Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone think Man City will really offer a serious challenge to us. Have they potential to do a Chelsea

·
Registered
29 Posts
yes i think so but only if these owners of city stay around long enough to get to the top because its going to take longer then 2 seasons, more like 4-5 if they are really serious about investing, they wont be anywhere near us for a long while

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
It says here ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Dhabi_United_Group ) that the Sheiks that own them are worth E600-800 billion. Yes, billion. That being said, I don't think they'll do a Chelsea. Just because you have more money than God, doesn't mean you wanna pay twice what an actual big club would pay. They are however going to keep improving and improving now, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
734 Posts
i think they could easily break top 4 if their owners stay serious which they prob will, they have big ideas and are willing to spend so why not, we have noting to fear either do chelsea but other teams should be keeping an eye on city.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I don't think City will offer a threat to us this season, but I think they might do in the future. I can see them finishing 5th/6th this season but if the new owners want to put hundred's of millions of pounds into the club over the next two seasons then they may well do a Chelsea and be there or there abouts. But I can't see them being close to us for at least a good few years.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
^Nice post Jd.
City Will not Challenge us this year.
Maybe the'll do it in next Few Years with new investments.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Chelsea aren't even in the top 4 rivals of us.
Argubaly not even in the top 5.

Liverpool will always be the real enemy.

On the pitch, possibly. Won't be this season yet. Need to spend a lot more.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Money alone cannot buy championships.

The fundamentals have to be there: good management, the supreme ability to recognize talent and the capability to mold talent into a team. Do cideh have even these basic fundamentals?

To a great extent, it is easier for managers like Hughes who have been burdened by significant financial restraint. Top ten finishes and a place in Europe every few seasons are considered excellent results for such clubs. The manager is not really under much pressure. Staying in the prem is the main goal.

Now, we will see what cideh are really made of. In any event, they are not chelski pre-roman, not even close. They are at least 3 to 5 years away from competing for silverware that matters, regardless of how much they spend.

And we can't forget that there are lots of examples in all sports where teams have spent a fortune, but got nowhere.

We shall see...

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
It will be a long time before City are a success.

The Robinho signing is a big coup no doubt, but we'll just have to wait and see if he can make it in the Prem, and he only went for one thing. Money!

I think this is going to blow up in their faces. The new owner has said that this is just the start, and they're going to sign a further 18 players.

18 players?!?!? That is seriously unrealistic, and what about the players already there? And I guess he means 18 World Class players yeah? So, how are they going to keep them all happy and how are they going to blend them all together? And of course, thats only if the sign. And if they did sign, the only motivation would be money.

I hope they don't get anywhere near the top 4 either.

But I guess only time will tell.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Funny, if we take care of our business than no matter what happens, we'll be fine. Regardless of what City do, we'll be alright. Just because Al-Citeh have more money than Christ, they still have to gel once they have their "world class" players.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
They could be in the future. We'll just have too wait and see. At the present moment, I am more concerned by Chelsea..and to some extent Arsenal. Liverpool aren't anyone that we need too worry about.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
They are and will always be our 2nd biggest rivals IMO. Behind Liverpool. No other team can, or should overtake them in the rivalry stakes IMO.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think this investment group running City will be a nightmare for Sparky. they will probably go over his head with transfers and buy players that Sparky can't handle.
I read somewhere that they can make upto 250m per day on oil sales alone:eek:

·
Registered
590 Posts
In terms of our rivals for sucess are I would have to say:

Chelsea
Arsenal
Liverpool

But in terms of rivals because of dislike between the clubs and fans I'd say:

Liverpool
City
Leeds

·
Registered
310 Posts
I know Al-Ciddeh could become a bigger power in terms of competing on the pitch but i can also see it not working.

At Chelsea when they started spending the money and Ranieri was manager it didn't work because all these players
arrived at the same time and everybody was trying to find there feet at the same time and Ranieri didn't have the special
ability like great managers have to instill a team spirit and togetherness you need to win.

When Mouriniho came in he had the massive personality that put him above the players and earned him respect from them.
He instilled a team spirit and togetherness that they are still benefiting from.

Does Sparky have his ability to command the dressing room and build a team spirit in a team that no douth will be all new
arivals next season?

Plus at Chelsea there was already a team nucleus of Terry and Lampard that has never changed. City don't have that.
Terry loves Chelsea and is their leader. He would die for the club and he breeds that in the other players. Will City have that?
Richard Dunne is that at the moment and I don't like to say it cause he is Irish but is he good enough to keep his place if City
are going to try bring in every top class CB available to them? Maybe he will but if he doesnt and is shiped out will City have a
man that hasnt just arrived for the pay packet and have passion for the club.

Leagues and Cups are not won on talent alone. Teams need bottle and heart as well and this is something you can not buy!!

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
i think sparky is well capable of handling big name players and creating a good team spirit , he got the best out of an average blackburn team, i know its a different story managing a big spending club and superstar players but sparky has the ability to cope with it.
the only problem i can see for him is how patient the new owners are as has already been mentioned you cant buy instant success a team needs time to settle and mature.
if the owners insist on interfering in team matters such as selections or bringing in players without sparkys consent i can see him walking, he is too proud to put up with that sort of carry on.
city could easily become like real madrid sacking managers every season or buying up all the talent and then factor in some boardroom drama .

they will either be the next superpower or the whole thing could spectacularly implode.
it has been a mental few days in the football world, its never boring.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
piazza said:
Just because you have more money than God, doesn't mean you wanna pay twice what an actual big club would pay.
Never liked that expression. I'm sure if God wanted she/he/it could scrap together a few hundred billion with a snap of his/her/it's fingers.

Or whatever he/she/it has instead of fingers. Thunderclouds? Elephants? Tendrils of light?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts