Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I like him a lot. He has the best rage of passing right after Scholes, of course, and we need that desperately.

I think he has the potential to become a great play maker. When he does get forward he is usually composed in front of goal.

That's another plus for me. Wish Anderson was a touch more composed in front of goal. :)

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Genius at passing : Yes

Genius overall: No.

I've always rated Carrick. Since his first season here and tbh a lot of people say this is his best ever season for us... I disagree. I think in his first season, he really flourished near the end and banged in quite a few goals.

The two main problems which he has imo are: Not enough of goals and his total lack of aggression. If he could become a bit more agressive I think he would go from being an excellent player to being a world class player. Definitely one of the most underrated players at the club though.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
To answer your 1st question - No he's not a Genuis.

Carrick is one of the untouchables in Fergie's side. If he's fit he generally starts.
He's had a pretty good season with United again. He's got himself a few goals and has continued to do well with his assists. He has a brillant range of passing and can pick out that killer pass under pressure. I think he's done well since signing for us but he's hardly set the world alight. Still he's a brillant 1st team player for us and he will be a hugely important player for years to come at this club. It will be very interesting to see what Fergie's 1st choice Midfield will be next season.

·
23,699 Posts
He is not great or will never look great because he is not our ideal box to box all-action hero, lacks aggression like what we hope to see in a typical swashbuckling CM and does not impose himself like he is running the show.

But he is very good and classy because of his wide range of passing ability, composure, positioning sense, clever interceptions and clean tackles.

And he is very important for us as evidenced by him being the first name in the team sheet for CM because only the alas, ageing Scholes, can pass like that or be so composed about things in the middle of the park.

However, playing alongside Fletcher, Anderson or Hargreaves would make up for his perceived shortfalls (not Scholes please for duplication reason) and allowing him to break forward to be transformed instantly into our box to box hero. He is certainly capable of breaking into the box and shooting from outside the box (remember Roma game too?) but has strangely been pretty modest about his lesser known attributes.

Can he improve further from here? Yes, as in the areas highlighted in previous paragraph.

But he will never be able to be robust, aggressive or snapping away like a Fletcher or a Mascherano to meet our ideals of an all-action hero. Why? Because he is classy. :)

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Good player but he flatters to deceive at times. Can play a nice through ball but can equally lose the ball cheaply on occasion as well. I rate him as a top midfielder but he is no Gerrard or Lampard and never will be. Even Gareth Barry is more consistent. Carrick has shown his worth but he is a slow burner of sorts.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
One of my favourite players at United - despite him being a Geordie. I've always admired his composure, and he's one of those players who you're confident when he has the ball at his feet. Rarely does he misplace a pass. I'd like to see his completion rate come the end of the season actually.

He's also beginning to get more freedom and averaging around five a season, which while good, is probably not as much as he'd like to get. I've always said he can play in a more advanced role; he just needs to have a consistent partner in midfield who can take care of the 'dirty work', be it Hargreaves (which would make for an interesting partnership, IF Hargreaves can ever regain fitness for a sustained period) or Fletcher (who actually seems to play well alongside Carrick - Roma 7-1 springs to mind).

He'll be important for club and country for years to come I'm sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Michael Carrick- good or bad.

i personally think hes quality one of our real work horses but ive heard negative vibes from fellow supporters and other fans!
I'll take neg vibes if he scores goals like that. he closes other players down off the ball and believe me fletch learns from him. Is everyone still on fletches back or have you still got faith in Sir Alex. Carrick doesn't giv opponents space. Play gibson instead and you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
At the end of the day Carrick has always done well in my eyes i mean people say he only plays short passes or only turns back but if people like him dont play 5 yard passes then Ronaldo, Rooney and Berba dont get there goals!!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.