·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the general view now?

I never sw a transfer so heavily bashed when it went through so much as
Carricks. Seems like quite a bargain now in ways considering the prices other
players have swapped clubs for.

He's integral to United's play this season and we really, really miss him when he's
not playing. At 16M, I think Spurs were robbed! He's up there in the top 3 for my
Utd player of the season thus far.

How Capello doesn't pick him is beyond belief, but if he's not away with En-ger-land,
then less chances of picking up a needless injury.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Forget about England for a minute, cos there are a lot of better mids than him in England,
but 16m for United is looking like a bargain, especially in this day and age of
inflated prices. He is comfortable on the ball, reads the game well, and is a quality
passer. My only grumble would be that he cant do it consistently in the 'big' games, when
we really need a midfield presence to control and dominate proceedings.
Whichever way you want to look at it, it's no major coincidence that we have won
2 Prems and a CL since he has arrived at the club to don the famous 16 shirt.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Nearing the world class standards set by Scholsey.

Still some way to go to lick Scholes' arse yet though.

Best midfielder over the past few year/

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Well, I've got to say that when we were looking for a midfielder Carrick wasn't a name to jump out at you. But I was fairly open-minded about the transfer, my only slight concern being that I though the fee was a bit inflated.

He's been a great signing, and I have no regrets about how much we paid for him. He's been our best midfielder for the past few years, and hes an important player for us. But we don't see it until he isn't there.

The transfer was £14m, potentially rising to £18.6m depending on individual and team honours I think. I wonder how much we're up to now.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I think he's probably been the most consistent performer not only in the United team, but in the Premiership for the past two years. I doubt he'll ever be appreciated for his individual performances on a world stage though. For some reason United players never are, at least in recent years. How Ferdinand and Scholes didn't get UEFA defender and midfielder of the year last season is beyond me. And how Scholes and Giggs have been snubbed for player of the year or midfielder of the year all these seasons is also strange.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
16million isn't a bargain by anybody's standards. It simply isn't.

But he's a very good player and currently one of my favourites. I just wished he could grab hold of a game when it matters. There are a few points I've highlighted in the Carrick thread. He's done slightly better when he's under pressure and he scored a few goals, so the last thing he needs to stamp his authority on games to truly reach world-class standards.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
2 Premierships
1 Champions League
1 FA Cup runners up

16M well spent.

Great player. And I disagree with the whole England thing. Individually there may be better players, but Carrick should play as he is perfect for the international scen where possession is key.

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
TheManc said:
1 FA Cup runners up
we bought him to help us come second in the cup?
finalists are 1st placed losers, that's not united :)

but no, i still agree on the points, questions are raised about prices, but he's as good if not better than players like modric (£16) and fellaini (£15??) and also is a player that you can see staying with us till the end of his career. his vision is about half as good as scholes', which would still probably put him second or third in the league :)

if he keeps progressing steadily, he and anderson have the potential to be the best central midfield pairing in europe. and i don't say that lightly.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Money well spent, with every game you can see a little improvement here and there in his game adding to the qualities he's already got.hope he continues to develop even further and the guy can be a major driving force and midfield fixture for years to come.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
diffrent class in my eyes i was a doubter at the start
but completly changed my views
made the position his own now i feel alot better when he plays

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Lets break this down a minute carrick is in the 3rd year of the original 5 year contract and this is a breakdown of what he has won .

2 X Premier league titles
1 X European cup
2 X Community shield
1 X Lost fa cup final

seems a bargin to me

A

·
Registered
542 Posts
carrick has really impressed me, you need to have a player like carrick to control and dominate the game. imo i think anderson is more of a central runner who uses pace to make quick 1-2's tbh.

carrick relaxes our midfield and makes some great passes. also hes got two good feet. very underrated player. my only cridict on him is he does not shoot often, but adds do another quality- modesty and disciplin :p

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
there is no doubt that carrick has improved utd's midfield and he does have a touch of class about him.but after being brought up on robson,whiteside, ince, keane,scholes he does seem a touch lightweight or perhaps "non-urgent" is the word i should use ,he is certainly different on the eye and i wish he had that little extra "snap" about him to really make me happy .

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
carrick does all his stuff quietly and with minimal fuss which is why i think he dont tend to get the credit he deserves from outside OT.

carrick/fletcher have been some of the highlights of this season so far

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
sweet fa said:
there is no doubt that carrick has improved utd's midfield and he does have a touch of class about him.but after being brought up on robson,whiteside, ince, keane,scholes he does seem a touch lightweight or perhaps "non-urgent" is the word i should use ,he is certainly different on the eye and i wish he had that little extra "snap" about him to really make me happy .

Really agree with this post. I wish he played with a bit more urgency and fire in the belly too. It would take him to the top level of midfielders.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
Keano! said:
What's the general view now?

I never sw a transfer so heavily bashed when it went through so much as
Carricks. Seems like quite a bargain now in ways considering the prices other
players have swapped clubs for.

He's integral to United's play this season and we really, really miss him when he's
not playing. At 16M, I think Spurs were robbed! He's up there in the top 3 for my
Utd player of the season thus far.

How Capello doesn't pick him is beyond belief, but if he's not away with En-ger-land,
then less chances of picking up a needless injury.

I disagree, he is a good player but lets face it his overinflated price came in more with the fact that he is english than anything else. what I think has happened to him is that he has flourished under scholes more than anything, scholes in a way frees him up to play his game which is basically smart passing and good retention of the ball. but for 16 million I want a player that can totally control the center of the midfield something carrick doesnt have imo.

Z

·
0 Posts
mufc-ok said:
If you want to disagree with somebody that's fair enough, do it intelligently and explain your reasons. Posts like yours are not acceptable on this forum and abuse of the members and staff more so. This will be your only warning.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Thought he was easily our man of the match, especially in the first half ( though followed closely by Evra). And Rooney's goal was really made by Park's persistence and a left-footed Carrick shot.

There is nothing flashy about him at all, but his vision is superb. There was one point in the first half where he lobbed sweetly over a defender. It looked just like something Scoles would do. Wonder where he learned that??!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts