Manchester United Talk banner

Chris Eagles.... Now or never?

2K views 56 replies 32 participants last post by  Cappy 
#1 ·
The major highlight of our pre-season thus far has definitely been Eagles, do you reckon hes finally ready to step up (ala Becks had a late start)? or do you think we should cut our losses?

#3 ·
He has more talent than Fletcher and in my opinion just needs a chance, just a sniff, at first team duties to motivate him and build up his confidence.

He will be a more useful player than Fletcher and it sucks that fergie has his favourites.

I know this is not a Flatcher thread, but selling him would give Possebon and Eagles a look in.

I also full-heartedly welcome the possibility to name 7 subs this season, it will really give the youngsters a chance to get more games.

eagles should definitely be moved up to the first team this season.

#5 ·
Eagles had a grea pre-season tour in africa and i think all of you agree with that. In my opinion he should be given a chance because i simply was a amazed of how good his technique is...i mean i new was good but..i think he improoved a lot...in a coule of years Eagles will be the new winger of England you'll see:)and i think he'll be a replacemen in 2..or 3 years for ronaldo if the slave leaves

#7 ·
I would love if he made it to get a permanent place in the first team but I dont think he'll make it. I dont think he have what it takes to stay in the squad. I remember two seasons ago when Eagles got a few games in the run up of the season and even scored. I told a friend of mine that here we got the next of our stars from the youth. The Gaffer said he believed Chris had taken a massive step forward after his loan spell at Watford (I think). But since then....he's still been on loan in Holland and been spending his time in the reserves. He havent really got many nods to play in PL.
I wish Fergie will give Chris a fair chance to make it but I think there's no room for him because of all the players we bought over the years.

Maybe he'll get a his chance now in the start of the season with one in America, one in the Olympics and maybe Nani a but unfit because of his late rest after the Euro Championship adventure.

#8 ·
Possebon for sure should get the nod over Fletcher.

Possebon > Fletcher as far as Iv seen...and iv also watched him in the reserves BUT then again you can't compare reserve teams to epl standards and the same is with preseason so I really want to see Possebon in the first team and I want Fergie to rather use Possebon than when he would use Fletcher.

Eagles also looks really good. Iv been watching him since our last America tour when he played against Bayern and AC Milan and Spector also looked really really good, then again so did Djemba Djemba lmao Eagles did well when he came on against Everton 2 seasons ago and scored and he did play a little beginning of last season like against Spurs when we won 1-0 thanks to Nani's screamer. I think he should definetly play League Cup and should play maybe not ahead of Fletcher but when Fletcher is chosen Eagles should also be chosen. Eagles looks promising and I remember Fergie saying once his aim and accuracy is much better than Beckham's when they were the same age. I think this is the season where he either makes or breaks or else he will just leave like Richardson.

#10 ·
He's been around for quite a while now.

I must say though he's been putting in some quality performances so far in pre-
season.

It will be tough for him, but I think Fergie will utilise more of the younger players
this season becaue they've come on leaps and bounds.

Hope Chris does well because he's been knocking about for a while and he has
the chance he's been waiting for.

#12 ·
I always liked Eagles, he might have a few oppertunities early on in the season with Ronaldo out and Nani suspended..

Nani had a great pre season last year also but was rather dissapointing last season, so I wouldn't read too much into it, I'd like to see Martin and Eagles challenging next year, or playing on loan in the Premiership, for Stoke or Hull or whoever!

#14 ·
give the lad a proper chance this season if it doesnt work out then we can let him go.
at his age he should be playing more regular football its not fair on the lad to keep him in the reserves, i think he needs at least 15 to 20 games in all competitions to show what he can do, a few games here and there is not ideal.

#15 ·
From my home town, he's a super player. He's such a flair player aswell i dont believe he's a natural winger, i think his best position is maybe now a striker and i think Sir Alex is starting to see this in Chris. He has all the ability and when we bought Nani for £17m i was gutted for Chris, i thought to myself is he really that much better than Eagles and i still dont believe he is, i think it's just players from over seas have a stronger mentality and much higher confidence, i really hope Eagles gets his chances in the comming season i cant see how he would let anyone down. Speaking to his Dad a month or so back he says he has developed a really good friendship with Carlos Tevez, and it showed last night when they linked up, they looked really impressive, i agree with a post about the 7subs, this can only help the likes of Eagles, Martin, and Campbell and will encourage them to stick round and be patient for a chance in the first team ... brighter times ahead for Eagles in my opinion, all the best to him.

#16 ·
Tbh, before this pre-season I actually thought he was getting worse.

When he first broke into the team and went out on loan, he looked like he had great potential and looked very talented. Then he scored that wonderful goal against Everton.

But at the beginning of last season, when he got the chance, his performances weren't that brilliant (though, granted, he didn't play THAT much.)

But he has had a brilliant pre-season.

I think this year is his last chance. With Nani suspended, Anderson at the Olympics, Ronaldo injured, he has to impress Sir Alex and if he is given the opportunity, he has to grab it with both hands. If he doesn't make great progress this season, he will and should be sold imo.

But he does deserve the chance to show what he can do.

#19 ·
Drew9 said:
As 004 pointed out theres a lot of space in the squad during the first month and with the 7subs comming into play he will certainly be innvolved in the squads, i dont doubt that at all, lets just hope he can deliever :)
He has got to deliver imo.

Giggs, Nani, Ronaldo, Park and probably Hargreaves are already ahead of him on the wings, so he has got to grab the opportunity, show what he can do and propel himself up the ladder.

If he doesn't, then I guess its time to go next summer.

#20 ·
marty davidson said:
is there 7 subs now on the bench for next season
yes, 7subs instead of 5 next season in the premiership, in la liga and serie A it's been that way for a while i think and this will improve our youngsters and allow them to get more experienced, 004 i do agree he has to deliver but people still have to have an element of patience with him, he's certainly a premiership player if it doesnt work out with us im sure there will still be takers for him.

#21 ·
Drew9 said:
004 i do agree he has to deliver but people still have to have an element of patience with him, he's certainly a premiership player if it doesnt work out with us im sure there will still be takers for him.
I do agree. Theres no doubt in my mind that hes a Premiership player.

However, how long can we wait for is the question. Hes going to be 23 in December, so the potential star tag is beginning to leave him now.

Granted, some players are late developers. But can we really hold onto him for a while and wait to see if he does develop into the player he should?

#22 ·
RedForceRising said:
He has more talent than Fletcher and in my opinion just needs a chance, just a sniff, at first team duties to motivate him and build up his confidence.

He will be a more useful player than Fletcher and it sucks that fergie has his favourites.

I know this is not a Flatcher thread, but selling him would give Possebon and Eagles a look in.

I also full-heartedly welcome the possibility to name 7 subs this season, it will really give the youngsters a chance to get more games.

eagles should definitely be moved up to the first team this season.
No disagree with all of this. Eagles has potential but his final touch is poor. Fletcher is a class act and if this boy stays fit he could be immense this season. Look at games against Arsenal in the cup or the champions league games. Eagles would never be as good as that. Plus Fletch is a more central player than Eagles, who will not get ahead of our 4 current wingers imo.

#24 ·
Eagles a 'cracking' player. don't make me laugh. he's a championship player at best. he has no right to put on that united shirt. the only reason he's there cause sir alex needs home grown talent for the champ league. same with danny simpson, campbell & gibson. if we could make £2-4m for each, i take it in a heartbeat. hewson could be a gud player but some reason sir alex doesn't see it that way. My point is, if eagles plays 20-30 games nxt season we won't win the league.

#25 ·
scott 4 evra said:
Fletcher is a class act and if this boy stays fit he could be immense this season. Look at games against Arsenal in the cup or the champions league games. Eagles would never be as good as that. Plus Fletch is a more central player than Eagles.
I absolutely agree.

Tbh, I'm getting pretty sick of people saying Eagles is more talented and the unfair criticism that Fletcher gets.

Imo, Fletcher is and always will be more important to us than Eagles.

Also, how people can even say Eagles is more talented than Fletcher when they play in different positions is a bit suspect to me.

#26 ·
Nav21 said:
Eagles a 'cracking' player. don't make me laugh. he's a championship player at best. he has no right to put on that united shirt. the only reason he's there cause sir alex needs home grown talent for the champ league. same with danny simpson, campbell & gibson. if we could make £2-4m for each, i take it in a heartbeat. hewson could be a gud player but some reason sir alex doesn't see it that way. My point is, if eagles plays 20-30 games nxt season we won't win the league.
how dare you
fergie plays danny for his talent potential and skill not for being homegrown player :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.