Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
I dont agree. It was great when we beat Wigan 4-0 in the final a few years back.
Any silverware is good, although some trophies are FAR more important then
others. This is a great chance for the kids to get a game and some experience of
big crowds and decent oposition. To say you are fine with us losing in the first
round is strange. I want us to win EVERY game no matter what competition it is,
even if its a friendly.
Losing to Coventry was a disappointment last year. A lot of the kids didnt get
many more chances and some of them are now sold or out on loan.
if we can go on a good cup run and get to the semis or final, then we will all get
to see these youngsters in action. I really hope they do well. Its better to watch
them in the cups than in the reserves on Mutv.
I agree totally. I also would love to win it again as we want to totally concour (sp?) English football and so far the standing read this:

Liverpool FC

League titles: 18

FA Cup's: 7

Carling Cups: 7

Community Shields: 15

Manchester United:

League titles: 17

FA Cup's: 11

Carling Cups: 2

Community Shields: 17

Arsenal FC:

League titles: 13

FA Cup's: 10

Community Shields: 12

Like or not, the Community Shield is a recognised trophy, and years ago Liverpool fans used to go on about ALL of those trophies, these days its just '18-5' as we've caught up with them, so we might aswell use it against them like they did to us.

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
I dont agree. It was great when we beat Wigan 4-0 in the final a few years back.
Any silverware is good, although some trophies are FAR more important then
others. This is a great chance for the kids to get a game and some experience of
big crowds and decent oposition. To say you are fine with us losing in the first
round is strange. I want us to win EVERY game no matter what competition it is,
even if its a friendly.
Losing to Coventry was a disappointment last year. A lot of the kids didnt get
many more chances and some of them are now sold or out on loan.
if we can go on a good cup run and get to the semis or final, then we will all get
to see these youngsters in action. I really hope they do well. Its better to watch
them in the cups than in the reserves on Mutv.
but if we had progressed last season and got to semis/final. would the distraction have an impact on the prem and cl wins. cant say either way but u may never know.

people want progress in small competitions but at expense of wot. chelsea got final and had to endure extra time and also league games getting rescheduled. it could have cost them the others

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
antdevil78 said:
but if we had progressed last season and got to semis/final. would the distraction have an impact on the prem and cl wins. cant say either way but u may never know.

people want progress in small competitions but at expense of wot. chelsea got final and had to endure extra time and also league games getting rescheduled. it could have cost them the others
Good point!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
antdevil78 said:

Arsene Wenger got slated a couple of seasons ago for playing his youngsters in the final but if our youngsters got us there I would play them for 2 reasons - they deserve the chance and also because then the senior players would be able to concentrate on the more important competitions.

In 2006 the Carling Cup was our best chance of a trophy, because we were still playing catch up with Chelsea and Liverpool had knocked us out of the FA Cup, so I'm glad we put out strong sides in the semi's and the final.

However, this season we are/were in 7 competitions so I think the youngsters MUST be used because otherwise we'll pay for it come the end of the season.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
antdevil78 said:

You make a good point Ant. Look at Reddwarf's post and that would be more
or less my answer as well.

TheManc said:
Liverpool FC

League titles: 18

FA Cup's: 7

Carling Cups: 7

Community Shields: 15

Manchester United:

League titles: 17

FA Cup's: 11

Community Shields: 17

Interesting. So is it like 47 all at the moment? and if we win one more can we have bragging rights
over them in your opinion? For me the League is the main one. If we make it 18-18 then that
should make us THE most successful team ever in England (48-47) ;-)
but you gotta count those European Cups as well really lol.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If SAF plays youngsters in the competition and they get us to the quarter final... I wouldnt be happy if he plays our strongest team from then on. That cant be fair.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts