·
Registered
934 Posts
my team would be

PIG
Rafael - Rio - Vidic - Evra
Ronaldo - Anderson - Hargreaves - Nani
Rooney - Berbatov

Subs: VDS, Brown, Evans, Giggs, Scholes, Mancuho, Tevez (only cause he is playing well and Berba and Rooney need games)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
My line up:

-----------------------------VDS-------------------------------

Brown-------------Rio------------Vida---------------Evra---

Ronaldo--------------Fletcher-------Scholes-------------Nani---

------------------Rooney---------Berba--------------------

The last thing i want us to do is to underestimate Aalborg especially on a Champions League match..Lesson learned the last time i did, so i rather keep our youngster for the carling cup for now and used mainly the more experience players. I expect Aalborg to play defensively so if anything this is the time for us to try and break their defence. Berbatov is coming good the last time so i think he deserved his CL debut and alonside Rooney who hopefully might be boosted by the goal he scored last weekend.

I purposely like to start Nani alongside Ronaldo cause i notice he more often play well with Ronny at the other end. :p All in all i dont expect an easy win but a victory is for sure..

·
Registered
35 Posts
i think united need to thrash **** teams like dis, not that im under estimating but in comparison to united. we were able to put 7 past roma, so i think a nice confidence booster will do us well considering we have barely been able to get the ball in the back of the net.

My line up would be:

VDS

Brown Vidic Rio Evra

Hargo Ando

Ronaldo Rooney

Tevez Berbatov

a nice decent thrashing in the first half, and den youngsters like rafael can havea go at slotting a couple also.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
after the display agaisnt villareal which was all effort with the cutting edge lacking i'm expecting a full strength side to go out and bag the points here 2 nil again just like i predicted for bolton on saturday...c'mon you lads in blue!!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Manchester United: Van der Sar, Amos, Rafael, Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans, Evra, O'Shea, Fletcher, Ronaldo, Anderson, Scholes, Park, Giggs, Nani, Gibson, Berbatov, Tevez, Rooney, Welbeck.

Neville and Hagreaves missing.
Hargreaves is struggling with a knee injury that has troubled him since his arrival from Bayern Munich last season, and has been left at home for further treatment. However, Neville's absence is less obvious. The club have not confirmed the reason behind Neville's absence, however, he has only just returned to action after almost 18 months on the sidelines following major ankle surgery.

·
23,699 Posts
Reuters

MANCHESTER, Sept 29 (Reuters) - Holders Manchester United are likely to give striker Dimitar Berbatov a Champions League debut and also have midfielder Paul Scholes back from suspension when they look for a first Group E win at Aalborg on Tuesday.

Scholes missed United's opening 0-0 draw with Villarreal following his sending off in last month's European Super Cup final while recent signing Berbatov was absent with a knee injury.

However England pair Gary Neville and Owen Hargreaves, who has suffered a recurrence of his knee problem, have been ruled out through injury and have not made the trip to Denmark.

Midfielder Michael Carrick (ankle) and goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak (groin) are also missing from Alex Ferguson's squad as he looks to win at Aalborg to ease the pressure for the latter group stage matches.

“Having dropped two points in our first game it is important we get it right against Aalborg. Going to Villarreal for a win will be very difficult and the last thing we need is to be going to Parkhead (Celtic) needing three points to go through,†Ferguson told reporters.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/european_football/article4846346.ece

Owen Hargreaves and Gary Neville have been left out of the Manchester United squad for Tuesday's Champions League clash with Aalborg.

Hargreaves is struggling with a knee injury that has troubled him since his arrival from Bayern Munich last season, and has been left at home for further treatment. However, Neville's absence is less obvious. The club have not confirmed the reason behind Neville's absence, however, he has only just returned to action after almost 18 months on the sidelines following major ankle surgery.

Otherwise, Ferguson has a full strength squad to pick from, as United look to kick-start their defence of the trophy, with Dimitar Berbatov, Carlos Tevez, Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney vying for a place in attack.

Manchester United (from): Van der Sar, Amos, Rafael, Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans, Evra, O'Shea, Fletcher, Ronaldo, Anderson, Scholes, Park, Giggs, Nani, Gibson, Berbatov, Tevez, Rooney, Welbeck.

Berbatov and Scholes in frame for Aalborg trip
http://football.uk.reuters.com/cham...D-ACB3-C158A0527F83.php?rpc=401&&refresh=true

MANCHESTER, Sept 29 (Reuters) - Holders Manchester United are likely to give striker Dimitar Berbatov a Champions League debut and also have midfielder Paul Scholes back from suspension when they look for a first Group E win at Aalborg on Tuesday.

Scholes missed United's opening 0-0 draw with Villarreal following his sending off in last month's European Super Cup final while recent signing Berbatov was absent with a knee injury.

However England pair Gary Neville and Owen Hargreaves, who has suffered a recurrence of his knee problem, have been ruled out through injury and have not made the trip to Denmark.

Midfielder Michael Carrick (ankle) and goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak (groin) are also missing from Alex Ferguson's squad as he looks to win at Aalborg to ease the pressure for the latter group stage matches.

“Having dropped two points in our first game it is important we get it right against Aalborg. Going to Villarreal for a win will be very difficult and the last thing we need is to be going to Parkhead (Celtic) needing three points to go through,†Ferguson told reporters.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Fergie will be more conservative and may drop players for this encounter. I would prefer he start with a strong attacking 4-4-2; get 3 by half time, if possible, then ring the changes. I take nothing away from the home team, they got where they are by playing football. In European competition underestimation of opponents can cause real time grief. (I bet Arsenal never underestimate Hull again!!! hahaha!). I can see Rafael starting, and Evans possibly, with Berbatov and Tevez up front. I hope its the same team that finished at Bolton but I doubt it.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
manutd.com said:
How did Aalborg qualify?
Aalborg qualified for the Champions League for a second time – a record for a
Danish side – by winning the Superliga last season, the third title in the club’s 106
-year history. Bruce Rioch’s side finished nine points clear of second-place FC
Midtylland, the team that nearly knocked Manchester City out of the UEFA Cup,
and 11 ahead of FC Copenhagen, United’s CL opponents in 2006/07. They made
it through to the group stages by virtue of a 7-1 aggregate win against Bosnians
FC Modrica – a convincing 5-0 win in the home leg made the second leg a
formality – and a third qualifying round victory over FBK Kaunas, the Lithuanian
side who humbled Rangers in the previous round. The Danes won the first leg 2-0
on their home patch, and repeated the scoreline in the Lithuanian capital. Kaunas
didn’t help their cause by having two players sent off as they chased the tie in
the second leg.

Are they any good in Europe?
Aalborg are the first Danish side to enjoy a second bite of the Champions League
cherry, having previously made it through to the European top table in 1995/96.
It proved to be a baptism of fire, as they lost their first five matches against
Dynamo Kiev, Porto and Nantes before earning their first ever CL point with a 2-2
draw against the Portuguese champions. The Danes have had recent European
experience, though. They won one only game in last year’s UEFA Cup group
stage, but gave Spurs a huge fright at ‘The Lane’ by taking a two-goal advantage
before losing 3-2.

Who's their main man on the pitch?
Andreas Johansson has the dubious honour of being the last player
to be sent off at Highbury… and that was without touching the ball after coming
on as a substitute for Wigan! An attacking midfielder, Johansson wasn’t a hit with
everyone at the JJB Stadium and scored just four goals in 29 games, but he’s
proved a handful for Danish defences since arriving last summer. Most dangerous
when given time to create, Johansson is also a handy ball-winner in the centre of
the park. He enjoyed his best spell as a player in his native Sweden with
Djurgardens, where he won two titles and a Swedish Cup.

Who's their gaffer?
A familar face... Bruce Rioch. The former Arsenal and Bolton manager
(to name just a couple) took over the reins at AaB in July after Erik Hamren
switched Scandinavian allegiances to join Norway’s Rosenborg BK. But what’s
Bruce doing in Denmark? Well, it’s not his first stint in the country – he was in
charge at Odense for 20 months until his wife’s illness forced him to resign in
March 2007. While there he enjoyed a win over Hibernian in the third round of the
Intertoto Cup in 2006.

And the skipper?
American defender Danny Califf led Aalborg to their first Danish title in nine years.
But he subsequently signed for FC Midtjylland, leaving the captain’s armband
behind for Thomas Augustinussen. A striker in his formative years,
Augustinussen has real aerial presence (he stands 6’ 4” tall) and scored five
goals in his 20 games for Denmark’s Under-21 team. He has since dropped back
into central midfield where he’s proved the perfect fit… unlike his name on the
back of Aalborg’s shirts!

How many punters do they pull in?
It’s fair to say AaB don’t have the same global appeal of United. In fact, the
Danish champions’ official supporters club only boasts about 3,000 members. That
said, you can bet they’ll be in full voice when United come to town… no doubt
fuelled by the local schnapps (or akvavit), rumoured to be the best in the land.
Just 6,000 fans witnessed the side qualify for the Champions League group
stages and they averaged 8,945 last season, making them only the sixth best
supported team in Denmark. The team didn’t seem to mind - they lost only one
home game, a 3-2 ding-dong against Odensk Boldklub.

Where do we find them?
Bruce Rioch’s side play their home games at the Energi Nord Arena. Reports that
the atmosphere is always electric are unconfirmed, although on its website the
club proudly boasts a floodlight strength of 1,200 lux. Very illuminating. Anyway,
the ground can only hold 10,500 for European games, so expect cosy rather than
colossal. Built in 1920, it was completely overhauled in 1960 and then given
another major upgrade in 2002.

And reports are that both Neville and Hargreaves have not travelled
with the squad to Denmark...

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Boss: We'll show respect

Sir Alex Ferguson insists he has learned the Champions League lessons of Copenhagen as United prepare to take on another unfancied Danish team in the shape of Aalborg BK.

Two years ago an under-strength Reds squad travelled to FC Copenhagen in control of Group F and needing only a point to qualify for the knockout stages.

But United put in a lacklustre performance to lose 1-0 and, after a further defeat to Celtic, were forced to beat Benfica in the final game to progress.

It's a situation Ferguson is determined to avoid this time around, and that means fielding his strongest team in the Energi Nord Arena on Tuesday.

"The most important thing is that Aalborg get our respect," the Reds boss told the pre-match press conference on Monday.

"They are a small club, with only 10,000 fans, but we must make sure we don’t fall into any traps and play to our best level.

"Two years ago we made a mistake in picking our team against Copenhagen because we were in a comfortable position in the group, and we ended up scrapping away for qualification, so we’ll definitely field our strongest team this time."

Aalborg claimed a creditable goalless draw away at Celtic in their opening Champions League game, and Ferguson admits he was impressed by the
Danes' work ethic and compact gameplan which frustrated their Scottish opponents.

But the United manager warned that after an identical result against Villarreal at Old Trafford on Matchday 1, his side are much better prepared to claim a first win of their Champions League defence on Tuesday.

"Aalborg are a small club who have reached the Champions League, which is an enormous achievement in itself," Ferguson continued.

"Then the result they got in the first game was fantastic, given Celtic’s outstanding home record in the Champions League.

"One defeat for Celtic in all those years is a measure of how important that result was for Aalborg, so it makes it interesting for us.

"But Villarreal got us at a good time, when we were still advancing towards our best form, and I think we’re in much better shape now.

"The players realise how important qualifying for the next stage is. The competition kicks off properly at the end of February, and if we get to that stage, then we’ve as good a chance as anyone.

"We have a difficult game on Tuesday because they will be well motivated and will have fantastic support, so we have to handle these things and hopefully get the right result."

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={F9E570E6-407E-44BC-800F-4A3110258114}&newsid=6619437&page=1

·
Registered
135 Posts
Aalborg is gonna give one hella of an effort to try and beat Manchester United. SAF has learned not to underestimate the opposing teams. I would prefer Berbatov, Rooney, and Tevez on the front line to score some early goals so that they can relax near the end.

G

·
Ferguson wary of upset in Denmark

Ferguson says his side are expecting a tough battle against Aalborg
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson will play all his big-name stars in Tuesday's Champions League Group E trip to play AaB Aalborg.

Ferguson rested players for his side's last visit to Denmark, in 2006, and saw a weakened side lose to FC Copenhagen.

The United boss said: "I don't have any fears about complacency with this side.

"But we made a mistake with the team against Copenhagen and ended up scrapping to qualify. This time I will play my strongest team."

They are playing Manchester United, they will have a sell-out crowd and the whole town will be up for it

That means Cristiano Ronaldo, Paul Scholes, Wayne Rooney and Dimitar Berbatov are all likely to feature.

Having drawn their opening game against Villarreal at Old Trafford a fortnight ago, Ferguson knows United cannot afford another slip-up if they are to progress from a tricky group that also includes Celtic.

"The players know how important qualifying is," he added.

"Having dropped two points in our first game it is important we get it right against Aalborg.

"Going to Villarreal for a win will be very difficult and the last thing we need is to be going to Parkhead needing three points to go through.

"We need to get to February because that is when the tournament really takes off.

And Ferguson is not taking anything for granted ahead of his side's visit to the compact 10,500-capacity Aalborg Stadion.

"Aalborg were lucky to get a draw at Celtic but they will be at home and my old mate Bruce Rioch will have them fired up," said Ferguson.

"They are playing Manchester United, they will have a sell-out crowd and the whole town will be up for it. Danish clubs are always battlers."

Source BBC Sports.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Saganowski Takes Aim At United
http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=888546

Aalborg striker Marek Saganowski is eager to prove himself against some of the best players in Europe when he faces Manchester United in this evening...

“Playing against Manchester United is a dream come true,†Saganowski said in The Sun.

“I came to Aalborg because they were in the Champions League and this will be one of the biggest matches of my career.â€

Aalborg come into tonight's Champions League clash after securing a creditable draw against Celtic in their opening fixture of Group E.

The Danish champions are hoping to replicate the feats of their rivals Copenhagen, who inflicted a humiliating defeat upon United two years ago.

And Saganowski, who is on-loan from Southampton after failing to fire last term, is confident of breaching what is perhaps the most formidable defence in England.

“United are a fantastic team with some unbelievable players but I believe we can win and I can score against them,†added the Polish international.

“I did not get many goals last season but this is a fresh start for me and I have faith in my ability even against people like Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic.â€

Kieran Quentin

·
Registered
199 Posts
I cant see us doing any better than 1-0 or 2-0 tonight. To go to Parkhead and draw with Celtic says it all about this team if you ask me.
But saying that I reckon we'll have the class to beat them. Berbatov to get his first goal hopefully :D

21 - 40 of 207 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.