Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No United fan wants to admit it but we will be nowhere near come xmas if we dont start to take our chances and manage to keep a few more clean sheets.

Chelsea are beating teams easily with a heavily depleted squad so when all is back then they will be unstoppable.

I am going to be even more controversial and say that at the minute we are playing the worst football out of the "big 4".

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
We're 5 points off, played the 3 toughest away games and still have all the big 3 to come at home, how will it be over at Xmas?

Last season we beat all 3 of them at home, so why can't we do it again?

I actually thought today was our best performance away from home in a long time, bar the finishing.

Christ we've come back from worse positions before, so we can do it again.

Chelsea are ooking more vunerable now they are playing more attack minded. Arsenal will struggle againt the physical teams and Liverpool will start to tail off soon.

If we are 5 points off come new years day I'll fancy our chances of winning the league. There's no need for overacting.

·
Breaking into the first team
654 Posts
TheManc said:
We're 5 points off, played the 3 toughest away games and still have all the big 3 to come at home, how will it be over at Xmas?

I actually thought today was our best performance away from home in a long time, bar the finishing.

Chelsea are ooking more vunerable now they are playing more attack minded. Arsenal will struggle againt the physical teams and Liverpool will start to tail off soon.

If we are 5 points off come new years day I'll fancy our chances of winning the league. There's no need for overacting.

Exactly what i was about to say.

Any UNITED fan who think we are "too far behind" or "we cant win it now" is no TRUE fan in my opinion! :mad:

·
Registered
139 Posts
TheManc said:

my thought exactly, we have come back from a hell of lot worse.
What a stupid Thread!!!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
At least you know you;re being controversial.

I think a lot of us know you well, so we know how you mean this thread ;)

However, I can only repeat what I said in the Arsenal-title hopes over thread.

IT AIN'T OVER TILL IT'S OVER!

You think Newcastle thought we coud make up 12 points and catch them?

Last season we were more than 8 points behind Arsenal at some stage and they were passing teams off the park. ...

It's ain't over till it's over.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Nobody but nobody wins it before christmas , a lot of things can go wrong .
They a week is long time in football and theres still about 6 to go before christmas , anything can happen yet.
But i have to say they are in the paddock wearing the queens colours at the minute.

·
23,699 Posts
I fully agree Chelsea is the team to beat as they give away little and are mentally tougher than any team imo. From nowhere in sight last season after the sudden unceremonious departure of Mourinho, they still managed to, somehow or rather, chase us all the way to the final game. And this season they look even more formidable and are now already leading the pack which is, admitably, frightening.

But to concede the title at Xmas is just way too negative, defeatist and downright degrading. Remember Newcastle and Arsenal? Strange twist of fate does lie in wait and fortune favours the brave.

·
Registered
376 Posts
antdevil78 said:
No United fan wants to admit it but we will be nowhere near come xmas if we dont start to take our chances and manage to keep a few more clean sheets.

Chelsea are beating teams easily with a heavily depleted squad so when all is back then they will be unstoppable.

I am going to be even more controversial and say that at the minute we are playing the worst football out of the "big 4".
I think it's only controversial because we are United fans and it hurts to admit it. I bet fans of other clubs who know their football will not be rushing to put money on United the way it's going.

I agree with the other posters that it's never over till it's over and I won't give up , but unless something changes quick we just won't do it. The other posters forget that Newcastle were not a Chelsea and also they forget that the league is won with more points these days than it is now. Back then it almost felt possible to lose 7, 8 or maybe even 9 games and still win the league whereas now that's hopeless. You give Chelsea a 12 point lead and you will never get it back because it will take them 5 months to drop that many points themselves. Newcastle dropped points all over the shop. Even with a great winning run it could still take till february to get back on terms from 5 points back.

Don't kid yourself folks , devil78 is right - these recent away games at everton, Chelsea , Liverpool , and Arsenal were mini cup finals and we lost two of them.

In the old days in the 90's you could go on a little 6-7 game winning streak and know you were going to catch a team up , not any more , the bar has been raised and we ain't gonna jump it the way things are. United won the league in 97 with a points tally that would just about get us into 4th spot these days. The points dropped today are PRECIOUS and Chelsea will not give them back easily. I think some of you here might be suffering from the same complacency I have talked about in the NO HUNGER- NO TITLE thread.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Liverppol won't win it they are not good enough and Arsenal even though they beat us to day I still doubt they will be there by May and I think we will have to steap up if we want to compete with Chelse as they are on another level this season compared to everyone elce

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Red_Devil28 said:
my thought exactly, we have come back from a hell of lot worse.
What a stupid Thread!!!
Read the thread title before making inflammatory comments. They will have won it by xmas...AT THIS RATE!!!

Nothing was stated that it was over NOW but lets look at the facts

1 point from three away games against the big 3. last season we got 5 points from the same games and didnt lose ANY!!

draws against newcastle, everton when newcastle have played arsenal and lost and everton have played arsenal and liverpool and lost.

14 goals conceded in 11 games when we conceded 22 ALL last season

Chelsea lost 3 games in the league last season and finished 2nd, we have lost 2 already

Except for Hargreaves, we have a full strength squad, Chelsea have numerous players out.

We lost to Liverpool without them playing Torres and Gerrard and Arsenal without Adebayor whilst we had first choice teams out.

Getting bored............

I think you need to take your red white and black tinted glasses off and face reality. This league is no longer the league where you can hand teams huge leads and they blow it come march. We have got a massive challenge on to win this league now and we need a run of massive proportions.

People keep pointing to the fact that our 3 toughest games are over with but because the teams we have played have took points off us they can come to OT and sit back and just play counter-attack football and be happy with a point where we cant afford that luxury now.

I also think some people on here think i take huge satisfaction in stating that united will fail. I hate the fact but at least i got the balls to step up and say it. That is what being a true supporter is all about. Its not about saying how good you are all the time but stating when you aint so good and discussing in open forums like this.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
chelsea will walk it from here , we have really shot ourselves in the foot this time by simply not killing teams off when we were dominating games and then crumbling under pressure .i believe we need a bit of steel in centre midfield to sort out the problem .

·
Registered
590 Posts
Our first 8 away games of this season were/are against the teams who finished 2nd-9th in the Premiership last season. We've performed better after Christmas in almost every season in recent memory. Liverpool and Arsenal I'm sure will have a dip in form, as will more than likely Chelsea at some point in the season.

I can see reasons for being anxious about our current league position and possibly performances, but United will come good again!

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
TheManc said:

Well said TM. We are still in the hunt that is for sure, but I do share some of Ants
concerns, well regarding Chelsea anyway. I really dont see Arse and Pool as
viable threats. They will tail off in the second half of the season.
Chelsea is my worry. Id have them as favourites tbh, with us coming 2nd.

Thats being realistic......although we still have a chance. We just need to up
our game, start talking our chances and get that bit of luck too. We need other
teams to start beating Chelsea......which is why I think they are faves to win the league.

The main factor for me is the games we have played so far. Played other big 3
away, as well as Goodison, Ewood and Fratton Pks.
2nd half of the season will be a lot easier and we traditionally come good then anyway.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I completely agree with this thread. I don't see Chelsea dropping any points soon and we are playing awful at the back and poor up front.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts