Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chelsea defender Ricardo Carvalho has voiced concerns that the Blues' squad may disband over the summer, and that he himself is unsure of his future...

Despite Avram Grant's undoubted achievement of guiding the Blues to the summit of unprecedented glory, ultimately, this is Jose Mourinho's team.

They are the players that the Special One brought together and motivated to go out and play every game as if it were a local derby, and for the players, of several different nationalities, to be so unified on the pitch and almost unbreakable as a result.

The very moment he left, the rumours of unrest were rife, and with Carvalho himself having played under Jose at Porto and being brought along to Stamford Bridge, could well be one of the first out, with Real Madrid showing interest in the stopper.

Didier Drogba has of course been courted by every major European club around - if you are to believe the speculation - and Frank Lampard has attracted interest from Juventus, while a move to Barcelona remains unlikely but not impossible.

Petr Cech was reportedly subject of a mammoth transfer bid from Milan, but the Blues rebuffed the approach. Michael Ballack, despite his strong end to the season, may well choose to go elsewhere, while Tal Ben-Haim, Steve Sidwell, Claudio Pizarro, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Andriy Shevchenko - among others, quite conceivably - will be leaving to seek more regular football.

Carvalho is braced for an exodus: “You have to be prepared for the team to disperse, because when it's like that, someone goes, someone stays, someone comes. I don't know yet whether I'll stay, but I have a contract.â€

Despite not being drawn on his future, he insisted he liked life in London with the Blues: “I don't know what will happen, but it's good here. Everyone has known each other for a long time and we enjoy each others' company.

"Every season I think we get stronger. We have a strong team and a compact team, so I hope that in this last game we can show those qualities, play well and show our experience."

Having already won the Champions League in 2004 - with Mourinho's Porto - Carvalho thinks the Blues must win against Manchester United, who they face in Moscow on May 21.

“Back then at Porto nobody was expecting us to win the Champions League," he recalled. "Now everyone says Chelsea has to win the Champions League. We have big players here - and it is important for us to win it now.â€

Michael Ballack has been on the losing end of a Champions League final, while Andriy Shevchenko both won and lost finals with Milan, and Ashley Cole, who controversially joined Chelsea from city rivals Arsenal, lost in the 2006 final with the Gunners, against Barcelona, in a team that included Juliano Belletti, who is now his team-mate with the Blues.

Belletti scored his first and only ever goal for Barcelona to win the game in Paris, and Cole is hoping that he is not on the losing side again.

“I don't want the same situation as last time,†insisted the England international. “No one remembers the losers. We want to go there and hopefully pick up that trophy.

“Before the [2006 final] no one expected [Arsenal] to win as there were a lot of young players, but we went 1-0 up and it should have been 2-0. We had a man sent off and, of course, Belletti comes along and scores, which I hear about all the time."

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
This my friend is not a sign of a well bonded and gelled squad. There are differnces especially the public one b/w Drogba and Ballack. And to come out ans say this be4 final is dangerous. I feel the squad will be torn apart sply whe drogba goes to AC Milan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts