Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chelsea planning to charge players for canteen food to cut costs - Exclusive

Chelsea are considering cutting costs by charging players and staff for meals at their Cobham training ground.

Despite being owned by billionaire Roman Abramovich, the Blues laid off 15 international scouts to reduce expenditure two weeks ago.

Now Chris Alexander, their finance director, has canvassed rivals for their approach to charging staff for catering. In his e-mail Alexander reveals: "Even we're starting to look at the cost base!"

A spokesman confirmed: "Costs at the training ground are part of an ongoing review.

"We are aware that other clubs charge staff and players, but no decision has been taken yet."

A senior Chelsea player said last night: "They must be joking if they think we'll pay for a crappy sandwich and a cup of tea. Next they'll be putting meters in the players' car park or asking the NCP to run it for them."

It's understood that chief executive Peter Kenyon has requested cost reviews in all departments of the club.

And after instigating the cuts to the scouting staff, sporting director Frank Arnesen said: "A structure is now in place, even though the credit crunch has meant Roman Abramovich has hit the financial brake and asked us to cut deep.

"We have cut down significantly on scouts and other activities."

And manager Luiz Felipe Scolari recently revealed he cannot buy any players in the January transfer window, unless he raises funds by selling first. Kenyon has insisted in the past that Chelsea would target breaking-even by 2010.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/11/16/chelsea-planning-to-charge-players-for-canteen-food-to-cut-costs-exclusive-115875-20899815/

OH I feel sorry for the senior Chelsea players. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
That's....

....that's the scabbiest thing I've ever heard!:p lmao...Frank probably runs up
quite a bill in th food depatment though! :rolleyes:..He tipped the scales...;)

What next? Will they have to hand in a pound each at the start of every training
session?

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
HAhahaahahahah ......

goodness gracious! I really hope this is the end of the line....

I'm not sure if you guys know, but Bulgarian Airlines ahve gone bust and guess who the owner is?

I'll post it in world affairs.

Fat frank better get some coins ready for the parkin meter!!!

hahahahahahaah thanks for sharing this. Put a smile on my face.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I think it's a bit rich that on a Chelsea player's salary they would balk at shelling out a few bob for a sandwich. It's not like it'd hurt them financially.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
omg....well Abramovich needs to save money somewhere doesn't he..He's been throwing it around for years....but how tight is that though....charge Kenyon for all the hot air he spouts..he damages the ozone layer each time he opens that big hole in his face...

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Well that senior Chelsea player has probably cost all the Chelsea canteen staff their jobs. No doubt he'll now get his maid to make him a packed lunch every day. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thekeanefella said:
ha ha ha ha ha,, your not rich anymore.

maybe they can recoup some of the money spent on shevchenko.

Maybe Chelsea players can eat again when Kenyon and the dudes have squeezed Mutu dry on money. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts