Manchester United Talk banner

MOTM - Villareal

CL MD1 - Manchester United Vs. Villareal - All Match Discussion + MOTM Poll

12K views 267 replies 61 participants last post by  Rooneys_Temper 
#1 ·

United kick off their Champions League season at home to Villareal.

Former United player, Diego Forlan will probably feature whilst United's Summer
signing Dimitar Berbatov is looking set for his first Champions League appearance
in a United shirt.

Cristiano Ronaldo is reportadly fully fit and could play a part in the game.

See less See more
#11 ·
Team vs Villareal

I'm just wondering whether we should play a normal 4-4-2 or will Fergie decide to stick with the same unproductive midfield and waste Rooney on the right . Furthermore will Ronny be fit to start or even make the bench. Personally I would drop Rooney and stick Nani on the right and Anderson on the left . Discuss!

#13 ·
--------------Foster(Tomasz)------------

------Brown---Rio---Vidic---Evra-----

Park---Hargreaves---Anderson---Giggs

---------Tevez-----
----------------------Berbatov-------

I honestly think Van Der Sar needs to be dropped. I said previously that he has looked more shaky than usual, but we should keep him. However, hes already cost us 2 goals this season, and looked extremely shaky against Liverpoo. I would prefer Foster, but if he isn't fit enough I would play Tomasz.

Nani has started this season terribly, and he shouldn't be ahead of Park in the pecking order, and I believe we should always play 4-4-2 at home.

I would play Carrick in CM, but there's a massive chance hes going to be injured, so its got to be Hargreaves instead.

As for Rooney, he plays best up front behind the front man, and thats the only place he should play, and Tevez is our most important player atm so its Tevez over Rooney.

#15 ·
--------------Foster(Tomasz)------------

------Brown---Rio---Vidic---Evra-----

Park---Hargreaves---Anderson---Giggs

---------Tevez-----
----------------------Berbatov-------

I honestly think Van Der Sar needs to be dropped. I said previously that he has looked more shaky than usual, but we should keep him. However, hes already cost us 2 goals this season, and looked extremely shaky against Liverpoo. I would prefer Foster, but if he isn't fit enough I would play Tomasz.

Nani has started this season terribly, and he shouldn't be ahead of Park in the pecking order, and I believe we should always play 4-4-2 at home.

I would play Carrick in CM, but there's a massive chance hes going to be injured, so its got to be Hargreaves instead.

As for Rooney, he plays best up front behind the front man, and thats the only place he should play, and Tevez is our most important player atm so its Tevez over Rooney.

Hopefully we play better than we did against Liverpoo, but I seriously wouldn't mind a 1-0 victory.
I'll go for 2-1 United.

#16 ·
---------------VDS--------------

hargreaves ----- RIO----- Vidic ----- Evra

Ronaldo--------Carrick------Scholes ------- Nani

----------------Tevez -------------------------------

------------------- Berbatov-------------------

I would leave ronney and let him back to his normal position when he hits his form again

#17 ·
trikam patel said:

hargreaves ----- RIO----- Vidic ----- Evra

Ronaldo--------Carrick------Scholes ------- Nani

I would leave ronney and let him back to his normal position when he hits his form again
Scholes is suspended.

Carrick may be injured.

Where's Wes?

#19 ·
i dont know stephen about wes, i like to see what hargro can do as a right back. I think hargro has a lot of stamina to get up and get crosses in and get back to defend, i dont kniw about his defensive qualities. He used to play there for bayern, i just like to see hargro play there.

wes ----- RIO----- Vidic ----- Evra

Ronaldo--------hargreaves ------Scholes ------- Nani

#21 ·
Ex-Red Giuseppe Rossi is looking forward to a 'special' return to Old Trafford on Wednesday night with Villarreal.

The former United striker spent three years at Old Trafford, netting four goals in 13 appearances for the first team and countless others for the Reserves.

A lack of first team opportunities and the arrival of Carlos Tevez in the summer of 2007 prompted the Italian's switch to Spain, where he excelled in his debut season, scoring 11 goals in 27 appearances.

Despite having struggled with a recent knock, Rossi is desperate to play some part in the Champions League Group E clash against his former team-mates.

"I’m hopeful I can feature,” he told EFE. “I feel good and I’m slowly recovering my best form.

"The game against United will be a great encounter against the best team in the world and for me it’s going to be special having played there.

“All the players at Villarreal can’t wait to play such a game.”

#22 ·
Carrick to miss Villareal

Carrick set to miss out

Michael Carrick is likely to miss Wednesday's Champions League clash with Villarreal after injuring his right ankle at Anfield.

The midfielder was hurt in a tackle with Yossi Benayoun in the first half of the 2-1 defeat to Liverpool and was substituted at half-time. He reappeared in the United dug-out after the break on crutches and with his right foot in a cast.

Sir Alex confirmed that nothing is broken, but said further assessments on the player's ankle would continue over the weekend.

"It's not serious. We've had an X-ray and nothing is broken," the manager told MUTV.

"There was a hard tackle on him and we'll probably have a better assessment over the weekend, but I don't think he'll be ready for Wednesday."

United are already without the suspended Paul Scholes for the Group E opener against the Spaniards, but Cristiano Ronaldo may feature after making a quicker-than-expected recovery from ankle surgery.

#23 ·
Bad news.

Hes an important player for us, as proved when he doesn't play.

Add to that we are already missing Scholes.

Obviously, Hargreaves and Anderson are fantastic place. But I think Carrick should be first name in midfield.

I'm not overly worried, but I would rather have him than not.

#26 ·
sadly because of work i never saw the game, but i listened to it on the radio and the commentators could not believe how long an obviously injured carrick was left on the pitch it seemed about 20 minutes.its certain carrick has caused far more damage to himself than if he was substituted when it happened ,very bad decision by utd to top a very bad day all round.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.