Manchester United Talk banner

Chelsea's midfield

827 views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Keano4taoiseach 
#1 ·
Essien, Makelele, Mikel, Deco, Ballack, Lampard. and there's talk about Kaka. That's a lot of options, maybe too many. Assuming that they play 433, what will be the first choice 3 man midfield. I'd say Essien, Lampard and Deco/Ballack, can't really decide. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Essien for sure, as with Ballack, I bet they go 4-5-1 or something to that effect. They're still not going to score any goals unless Drogba stays. In my opinion Joe Cole is the best midfielder they have other than Essien, who may just be the best central midfielder in the world.

#3 ·
Its sick really isnt it? So many quality players....I reckon Maka will be off,
maybe Lampard to. You can see him starting Deco cos he bought him,
and you couldnt leave players like Essien and Ballack out. They are too good.
Its a nice predicament for them to have. Lets hope Drogba leaves and they
dont sign a top striker, cos otherwise they will be there or there abouts again
next season. Definitely are toughest rivals out of the top 4.

#4 ·
I know they're supposedly after Robinho, who sometimes plays as a supporting striker, but is predominately a winger, which is something they probably don't need, apparently he doesn't wanna leave anyway. They have to sell Wright-Phillips too, he's supposed to go to Pompey. Sidwell's gone, my god they have a huuuge squad.

#5 ·
Ah..... you touched on a very nice topic.

I'm lining up a post for the blog on the subject of squad strength, which I'll put up towards the start of the season and Chel$ki are pretty well stocked! ......ok that's an understatement. Basically, their 2nd string could walk into most clubs' first team.

Let's not forget SWP and J.Cole shall we? SWP finally made an impact last season and both are definitely very good players.

Assuming Makalele is leaving and Lampard stays that would leave them with

M Deco
M5 Michael Essien
M8 Frank Lampard
M10 Joe Cole
M15 Florent Malouda
M12 John Mikel Obi
M24 Shaun Wright-Phillips
M13 Michael Ballack

Dogba

Deco

Malouda Essien Lampard SWP

A.Cole Terry Carvallho Bosingwa

Cech​

Subs
Cudicini
Alex
Bridge
J.Cole
Ballack
Shevchenko
Anelka

or he could play Kalou, J.Cole and Ballack in a 4-3-3 and leave out Deco

Dogba

Kalou------------------------J.Cole

Ballack Essien Lampard

A.Cole Terry Carvallho Bosingwa

Cech​

Subs
Cudicini
Alex
Bridge
Malouda
Deco
Shevchenko
Anelka

It's quite sick really. On paper, they appear to have the strongest midfield in the prem and if I may, the strongest squad. With a new manager of Scolari's stature, they will be a major force.

I am hoping that Drog and Lamps leave and that they got replaced by even better players like Kaka. It's going to be a tough, long season.....

Here's our midfield in comparison and it looks pretty good too, but I would like to add that having both Nani and Anderson fit and fighting for the whole season is going to be very, very important for us. They are going to be our main protagonists next season.

Fergie's already hinted that he will "phase out" Giggsy and Scholesy, but they could still come in against lesser teams to give both Nani and Anderson some rest.

It's a squad game, but to me the battle is won or lost in midfield and without Nani and Anderson, we'd be lacking a cutting edge.

M16 Michael Carrick
M4 Owen Hargreaves
M17 Nani
M8 Anderson
M7 Cristiano Ronaldo
M11 Ryan Giggs
M13 Ji-Sung Park
M18 Paul Scholes
M24 Darren Fletcher

#8 ·
put like that fat felipe has no excuses for winning everything, it is an embarrasment of riches .
he will have to go one better than grant to keep his job , and that is to do at least the double .
that is a lot of pressure before a season has started , lets hope he like to tinker with his formations

#12 ·
When you put the 2 midfields up against each other on paper, I have to
say that Chelsea's is better than ours, especialy experience wise....
I still think that our starters can give them a run for their money though,
because we dont know how they will line out and if they will be effective or not.

#13 ·
Redknapp Gives Up On SWP

The Portsmouth manager has spoken widely of his admiration for the Chelsea winger, who has fallen out of favour at Stamford Bridge and has been linked with a move away from West London.

Speaking to the Portsmouth News, Redknapp confessed he would love to bring Wright-Phillips to Fratton Park.

“I could go and buy a good right-winger now, I would do,” he said before adding, “If I had the money, I would buy Shaun Wright-Phillips.”

However, having already spent a reported £9 million on Peter Crouch this summer, finances are an issue on the south coast, a fact Redknapp readily acknowledged. He said: “But that's out of the question now, I haven't got that sort of money.”

Despite having spent big on Crouch, Redknapp has previously been a shrewd operator in the transfer market bringing in players like David James, Sol Campbell and Na****wo Kanu, who many thought were at the end of their careers, and providing them with a second chance.

The Portsmouth manager admitted that he may have to try his old approach yet again as he looks to bolster his squad before the transfer window closes at the end of the month.

Three Kanus Please

“So I'll try to go and find someone like Kanu. Everyone told me he was finished, but I didn't care what anyone else thought,” admitted Redknapp, “Now I'm looking to find another two or three Kanus in different positions, who can come in here and do a job for us.”

Although the Pompey boss's frustrations with the transfer market are evident, he was quick to confess that he had no complaints when it came to finances at Portsmouth and that he had always been given the support he required.

“I've had great backing and I'm happy with the money I've had to spend,” he explained, “The owner can't just keep pumping millions and millions of pounds in. We've got to balance the books.”

The former West Ham man also admitted that he had been disappointed with the recent sale of Pedro Mendes to Rangers but realised that it was a financial decision as much as a footballing one. He admitted: “I had to sell Pedro [Mendes] and I accept that – I'm not upset about it. I didn't want to lose him, but those are the rules of the game. If I don't like it, I shouldn't be at Portsmouth.”

Redknapp finished by revealing how managing a club outside of the top four, and on a limited budget, was a much tougher proposition that many people realised. He concluded: “Clubs like Manchester United and Chelsea don't have to do that – good luck to them. Any mug can go and buy loads of players for £20m or £30m. My missus could go and buy Kaka.”

Goal.com

#14 ·
Nani/Giggs - Anderson - Scholes - Hargreaves/Ronaldo

is as good if not better than any midfield Chelsea field.

The only problem is that Ronaldo and Hargreaves are injured, Nani's suspended and Anderson is/was at the olympics.

If we can keep with Chelsea until we have our first team fit and healthy then I see no reason whatsoever why we can't launch into them when we meet them and show who the Champions are.

Stop worrying about the rent boys ffs. They're an overrated bunch of pretty boys if ever I've seen one. I bet Hargreaves is itching to put in a few nice ones on Deco.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.