Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 20 of 299 Posts

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I'd make a thread about the Chelsea Barca semi since it's the game everyone's talking about.

It's as the title says. Puyol's suspended & Marquez, surprise, is injured. Pique is good but he's not ready to lead the back line.

Cáceres is 22. Between Drogba and Anelka they have been playing elite football longer than he's been alive.

In fact Pique is the same age as Cáceres. If Chelsea can get the ball to their forwards the game is settled.

Barcelona's only chance is if they attack merciless from beginning to end. They need to dominate the midfield.

The only problem is that Barca's midfield have flair but no true grit. Xavi can fight but other than that...

Iniesta is miraculous but lightweight & he can't do it alone. Toure is not even the best Ivorian on the pitch.

Essien is more than his match. Ballack & Lampard are also capable of getting stuck in far more so than anybody Barca has.

I predict a 1 - 0 or 2 - 0 win to Chelsea. Maybe it will be 2 - 1 but always to Chelsea. Hiddink is too good. Discuss.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
makes it easier for them to score yeah but the away goal rule will play a part. barca are always odds on to score so doesnt really make much difference imo. if they defend how they did at the nou camp i think they will go through

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
makes it easier for them to score yeah but the away goal rule will play a part. barca are always odds on to score so doesnt really make much difference imo. if they defend how they did at the nou camp i think they will go through
Actually I forgot for a moment that on away goals a scoring draw would be enough for Barca.

Barca simply need to not lose. Chelsea must win but I still think the Blues have got it.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Good post and I agree with you. Losing both Puyol and Marquez from an already weak defense would give major head aches for Pep Guardiola. The Barcelona midfield has to dominate possession in order to limit the exploits of Drogba and Anelka. That would be a very difficult task since the Barca midfield might get bossed around by the more physical players like Essien and Ballack. Barca's only hope is to attack. It should make an interesting game.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Im nearly sure of it, that Barca will be shown up on Wednesday.
They ony know how to play one way, with that 4-3-3 and the full-backs attacking too.
There defence is a joke anyway, but losing Puyol and Marquez means Drogba will run riot on them.

This will prove if Barcelona really are that good.

Chelsea to Win it.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think in this match away goals could be decisive. In fact they've already been decisive for Chelsea in the CL.

Putting 3 past Liverpool at Anfield not only sealed a place in the semi's through away goals.

It has he effect of demoralizing the opposition. If Barca score tomorrow Hiddink's game plan goes out the window.

All of a sudden Chelsea not only must score, but they must score twice. Scoring becomes harder when it's do or die.

G

·
I think in this match away goals could be decisive. In fact they've already been decisive for Chelsea in the CL.

Putting 3 past Liverpool at Anfield not only sealed a place in the semi's through away goals.

It has he effect of demoralizing the opposition. If Barca score tomorrow Hiddink's game plan goes out the window.

All of a sudden Chelsea not only must score, but they must score twice. Scoring becomes harder when it's do or die.
That's not true. Chelsea went through because they won 7-5 on aggregate. Over two legs they beat Liverpool by two clear goals, nothing to do with the away goals rule.

G

·
didnt we lose to porto on the away goal ruling?

ac knocked inter out in 2003 on the away goal aswell

theres loads of games that have been decided by the away goal down the years

them two are just off the top of my head
It's happened a few times but it's very rare.

·
23,699 Posts
Chelsea are my former club, it’s hard for me to talk about this,” mused Mourinho when pressed on this issue.

“They are physically the strongest side in the world, feel very comfortable when sitting back and did nothing to score in Barcelona, but looked like they could be there for hours and not concede.

I like the way Mourinho put it. :D

With a weakened Barca's defence which, in itself, is already not impressive, Chelski must be the favourite to win this home leg. Barca have to conjure up something very special to beat the bus and most probably to outscore it. What a tall order going by Mourinho's description.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Chelsea are my former club, it’s hard for me to talk about this,” mused Mourinho when pressed on this issue.

“They are physically the strongest side in the world, feel very comfortable when sitting back and did nothing to score in Barcelona, but looked like they could be there for hours and not concede.

I like the way Mourinho put it. :D

With a weakened Barca's defence which, in itself, is already not impressive, Chelski must be the favourite to win this home leg. Barca have to conjure up something very special to beat the bus and most probably to outscore it. What a tall order going by Mourinho's description.
mourinho is a legend whether you love him or hate him. his hit nail on the head. I think if they play the way they did in the first leg the chance will come. but try and take barca head on you will regret it.

the chance came for them in the 1st leg when drogba broke through but valdes saved them. it will come again in 120 minutes of game time

1 - 20 of 299 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.