Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chelsea only beat the small teams now - former boss Vialli says Blues have gone backwards under Scolari

Gianluca Vialli believes Chelsea are going backwards this season because they can't beat the top teams.

The former Blues manager watched their dismal 3-1 defeat by Roma in the Champions League as a pundit for Sky Sport Italia and was shocked by how badly they played.

It was Chelsea's heaviest defeat in Europe's premier club competition for four years, while they have also suffered setbacks in the Premier League against their title rivals, losing against Liverpool and drawing with Manchester United.
Vialli said: 'I don't think Chelsea are the same team as they were a few years ago. They don't have the consistency any more.

'They were beaten by Manchester United in the final of the Champions League last season and also lost against Liverpool at home the other week. Before they used to beat these teams.'
Vialli feels manager Luiz Felipe Scolari, who has set his sights on winning all four trophies this season, was outthought by Roma counterpart, Luciano Spalletti.
He added: 'Chelsea went to Rome to settle for whatever they could get and, when you do that, you end up losing the game on most occasions. Roma had a great reaction to this, especially after all the problems they have had recently.

'Spalletti changed the system, with [Francesco] Totti behind [Mirko] Vucinic as well as [Matteo] Brighi supporting [Simone] Perrotta on the flanks, and this made life difficult for [Florent] Malouda. Roma showed great football with the ball to feet and it worked.'
Captain John Terry blasted the players for showing a lack of fight in the Stadio Olimpico, claiming they 'will get nowhere near the final' if they continue to perform as poorly.

He added: 'We didn't get out of first gear. It was a terrible night. We knew they'd been struggling and the pressure was on them.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1083498/Chelsea-flat-track-bullies--Vialli-says-Blues-gone-Scolari.html

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
thats so true..they crumbled to Roma..they couldn't beat us.even the pool had them.they play some pretty football,but the other night they were really awful.they rip the smaller teams apart ,but have trouble with the big boys.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
lets see what they do against arsenal..sunday they have black burn, i have chelsea supporters in my family and at first they loved scholari,they still do.but now they fear he makes too many wrong changes.

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Look what they have done to Hull totally out played them away from home and we struggle to beat Hull at home. They have the strongest squad in England

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
absolutely true..they turned Hull over.they are strong and have a brilliant squad.but maybe they will struggle against us and arsenal.lets see.
i hope that its us and them at the end of the season.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
marty davidson said:
Look what they have done to Hull totally out played them away from home and we struggle to beat Hull at home. They have the strongest squad in England
At least 2 out of the 3 Hulls goals we gave away were a fluke lob and a penalty..... The Hull game for us was a one off Marty!
We have just as strong a squad as Chelsea, we shouldn't fear them!

They should never have let Jose leave...... Scolari doesn't have the what it takes to manage big club IMO!!!

I hope they crumble under him

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
VaVaVoom said:
At least 2 out of the 3 Hulls goals we gave away were a fluke lob and a penalty..... The Hull game for us was a one off Marty!
We have just as strong a squad as Chelsea, we shouldn't fear them!

They should never have let Jose leave...... Scolari doesn't have the what it takes to manage big club IMO!!!

I hope they crumble under him

their biggest mistake was to get rid of the special one...but we'll see where they end up..i just want us to beat them at O T....:cool:

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
marty davidson said:
I agree with Marty. Vialli is talking nonsense. Its just 2 games he is mentioning. :rolleyes:
The only position where they are lacking is up front. If Drogba cant stay fit then
they will lose some games. A lot depends on him. Chelsea will be in the hunt
for 4 trophies this season. It will take a mammoth task to stop them.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
I agree with Marty. Vialli is talking nonsense. Its just 2 games he is mentioning. :rolleyes:
The only position where they are lacking is up front. If Drogba cant stay fit then
they will lose some games. A lot depends on him. Chelsea will be in the hunt
for 4 trophies this season. It will take a mammoth task to stop them.
I think last season they looked stronger, i cant see them even getting close to the Champions league final to be totally honest, they lost the 87 game unbeating run under Scolari......... i just think come the buisness end of the season big Phil wont know what hit him and the pressure off important games midweek and on weekends will buckle him! A few Chelsea fans fear this will happen.... he just doesn't have the know how of the run in of the EPL!!
The league is there best buy..... they can write off the CL because they cant win away from home. 5 wins out 23 away from home says it all

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
VaVaVoom said:
I think last season they looked stronger, i cant see them even getting close to the Champions league final to be totally honest, they lost the 87 game unbeating run under Scolari......... i just think come the buisness end of the season big Phil wont know what hit him and the pressure off important games midweek and on weekends will buckle him! A few Chelsea fans fear this will happen.... he just doesn't have the know how of the run in of the EPL!!
The league is there best buy..... they can write off the CL because they cant win away from home. 5 wins out 23 away from home says it all
Their run had to end sometime, and it was the lucky Pool that did it. 87 games
unbeaten at home is pretty ridiculous so you need to give them the respect for that.
Could have been us that beat them just a few weeks earlier!
Chelsea will be there and there abouts in all comps(or 3/4) come the end of the season. (unfortunately)
They have added to their squad of last year with players like Bosingwa and Deco
so for me they are a better outfit. They have just been a bit unlucky with injuries to Essien and the like.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
That says it all.... we nearly beat the a few weeks before Liverpool! i just think their steel has gone, a few seasons ago nobody could beat them!!
they score for fun against bad teams. We will see come the summer how they are!

And we all have injuies
Man utd: Scholes, Hargo and Carrick till now
Liverpool: Torres
Arsenal: Half their team

Maybe i want to believe Vialli because i want to see Chelsea fail but i really think they have lost that steel they had 2/3 years back!
Its just my opinion

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
on their day chelsea can beat anybody....and their away travels have been great, i'm surprised at Vialli though,

·
Registered
32 Posts
They definately have the best squad around but dont be fooled by their recent results against the big teams. We were beaten by liverpool andgot a draw against chelsea but noone would dare suggest united cant beat big teams. Be assured that Chelski are the biggest opposition united have in every competition

·
Registered
1 Posts
To be honest i expect Liverpool to crumble as the season progresses and Arsenal simply don't have the leadership or the metal toughness to put up a serious title challenge... I think it will come down to us and chelsea,who will win it who knows but if Chelsea can get demolished by a team we destroyed 6-1 only two years ago then i fink the title is ours for the taking...

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I'm not going to get excited about those comments. You don't win the league by beating the top teams anyway, it helps, but it's not essential. They've gone forward with Scolari as well, they're playing good football I'm sorry to admit. Plus, they've shown resilliance in bouncing back from the Liverpool defeat with style. Hopefully they don't do the same after this Roma loss though.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
it makes me nervous when i see people making comments such as this because if you are a determined individual...or in chelseas case, a determined team, it can only motivate yo to prove the doubters wrong, even if there is not truth to the accusations in the first place.

Scolari must still think about robinho alot though still! I cannot believe they failed to get him! He would have been immense with chelsea and there strong midfield!

pz

1 - 20 of 22 Posts