Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
MUT all-time great
Joined
·
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one who thinks he should be banned for life? FFS, he almost killed someone, and if you see the scars on Iain Hume's head, its pretty damn grotesque. Imo, he should be put in jail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,534 Posts
yep..i think he should be banned for life.....vicious sod could do it again,and next time he may well kill someone.....iain hume,will have to live with the scars ....
poor man.............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
jail... :rolleyes:
It was a nasty one alright and I hope the lad who got the fractured skull can
recover and play again. Chris Morgan is an old school type defender and he
got this one very wrong. A hefty ban should suffice (5-8 games) but lifetime ban
and jail???lol Its football, a contact sport and these things happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,001 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Went up for a header, led with his arm/elbow, clattered into yer man, fractured his skull.
Ouch. Was it anything like the one John Fashanu did on Gary Mabbutt?..because that sounds really awful.
 

·
MUT all-time great
Joined
·
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jazz 16 said:
Went up for a header, led with his arm/elbow, clattered into yer man, fractured his skull.
Pardon me Jazz, but are you ****ing crazy?!? He purposely wound up/****ed his arm back and swung his elbow at his head as hard as he possibly could!
 

·
Least popular Moderator
Joined
·
24,837 Posts
He didn't intend to actually kill him though did he? Even if he went in with intent he shouldn't be jailed. He wouldn't be the first player to go in with the intent to hurt the other player (Roy Keane anyone?).

If the guy actually did die then thats different, but he didn't. A ban and a massive dock in wages should suffice IMO.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,336 Posts
TheManc said:
He didn't intend to actually kill him though did he? Even if he went in with intent he shouldn't be jailed. He wouldn't be the first player to go in with the intent to hurt the other player (Roy Keane anyone?).

If the guy actually did die then thats different, but he didn't. A ban and a massive dock in wages should suffice IMO.
Agreed.

3 other examples were Ben Thatcher deliberately elbowing Pedro Mendes, Michael Brown stamping on Giggs and Michael Ball stamping on Ronaldo.

If you start jailing one player when they go in with intent, you'll have to carry it forward, no matter what happens to the player on the receiving end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
Duncan Ferguson was jailed for about 3 months for headbutting McStay during a game.
so there are some earlier precedents...
One of my best mates wrote to him and got a reply and all lol.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
292 Posts
TheManc said:
He didn't intend to actually kill him though did he? Even if he went in with intent he shouldn't be jailed. He wouldn't be the first player to go in with the intent to hurt the other player (Roy Keane anyone?).

If the guy actually did die then thats different, but he didn't. A ban and a massive dock in wages should suffice IMO.
So you think we should wait for someone to be killed before handing out a serious punishment do you? It is only pure good fortune that Iain Hume was not killed, we should deal with these thugs with an iron fist and stamp this violence out of football before we have a real tragedy. I think your opinion would be quite different if Ronaldo or Tevez had been on the reiceving end of Chris Morgan's elbow, Chris Morgan should be banned from football for at least a year and should also be facing assault charges IMHO.
 

·
Least popular Moderator
Joined
·
24,837 Posts
Banana-rama said:
So you think we should wait for someone to be killed before handing out a serious punishment do you? It is only pure good fortune that Iain Hume was not killed, we should deal with these thugs with an iron fist and stamp this violence out of football before we have a real tragedy. I think your opinion would be quite different if Ronaldo or Tevez had been on the reiceving end of Chris Morgan's elbow, Chris Morgan should be banned from football for at least a year and should also be facing assault charges IMHO.
No, the point I'm saying is it was just bad luck on the victims part (don't know his name).

There have been plenty of examples of players deliberately fouling players or deliberately elbowing players - should they all go to jail aswell?

I seem to remember Rooney deliberately elbowing a player in a pre season friendly before the 06/07 season where he was sent off - should he have gone to jail?

You can't just go and arrest someone for a deliberate foul on the football pitch. If it was completely off the ball then thats difference, but the ball was probably there to be won so he thought he nock the other player out of the way with his elbow - Not a good thing to do and he should have been booked/sent off/suspened/whatever. But he shouldn't be sent to prison.

Football isn't a none contact support. There's gonna be fouls - and deliberate ones at that and whether we like to admit or not, our players also do it (Rooney on Calvalho in the WC, Keane vs Haaland, ect)
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Radio 5 Live are reporting that Ian Hume been re-admitted to hospital tonight after suffering an epileptic seizure.

Thoughts go out to him and his family and i wish him a speedy and full recovery.

.
 
Z

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
TheManc said:
I seem to remember Rooney deliberately elbowing a player in a pre season friendly before the 06/07 season where he was sent off - should he have gone to jail?
That wasn't deliberate and it would be stretching the truth to call it an elbow. He had his eyes on the ball all the way and it was a ridiculous decision to send him off.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top