1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Newcastle's season in free-fall they don't exactly rate highly in terms of
transfer attractiveness at the moment.

Yet according to something called the Shields Gazette United midfielder Michael
Carrick will be their No1 target this summer if the club avoid the drop.

We heard all this before in January and the logic appears to be that as local boy
Carrick is a former member of the Toon Army that this will be enough to persuade
him to join.

Well, obviously.

Will Carrick be tempted to join the team he once supported no matter Newcastle's
form?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Answering ur question, personally I think that the answer is very possibly.
Imagine this, if now ue were a die-hard United fanatic. 10 years on, United suffered a drastic change in club fortunes' & transform from a European powerhouse to a mid-table club in the Premiership. Then one day, if they came in
with an offer to purchase you, and by that time ue were playing for the defending champions, will ue leave?? Moreover ue hve slipped down the pecking order
and isn't promised by the manager that ue will feature in the Starting-XI week-in, week out?? Yes, I believed he will leave. ;)

·
Banned
198 Posts
Maaayyybeeeeee. There have been reports of us being interested in Miguel Veloso of Sporting Lisbon. But am not sure how good his passing is compared o Carrick's, although they do play in similar positions.

To be fair i can't see Carrick being sold. His heart was broken once at Newcastle, and the other pieces are for a woman to break (lol). Newcastle can throw as much money they want at us but we'll just reject them, we ain't tramps who need cash.

it's not often Fergie buys a player to keep for 1 or 2 seasons then to sell on. The fact that other teams want him show how highly he is coveted. Not many players about with his passing qualities at all. We paid 18m gbp for him and will keep him until further notice.

Besides, what person in their right mind would win the EPL x 2 and UCL with one of the Greatest clubs in the world, only to play second tier football next season:s. Does this guy want to keep his England place or what?

Newcastle is a morgue for most professional footballers. Newcastle are best shedding their imported players in favour of home grown talent. They'll be the only ones to play for newcastle with passion e.g. that 21yr old kid who came out, wearing his geordie heart on his sleeve telling the expensive players to full their effing socks up or pee off. :)

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
newcastle are idiots we could get 20million for him, id snap the hands off them!! hes never gonna be united standard!

·
23,699 Posts
red_devils4life said:
Answering ur question, personally I think that the answer is very possibly.
Imagine this, if now ue were a die-hard United fanatic. 10 years on, United suffered a drastic change in club fortunes' & transform from a European powerhouse to a mid-table club in the Premiership. Then one day, if they came in
with an offer to purchase you, and by that time ue were playing for the defending champions, will ue leave?? Moreover ue hve slipped down the pecking order
and isn't promised by the manager that ue will feature in the Starting-XI week-in, week out?? Yes, I believed he will leave. ;)
10 years on?:eek:

I don't think the thread is speculating so far into the future...

In the near future, I doubt he wants to go back there. He still has an axe to grind with Newcastle is one thing; the other is I don't think anybody who is young and ambitious wants to play for them at least for now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Na why would he when Scholes is probably gonna retire/leave after the end of next season, that'd only leave Carrick, Anderson & Hargreaves (and maybe Fletcher if he's still at the club) competing for 2 central midfielders. So he'd have it all to play for.

Newcastle would just be a suicide move anyway and I doubt very much he'd want to play in The Championship next season.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Why does everyone demean Carrick so? :( Makes me truly sad. Honestly I rate him above Hargreaves in certain areas. People seemed to have developed a mindset that because he cost 18.5 million pounds anything less than consistent world class performances mean he's failed. I don't buy into that. In our central midfield at the moment I rate Carrick as our equal best performer alongside Anderson.. Paul Scholes is my favourite player and I truly mean that but at 34 he, like Maldini & Giggs, is finally succumbing to age and weariness. They can be world class still but not for sustained periods. Carrick's passing puts him in a league up there with some of the best creative play makers around today and feel free to disagree. In fact I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Carrick will go on to do an "Inzahgi". By that I refer to a famous quote by the Inzaghi himself. Upon reaching the milestone of all time European top scorer he remarked "I think I'm a rather ordinary player who's had a rather extraordinary career". I'm not calling Carrick a "rather ordinary player" but some gut instinct tells me Carrick, in terms of trophies, may well go on to punch well above his weight. Let's face it he's never going to be European Footballer of the year so top individual honours are probably out of his reach...YET he's in his 2nd year for Man United and he has 1 Premiership Medal, I Charity Shield, he's fighting for a second premiership and a Champions League title. I don't want to count chickens before they hatch but Carrick has an outside chance of making it 4 trophies, 2 premiership, 1 Champions League, 1 Charity Shield, in 2 years with United. Not too shabby, eh? Plus one feels we're overdue on a FA Cup or maybe Carling Cup. Maybe, just maybe, Carrick could be the "ordinary" player who goes on to an "extraordinary" career.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah i agree with dlan4327, carrick is even more creative than hargreaves in my opinion. He is very aggressive and always look to move forward and join the team's attack, as you can see, the 6-0 over newcastle and 7-1 over AS Roma matches, carrick's presence is living up united's attacking move. I'm not telling that he is the key player in those two matches but at least his passing was terrific and blend in really well with the team's attacking mentality. So even if carrick is interested in a move elsewhere, i believe Fergie will do what's necessary to let him stay.

·
Registered
736 Posts
no way.....
carrick & anderson are the best midfielder...
with carrick good at defending and his passing are really good....
anderson good in attacking & strength ...........

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Well anything is possible and he could leave. But not to worry because we can afford a suitable replacement for him easily. If the right amount comes in, and if he wants to leave then why not? I say selling Fletcher is 1st priority because its the amount of cm's we got in the club is making fergie play with 3 cm's with a 4-5-1- or a 4-4-3 and we need to play 4-4-2!! And maybe that is why we are linked to Veloso who can play cm and what about that new brazilian kid Possebon? But yeah Carrick is a good player who doesn't mind the cm rotation policy so him staying wouldn't bother me much either.

·
Registered
488 Posts
SAF bought him into the team at quite a high price, I dun see them selling him away that fast... Although I'm not much of a fan of him. But I believed in years to come he will be a great player...

He need time to establish his play like what he did in Tottenham Hotspur.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
he will be tempted to join because he is guaranteed first team football there....but dont know if he is interested in joining a weak team(never thought i would say this 2 years ago but am saying now) like newcastke.......

1 - 20 of 40 Posts