Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chelsea's John Terry - Wide Of The Mark, Yet Again!

Making a complete fool of yourself in front of millions around the world must really hurt. Slipping up like the fat kid in the park as you step up to take the penalty that could have written your name into the annals of football history and given your team the kudos it so desperately longs for and scarcely deserves: that must blimmin well hurt too. Crying your eyes out like a big girl even though you swagger around like a Barking hard lad and knowing the whole world is guffawing at your failings: that must hurt like hell.

That's a lot of hurt.

Nonetheless, it doesn't give you carte blanche to talk rubbish.

John Terry's clearly been smarting all summer over his spectacular gaffe on the rain-sodden Luzhniki turf, judging by his bullish comments in an interview with the Daily Mail:

‘Last year I think we saw the very best of United, but we have got an awful lot more to come. We have got improvements to make, but I think United are at their peak.

‘Coming away without a trophy for the first time in four years was very disappointing for a club like ours. But the togetherness off the field was at a level I have never seen before.

‘The chips were down what with the injuries, a change of manager and different things happening around the club. The team and the players came closer together. We had our own meetings and were straight with each other. I have never seen anything like it.

‘I think it's taken to us to another level and it was an achievement for us to get to where we did last season.

‘We have to use that to our advantage because this year we have an awesome manager and to combine it with our togetherness could be fantastic.'

Several factual errors and debatable points there, Johnny Boy, which we'll be happy to discuss:

Firstly, we very much doubt United have reached their peak. Newcomers to the team last year like Hargreaves, Tevez, Nani and Anderson performed exceptionally well in their first season. Given that they have had a full season and a bit to bed in, we are likely to expect more and not less of them.

Add into the mix the fact that we will in all likelihood retain the services of Ronaldo (albeit against his wishes) and add another quality striker into the mix (probably Berbatov once Daniel Levy stops sulking), then on paper at least, United look ever more formidable.

Secondly, you're right that having spent the most money of any Premier League club over the past five years by a long chalk you should be disappointed to have not won anything at all last time out.

We're assuming that the phrase ‘a club like ours' refers exclusively to the fact that your club is the plaything of a Russian billionaire and from a financial viewpoint is about a solvent as the Zimbabwe economy. (Yep, we know we have three-quarters of a billion quid of debt and the Glazers are opportunistic businessmen and not wide-eyed footie fans like little Roman - who fell in love with the game at Old Trafford remember).

The phrase ‘a club like ours' has to logically refer to your financial might because it can't be accurately used to invoke any sense of a long-standing record of tradition or success - since before Abramovich's arrival you were simply an insolvent and unremarkable minor London team.

Thirdly, you got injuries. Boo hoo! Like this never happens to any other club.

United spent large portions of the season without key players, losing Rooney for example at the start of the campaign - much as we appear to be doing again. With your spending power and the size of squad you can build with that financial wherewithal any failure to sufficiently accommodate for the possibility of injury is mostly your fault and not that of fickle fate.

Fourth, your manager situation.

Nobody forced Roman Abramovich to edge Mourinho out the door and employ his new best mate instead. Mourinho had done precisely nothing wrong when ousted from the hot seat and - funnily enough - Grant did very little wrong either, if you examine the stats.

The truth is, United were just consistently better and Luiz Felipe Scolari will discover that Fergie doesn't plan on relinquishing his victory sash any time soon as he heads into the final years of his Old Trafford tenure.

Nice try at mind games Johnny Boy - but do something more worthwhile. You know - like practice your penalties....?

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
If you watch the pen he took more carefully, you'll see he hits the ball and then slips. So even if he didn't fall, he still would've missed.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I'm starting to feel sorry for him actually.

What a shame it must be to miss a penalty in the biggest game your ever likely to play in during your career, crying like a baby, have most of Britain laugh at you then say something which is totally wrong and unfactual.

LMAO!

But seriously, whos he trying to kid? Himself? Seems that way to me.

United is the future! :D

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
It really bugs me that chelsea always talk about how good their team spirit is. Are they trying to make up for something they don't have... Why do they keep saying it?

·
Registered
590 Posts
RichardsReds said:
It really bugs me that chelsea always talk about how good their team spirit is. Are they trying to make up for something they don't have... Why do they keep saying it?
Very fair point. Especially considering some of the antics going on in the game we played against them in the league in April. Ballack and Drogba I think it was argueing over who would take the free kick and Essien turning away in embarrasment. Looks like they're just one big happy family :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Whilst we all laughed and enjoyed Terry's slip, I do firmly believe its about time it was killed and forgotten. Its now the 2008/2009 season and we, as CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE, should not be looking back, but forward.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
RichardsReds said:
I would agree with you actually.

Thats a good point.

As someone already said, the Ballack-Drogba situation was embarrassing for them. If that was 2 United players, I would be extremely embarrassed as a supporter.

Add to that the fact that there was constant rumours of fighting in the 'family', it seems you have a really good point there.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
I suppose he could be right. I mean, our best striker is into his 30's and half our team are coming up to that age, while they have quite a few quality young players who are all under 25 and could potentially be world class one day.

Oh wait....

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
all they can do is just speak!! they can't even do it! JT will slip again if he's in the final, but no way he'll be there this season

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
RichardsReds said:
cause they know they will never be as big as us.jealousy and envy,thats why they keep saying it.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
What was John Terry supposed to say? :rolleyes: he didnt say anything
insulting to us and he just stated the obvious so i dont really get the point of
this thread. yeah we had a great laugh about him for months but lets
concentrate on us rather than him all the time. Id like to think the United
team won the cup rather than it being all about JT.
Im nearly feeling sorry for him now. He has to live with that for the rest of his life
and thats not an easy thing to do.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Next time we play Chelski will be very, very interesting....

..presuming he plays, he will either play an unbelievable game as he overcomes
hsi penalty miss or else he'll crumble.

One way or another I think we should remember that he is one of the best
central defenders in the Prem....anyone could miss a penalty........still though,
won't get tired of watching! :p

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
He might have a valid point, or you might be able to at least see his argument if you think about it. Think about the all injuries they had and never really got to settle in as a squad, yet they still pushed us all the way to the end on both fronts. However I disagree with the fact that we have peaked with how much youth is in our squad and those that were in their first years.

Z

·
0 Posts
We had our fair share of injuries too Cappy.

Rooney was out injured several times.

Hargreaves was out a lot.

Neville was out for the whole season, meaning we won a
European and domestic double without our captain.

Saha...well we all know about him.

We went through the entire season without a recognized centre forward,
so hearing him moan about injuries as an excuse makes me laugh.

I agree with Jazz though, we should be focusing on United and our success.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I agree completely. I am not forgetting our injuries by any means, just saying that Terry isn't as senile as people think for saying that he thinks they can improve based on the amount of injuries they sustained. I certainly think we will, so they better. ;)

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
If it was anyone but JT then I would have a lot of sympathy for them, but seeing how much of a bully him, Ballack, Drogba and Makalele were to Tevez in final made me hate them even more.

Thankfully Vidic stood up to them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts