Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i love carrick he seems to never put a foot wrong

i call him the wall, stays there in the middle of the pitch you pass it to him and it bounces back

i just think he could step it up, i mean you see him make lots of great forward attacking runs abit like gerrard but he needs to grab the moment more and SHOOT!!! stop looking for the little balls through the eye of a needle and charge on the goal.

great player as he is but i think he could add more to his game and dare i say it but be nearly as good as gerrard

·
Bra-burning feminist
3,918 Posts
He's not really an attacking midfielder in the same way Gerrard is and Scholes was for so many years. He doesn't make the same runs into the box, that's not what his game is about.

It's great to get goals from your midfield, and I would like him to be like that, but that's not really what Fergie brought Carrick for. His passing in midfield is excellent, and although it's not as great as Scholes' once was, he's now our best passer in the centre of midfield. I don't think he'll ever reach the potential of a attacking midfielder because that's not really what he is - he's probably reached his potential in regards to a commanding midfielder in the centre of the pitch.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's not really an attacking midfielder in the same way Gerrard is and Scholes was for so many years. He doesn't make the same runs into the box, that's not what his game is about.

It's great to get goals from your midfield, and I would like him to be like that, but that's not really what Fergie brought Carrick for. His passing in midfield is excellent, and although it's not as great as Scholes' once was, he's now our best passer in the centre of midfield. I don't think he'll ever reach the potential of a attacking midfielder because that's not really what he is - he's probably reached his potential in regards to a commanding midfielder in the centre of the pitch.
yea i know what your saying but you do see carrick in many attacking positions and you screaming at him to shoot or somthing lol he looks losst when he gets to the box he dont know what to do

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I agree the the OP. I think at the moment, he's a very tidy, talented, decent midfielder. If he starts making more forward runs (like he did to score against Pompey and to win the penalty against Tottenham) and getting involved more in attack, being creative and dynamic like he has the ability to do, he could be a world class midfielder. But to play like that you need to be very passionate and it remains to be seen whether he could live up to his potential.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Carrick will never be a great player IMO.
He's done well since signing for us and he has impressed at times.
But I don't think he is anywhere near Gerrard or Lampard - in terms of a top midfielder.
He seems to be one of the untouchables in Fergies line-ups, because if he's fit he usually starts.
But I don't think there's much more he can improve to his game, possibly his shooting.
It will be interesting to see who plays in our midfield regularly next season.

·
Bra-burning feminist
3,918 Posts
yea i know what your saying but you do see carrick in many attacking positions and you screaming at him to shoot or somthing lol he looks losst when he gets to the box he dont know what to do
Yes, his shooting could definitely be better. He could get more goals than he does if he just took a shot instead of looking for someone to pass it to. But I think a fair few of our forwards have been a bit guilty of that this season - trying to pass the ball into the back of the net similarly to Arsenal. We've improved in the last month or so though.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts

i call him the wall, stays there in the middle of the pitch you pass it to him and it bounces back

i just think he could step it up, i mean you see him make lots of great forward attacking runs abit like gerrard but he needs to grab the moment more and SHOOT!!! stop looking for the little balls through the eye of a needle and charge on the goal.

great player as he is but i think he could add more to his game and dare i say it but be nearly as good as gerrard

er...

think you got the thread title wrong.

It should probably read, Carrick has room for improvement.

At his age and having watched for three season, I would say there is some potential left to develope, but it's up to him.

Certainly he's technique is good and of the physical techniques, he could improve his shooting with practise, but of all the trait we desire Michael Carrick to develope, the most common ones seem to be attitude-related.

And I just think that he is too placid a character to ever become the midfielder he could be.

So there is definite room for improvement, but IMO not much potential left to be developed.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
...but of all the trait we desire Michael Carrick to develop, the most common ones seem to be attitude-related.

And I just think that he is too placid a character to ever become the midfielder he could be.

So there is definite room for improvement, but IMO not much potential left to be developed.
I like that part of him if paired with Hargreaves, Anderson, and your favorite Fletcher. Both of them are fiery enough to supply that grit in the middle. I feel you need someone like Carrick that is calm, cool, and collected in the middle and just always composed. Calms alot of my nerves when I see him on the teamsheet before games at tough opposing atmospheres.

Biggest area of improvement to me for Carrick is learning when to burst into the box like Lamps does.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I always loved this guy because of the way he plays. His passing is something that very few players have. Every ball that he send have eyes. His only weak spot is couse he is litlle slower then others but he is strong, have good shot, team player, never selfish, good jumper etc.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I like that part of him if paired with Hargreaves, Anderson, and your favorite Fletcher. Both of them are fiery enough to supply that grit in the middle. I feel you need someone like Carrick that is calm, cool, and collected in the middle and just always composed. Calms alot of my nerves when I see him on the teamsheet before games at tough opposing atmospheres.

Biggest area of improvement to me for Carrick is learning when to burst into the box like Lamps does.
I don't think its even the 'grit' that RFR means, like if he wasn't so placid he could be so much more mobile on the pitch, dictating everything, getting forward, creating, scoring etc. But as it is he just likes to hold his nice position and make a good pass when it gets to him.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Carrick will never be a great player IMO.
He's done well since signing for us and he has impressed at times.
But I don't think he is anywhere near Gerrard or Lampard - in terms of a top midfielder.
He seems to be one of the untouchables in Fergies line-ups, because if he's fit he usually starts.
But I don't think there's much more he can improve to his game, possibly his shooting.
It will be interesting to see who plays in our midfield regularly next season.
totally agree with you :thumbsup: , its clear that carrick has improved utds midfield since he arrived but he has hardly set the place alight . he seems totally happy being a small cog in midfield instead of trying to steamroll through there , i think he's got the talent but he ain't got the confidence to push himself and its a shame really.

·
23,699 Posts

Agree.

While Carrick lacks aggression and doggedness and is probably too classy for dirty works, his range of passing, composure, positional sense, timely tackles and interceptions make him the first CM on the team sheet. He has to partner with Hargreaves, Anderson or Fletcher to balance up our midfield.

That leaves only one thing he can work on like many mentioned - timing his run into the box to score. He has done that on a few occasions already but is more like exception than the norm. Contrast Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes in the past etc.

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,076 Posts
Carrick isn't Gayrard or Scholes.......He's Carrick.A magician in his own right,superb vision and top notch passing game.He could shoot more but he wont as that would dispute his duties of holding the middle.Without Carrick we have alot of great potential,but no-one makes me feel more comfortable when mentioned in a starting line up....

·
Registered
11,207 Posts

Hmm.... I don't think it's the case of one or the other.

I don't think Lampard or Gerrard lack composure, yet they still demand the ball, run with it, drive the game, can keep it simple during build up play, or drive play forward quickly during attacks.

They can be composed when passing the ball, but know how to 'take the game' to the opponents.

I really don't think you have to sacrifice one for the other.

Believe me, I rate Carrick. His passing is the best in the league. I just think with a bit more fire in his belly and directness in his game, he could be truly world-class.

Getting into the box more often and shooting closer to goal probably wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Hmm.... I don't think it's the case of one or the other.

I don't think Lampard or Gerrard lack composure, yet they still demand the ball, run with it, drive the game, can keep it simple during build up play, or drive play forward quickly during attacks.

They can be composed when passing the ball, but know how to 'take the game' to the opponents.

I really don't think you have to sacrifice one for the other.

Believe me, I rate Carrick. His passing is the best in the league. I just think with a bit more fire in his belly and directness in his game, he could be truly world-class.

Getting into the box more often and shooting closer to goal probably wouldn't hurt either.
I am not saying you don't rate him, just saying I appreciate how calm he is at all times.

And no, I am not saying that Lamps or Gerrard lack composure either, just saying that it doesn't bother me that he is always relaxed since we have fire from Hargreaves, Anderson, and Fletcher in the middle as well.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts

some very good points and you know what i noticed ?

maybe it's a coincidence but it seems to me that he runs forward and shoots more when having fletcher behind him

when he plays along scholes, scholes is the one dictating the play. when there's anderson they divide they responisbilites for play making but when there'e fletcher behind him it's as if we then see true carrick

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.