Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Possible United CL opponents

Who could united possibly face providing we finish top of the group? Or is it any of the 2nd placed teams barring the english teams...

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
If we win the group we will get a second place, non-English team. If not, we'll get a first place, non-English team. I'd really like to win the group, so that we don't get Roma again. Aside from their great form, I'm just so damn tired of playing them and Celtic.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
I hope we get Inter Milan, Real Madrid or Bayern Munich.
It's been a few years since we've played these teams
and they've got as much history as anybody on the corner.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'll go with peejay for hopeful opponents only based on entertainment!! according to my ex's dad, munich is an awsome away trip for fans, anyone been? i'm hoping to go to the next away leg!
as for ease of opponent; sporting??

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
Lyon aren't exceptional, neither are Juventus nowadays
though they're putting good performances in.

But yeah Sporting are the weakest.

Then again, if we finish runners up in our group we could
face Panathinaikos.

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
whoever gets through to final 16 of CL is gonna give you a good run for your money.

the main benefit is that you get to play your 2nd leg at home if you win the group.

i personally think winner is going to come from england again this season. Preferably us but all of the top 4 have been in a CL final over past 3 seasons which is pretty amazing really.

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Lyon are nonsense outside the French League. Juventus seem to be in good form this season and Bayern are always a threat

Lets play madrid or inter. That way if ronaldo screqs up they will be off his back :D

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
antdevil78 said:
whoever gets through to final 16 of CL is gonna give you a good run for your money.

the main benefit is that you get to play your 2nd leg at home if you win the group.

i personally think winner is going to come from england again this season. Preferably us but all of the top 4 have been in a CL final over past 3 seasons which is pretty amazing really.
Agreed. Inter Milan have an excellent squad but they don't dominate small teams like Chelsea, Barça and United are known to do.

Anfield has it's aura and it works, Liverpool can hustle a lot of results in that stadium. I reckon it's between Barça, Liverpool, United, Chelsea and Inter except Barça aren't as organized as the British and Inter aren't as ruthless.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Personally I'd like to see how Mourinho puts his squad against us. After so many fixtures with Chelsea I'd be curious if he plays us as if it were a CL or EPL fixture as far as tactics, aggression, etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
inter have under-performed woefully in the group stage, IMO! if we did get them i think we'd stand a very good chance, unless they stepped it up.. but there many more possible opponents anyways.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
PeeJay said:
Lyon aren't exceptional, neither are Juventus nowadays
though they're putting good performances in.

But yeah Sporting are the weakest.

Then again, if we finish runners up in our group we could
face Panathinaikos.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Like i said on the CL topic, there's 4 groups finished at the moment:
Group A
1º Roma
2º Chelsea

Group B
1º Panathinaikos
2º Inter

Group C
1º Barcelona
2º Sporting

Group D
1º Liverpool
2º Atlético

So if you finish 1st, you can play chelsea, Inter, Atlétic or us.

Group E doesn't enter into it, group F, Lyon play bayern, so they're gonna decide who goes 1st and 2nd, i'd wager bayern going 2nd. group G, i think Porto will beat Arsenal at home, wenger left a lot of 1st team players home, and Porto have a score to settle, after the 4-0 at Emirates, and group H i think Juve will stay top, and real 2nd. so i predict this:

Group E
1º Manchester
2º Villarreal

Group F
1º Lyon
2º Bayern

Group G
1º Porto
2º Arsenal

Group H
1º Juventus
2º Real Madrid

So my take is Manchester gets one of these:
Chelsea
Inter
Atlétic
Sporting
Bayern Munich
Arsenal
Real Madrid

My money's on Real Madrid ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would not love to face real given that they just got a new coach but it would be one hell of a game and if it as exciting as the last time then i would take it albeit with a different result.

Love the way they play merry go round with their coaches when that should be your first point of stability. Should start a thread somewhere on how long Ramos is going to last. :)

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
shanky said:
I would not love to face real given that they just got a new coach but it would be one hell of a game and if it as exciting as the last time then i would take it albeit with a different result.

Love the way they play merry go round with their coaches when that should be your first point of stability. Should start a thread somewhere on how long Ramos is going to last. :)
I'll answer that question after this weekend's Barça-Real game.

If it goes like I think it will, he won't last long...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yeah good guess as the reason why schuster was fired was because he communicated to the board that the team were not in the right mindset to "possibly" win the El Classico and might end up losing. Now that said why would you want to say the truth outloud when the results already show the same.
But thats a discussion for another topic and i am going off topic. Congrats on getting through the group stages.

S

·
0 Posts
Sporting4Ever said:
So my take is Manchester gets one of these:
Chelsea
Inter
Atlétic
Sporting
Bayern Munich
Arsenal
Real Madrid

My money's on Real Madrid ;)
I thought United could not be drawn against another English team at this stage :confused:

I could be wrong and i will stand corrected if so.

Bring on Real Madrid or Bayern Munich for me.
First choice....Munich, just for personal reasons and memories.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
SALFORD RED said:
I thought United could not be drawn against another English team at this stage :confused:

Correct.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
shanky said:
Yeah good guess as the reason why schuster was fired was because he communicated to the board that the team were not in the right mindset to "possibly" win the El Classico and might end up losing. Now that said why would you want to say the truth outloud when the results already show the same.
But thats a discussion for another topic and i am going off topic. Congrats on getting through the group stages.
Well, he's fired because results are lacking, so he was on a thin rope as it was, and you NEVER EVER say in public that your team can't win against a rival.

SALFORD RED said:

You are, of course, correct.
In the last 16 there can't be matches between teams of the same country.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts