Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else feel we should take this a little more seriously than we did previously - especially last season? We got down 0-2 (to coventry?), and had no one on the bench to resurrect the game.

We've got boro in the third round. Although it is a great chance to start some young players and get them experience, that only works if you survive a few rounds.

Although it probably ranks 5th this year, the CC is still a trophy, and I think we should make some attempt to win it.

Comments?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
we will have quite a strong team against boro

foster
rafael evans eckersley fabio
cleverley gibson possebon park
manucho welbeck

shld be a great experience for a number of our youngsters, and let park, foster and manucho get some match fitness(if manucho is available by then)

i still think that carling cup is a competition for our youngsters, for them to be involved in some real competitive matches.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I think a mix of senior player and the younger generation is the best. With a mix everyone can benefit from it. The senior guys gets a game and improve the match fitness and the younger guys get match experience and learn from the senior guys.
And with a better team they could get more games to play in the C-Cup tournament.

Z

·
0 Posts
To be fair to Fergie I think he always picks a team that he feels is strong enough to win the game. he puts his faith in the
youngsters to perform but sometimes they let him down. It's not his fault or theirs, some are making their debuts
and can understandably be a little bit nervous.

I doubt we'll ever see our first team XI playing in the competition unless it's our only hope of a trophy like in 2005.

For some of the youngsters it's their only chance for first team football and an opportunity to show the
manager what they're capable of and I hope it continues like that.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
well i guess in this match we will have berba playing to make his debut &
mid is a tough team to play im sure saf will use main player and later sub

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
i think this trophy we should let some other small clubs to win it... especially everton, spurs, arsenal, chelski, newcastle... let them have some taste of champ

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
it should have 0 importance on our list of things to do.. we should use it as we have done in the past as a tournament for our young players!
I rate the FA cup just as insignificantly nowadays also, and wouldn't risk an injury in it when we are going all out for the two most important trophies!

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
the carling cup is great to win to get the show moving like with utd in 06 ,but once teams are in the champions league they don't take it serious unless they manage to scrape through to the semi final stage.
chelsea will always be favourites because of the size and quality of their sqaud , but it will be very interesting to see if if our neighbours the arabs have a real go for the silverware this season to get the show moving. {ps i am guessing that their still involved in the cup}.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
the carling cup is great to win to get the show moving like with utd in 06 ,but once teams are in the champions league they don't take it serious unless they manage to scrape through to the semi final stage.
chelsea will always be favourites because of the size and quality of their sqaud , but it will be very interesting to see if if our neighbours the arabs have a real go for the silverware this season to get the show moving. {ps i am guessing that their still involved in the cup}.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Zense_United said:
i think this trophy we should let some other small clubs to win it... especially everton, spurs, arsenal, chelski, newcastle... let them have some taste of champ
lol

If you're talking about smaller clubs, don't forget about liverpool :D

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I'm always disappointed when we lose a game whatever competition it is in.

It's not like Fergie puts out teams he think will lose in the Carling Cup. Against Coventry last season we started with Anderson, Nani and O'Shea. When we lost to Southend United Rooney and Ronaldo both started. I remember in previous years Solskjaer starting Carling Cup games.

It's just that this competition is the best way to try out young players who otherwise would not get a chance to show what they can do. Some people complain that youngsters aren't given a chance these days but then others complain about us not taking the competition seriously.

I prefer that the youngsters are given their chance.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
We should play the kids who have a chance of actually making it. In recent years we've played the likes of Eagles, Martin, Dong ect - when it was obvious to everyone that they weren't gonna make it.

If we play players like Rodrigo, Rafael, Fabio, Evans, Wellbeck ect - Players with the talent to actually make it to the top, then we will do a lot better than in previous years.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
TheManc said:
We should play the kids who have a chance of actually making it. In recent years we've played the likes of Eagles, Martin, Dong ect - when it was obvious to everyone that they weren't gonna make it.

If we play players like Rodrigo, Rafael, Fabio, Evans, Wellbeck ect - Players with the talent to actually make it to the top, then we will do a lot better than in previous years.
well said i couldnt agree with you more, we have some great kids now so lets let them loose on the carling cup perhaps.
with 1 or 2 first team players just to have some steady heads on the pitch

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
I'd love to see us take it seriously....as said, a trophy's a trophy and another place to etch Manchester United for the history books to record. Oy=ur history in the competition speaks for itself TBH, 2 triumphs! :rolleyes:

Doubt it will change this season either though......last year was a disgrace though in all fairness now....

Team I'd like to see against Boro would be;

Foster
Neville
Rafael
Vidic
Fabio
Park
Possebon
Gibbson
Anderson
Manucho (Not sure if he can play with us yet though, think he can)
Welbeck

SDtrong team yet giving others a chance. I'd be very annoyed if Boro knocked us
out now...........

·
Registered
18 Posts
I definitely agree with the idea that we need a good mix of the old and the young ones who are looking like they'll be an asset to the 1st team later on. It is a great opportunity to get some newer players match experience but I really think we need a few of the veterans to play just in case, and have some strong subs as well if they're struggling. But SAF usually does a great job of putting a team together and again it's just up to the kids to preform up to standard.

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
it dont mean anything to united. cant seriously expect us to go for a mickey mouse trophy and risk our PL and CL challenges.

Its for the kids to play in and if we go out first round then that is fine by me.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
antdevil78 said:
it dont mean anything to united. cant seriously expect us to go for a mickey mouse trophy and risk our PL and CL challenges.

Its for the kids to play in and if we go out first round then that is fine by me.
I dont agree. It was great when we beat Wigan 4-0 in the final a few years back.
Any silverware is good, although some trophies are FAR more important then
others. This is a great chance for the kids to get a game and some experience of
big crowds and decent oposition. To say you are fine with us losing in the first
round is strange. I want us to win EVERY game no matter what competition it is,
even if its a friendly.
Losing to Coventry was a disappointment last year. A lot of the kids didnt get
many more chances and some of them are now sold or out on loan.
if we can go on a good cup run and get to the semis or final, then we will all get
to see these youngsters in action. I really hope they do well. Its better to watch
them in the cups than in the reserves on Mutv.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts