it. I always feel a centre midfielder is the best choice like Keane or Vieira. I t didn't work with Terry and I feel Gerrard needs to improve for England and becoming a regular captain just might to that.

·
Registered
143 Posts
scott 4 evra said:
I tink Gerrard should get it. I always feel a centre midfielder is the best choice like Keane or Vieira. I t didn't work with Terry and I feel Gerrard needs to improve for England and becoming a regular captain just might to that.

I dont fancy Gerrard getting the captaincy. Its not coz he plays for Pool, but its just that I dont think he's the right captain for England. I much rather have Terry as captain. Although gerrard is skillful and has served as a good captain at liverpool, i still dont think hes the right man for england.

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
Dont know what to say. My heart wants to shout out rio rio rio but truth is he was at blame for Switzerlands goal and nearly another one. Maybe this is just the new manager plus the england national team effect but who knows. Only thing I know is that he does nearly all the press conferences and after match banter now so it looks likely.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Justice said:
Dont know what to say. My heart wants to shout out rio rio rio but truth is he was at blame for Switzerlands goal and nearly another one. Maybe this is just the new manager plus the england national team effect but who knows. Only thing I know is that he does nearly all the press conferences and after match banter now so it looks likely.

Well, the england game might have been one of those days where rio is having a bad day where nothing at all is going his way. The again, maybe he's not comfortable with the rest of his defensive line. Who knows? I cant comment since i only watch the highlights on the news

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
owenrooneyruud said:
..hes better than terry and hes been at united long enough...
I think the criteria for becoming England captain will be slightly higher than the 2 you highlight here ...

But yes it's a start ... ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts