• Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Battle Of Britain!

Notes;
  • United and Celtic face each other for the 2nd time in 3 seasons in the group stages
  • Celtic are without Jan Venegoor of Hessilink, who scored on his last visit to Old Trafford
  • United are without Ben Foster, Paul Scholes and Rodrigo Possebon, whilst Carrick and Hargreaves are doubtful for the game
  • United are unbeaten so far this season in the competition
  • Celtic must win this game otherwise their participation in the competition after Christmas could be over already
Group E.....................Pld........Pts
Man United................2..........4
Villarreal.....................2..........4
Celtic..........................2..........1
Aalborg BK.................2...........1

Form;

Manchester United are currently unbeaten in this seasons Champions League. A
draw at home to Villareal and an impressive away display at Aalborg. The holders
appear to be clicking into gear both in England and in Europe at this moment in
time.

Celtic have made a less then impressive start to their seasons European
campaign only managing a scoreless draw at home to Alaborg and loosing away
in Spain to Villareal. They have to salvage some sort of result from Old Trafford
otherwise, they could be having a European fixture free season after Christmas

Previous Results;

At Old Trafford ('06/'07) - Manchester United 3-2 Celtic
At Celtic Park ('06/'07) - Celtic 1-0 Manchester United

Key Players;

Manchester United - Wayne Rooney is on red hot form of late for club and
country. Celtic will have to keep tight to the striker otherwise he could damage
their belief drastically. Rooney netted in Aalborg but was subbed later due to a
minor injury.

Celtic - Georgios Samaras has found the net 10 times this season and the
former City man will love to make his mark at Old Trafford. United's defence will
have to be on top form to make sure that the hit man gets as little space as
possible

Keano's Line-Up;

.................................................Van Der Sar.................................................
...Neville....................Ferdinand.....................Vidic..............................Evra...
...Ronaldo..................Fletcher.........................Giggs..........................Nani...
...........................................Rooney...............................................................
.........................................................Berbatov...............................................

Keano's Verdict

2-0 Home Win

Z

·
0 Posts
Let's hope we can carry the momentum we're gathering into this game. Rooney is on fire at the moment, almost unplayable and I expect he'll be keen to continue his goalscoring form in all competitions. Our midfield is looking depleted at the moment so hopefully we'll see the return of either Michael Carrick or Owen Hargreaves.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Lets beat the bhoys :D

Van Der Sar

Brown Ferdinand Vidic O'Shea

Ronaldo Anderson Fletcher Giggs

........Berbatov
Rooney​

i predict

2-1

Rooney
Rooney Samaras​

Players to Watch

Rooney : hes on top form, the World cup qualifiers top goalscorer with 5, our top goalscorer with 4 goals and 3 three assists, it looks like a Red October that Rooney had last year by scoring 9 goals in 8 matches, McManus and Caldwell will have to watch out the pacy forward who could easily pace the back four out

Ronaldo

McGeady : Celtics fan favourite and their best player last season is a hard job for Wesley who if he can mark him well would make Celtic much weaker

Samaras 10 goals in 11 match awesome mark man, but good news hhhhhhhheeeesssss injurrrrrrreeeed yyyeaaaaahhhh :D http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7677755.stm

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
we should win comfortably at home --- parkhead will be another kettle of fish entirely . celtic are my number 2 team -- fans are gents and club stand for everything good in the game . i will say nothing more other than i liked every celtic fan i ever met

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Celtic are awful away from home aren't they ? So I'd expect it to be rather comfortable, as long as we play like we did in the 2nd half today.

I'd go for pretty much the same line up, but i would love to see Carrick or Anderson back.

VDS

Brown Rio Vida Evra

Ronaldo Anderson Giggs Nani

Rooney
Tevez/Berba

Prediction: 2-0 United :p

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
Scholes is injured until mid-december keano.

My team:

Van der Sar
Neville Ferdinand Vidic O'Shea
Ronaldo Fletcher Anderson Nani
.........Berbatov Rooney

Fergies team:

Van der Sar
Brown Ferdinand Vidic O'Shea
Nani Fletcher Anderson Park
.........Berbatov Rooney

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
haggler said:
celtic are my number 2 team -- fans are gents and club stand for everything good in the game .
So, in your opinion, Sectarianism is good?

Anyway, I hope we crush Celtic. I hate the Old Firm. Sectarianism and religion have no part in football.

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
piazza said:
So, in your opinion, Sectarianism is good?

Anyway, I hope we crush Celtic. I hate the Old Firm. Sectarianism and religion have no part in football.
why is it when celtic are mentioned you bring religion into it?
there are plenty of celtic supporting utd fans on here and they dont bring religion into it.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
thekeanefella said:
why is it when celtic are mentioned you bring religion into it?
there are plenty of celtic supporting utd fans on here and they dont bring religion into it.
Clearly because I let my hate for religion blind me from making any rational post on the Old Firm.:) I dunno, I just hate Celtic. But I will admit, I love their kits. Always have, always will.

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
piazza said:
Clearly because I let my hate for religion blind me from making any rational post on the Old Firm.:) I dunno, I just hate Celtic. But I will admit, I love their kits. Always have, always will.
its ok to hate celtic.
but its not all about religion, i have been to see celtic a number of times over the years and i can honestly say i have never had any negative experiences.
the derby games can be fairly vicious, but worldwide derby games tend to be fairly intense , just look at the milan derby or some of the games in turkey or argentina they can be ferocious, people have been murdered at these games, or go to rome for a game as a visiting fan and you might just get stabbed or if your really lucky you might get your head kicked in.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
thekeanefella said:
its ok to hate celtic.
but its not all about religion, i have been to see celtic a number of times over the years and i can honestly say i have never had any negative experiences.
the derby games can be fairly vicious, but worldwide derby games tend to be fairly intense , just look at the milan derby or some of the games in turkey or argentina they can be ferocious, people have been murdered at these games, or go to rome for a game as a visiting fan and you might just get stabbed or if your really lucky you might get your head kicked in.
I let my passion blind me. I just can't stand sectarianism whatsoever. I love these derbies (not when people are getting hurt of course), because the original reason people support these clubs isn't about something as trivial as religion. It'd be as if Chelsea was supported by whites and Fulham was supported by blacks and immigrants. At least to me anyway.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
haggler said:
we should win comfortably at home --- parkhead will be another kettle of fish entirely . celtic are my number 2 team -- fans are gents and club stand for everything good in the game . i will say nothing more other than i liked every celtic fan i ever met
Well i hope they are i have got a ticket for the away leg as well and have booked my flight.
I hope carrick is back for the home leg we have missed his passing badly , i am not holding my breath for hargreaves he is always on the verge and never makes it

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Injury Crisis for Celtic Ahead Of United Clash

Glasgow Celtic are facing major injury concerns ahead of Tuesday's Champions League clash against Manchester United.

The English and Scottish champions will meet at Old Trafford with Celtic in desperate need of a win after picking up just one point from their first two fixtures.

But with the task already extremely difficult against last season's winners, the Bhoys' chances have been reduced further with up to six names on the club's injury list.

Georgios Samaras will undergo surgery on a knee injury today after aggravating an injury he suffered for Greece last midweek. In addition to the top goalscorer, Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink and Chris Killen are also strikers who remain out.

Key central defender Gary Caldwell suffered a deep gash in his foot during yesterday's 2-1 Scottish Premier League victory against Inverness Caledonian Thistle and as such is rated doubtful for the fixture.

First choice right-back Andreas Hinkel and midfield starlet Marc Crosas are also unlikely to be fit, while Scott McDonald may make it, but it struggling to attain full match fitness.

Club manager Gordon Strachan was understandably concerned by the injuries.

"These are not laughter lines on my face - it's hugely disappointing,†he told the Sunday Mail newspaper.

"It's not just Georgios and Jan because we've lost Chris Killen as well. So we are without physical strikers who give you lots of options,†added Strachan.

"You want the physique in your side plus the speed and ability. Our speed and ability are OK but the physical side is now a problem."

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=919932

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Tevez and Ando in contention

Sir Alex Ferguson could recall Carlos Tevez and Anderson for Tuesday night's Champions League clash against Celtic after the South American duo were rested at the weekend.
http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={F9E570E6-407E-44BC-800F-4A3110258114}&newsid=6620761

The Reds boss had enough faith in the strength of his squad to leave Tevez and Anderson out of the 4-0 win over West Brom, after they had played for Argentina and Brazil respectively in midweek.

"Anderson only returned on Saturday morning and Tevez didn't get in until late afternoon on Friday, so we didn't consider them," Ferguson revealed.

"We have a squad which should be able to cope with the number of games we are facing, and we have enough exeprience in different positions."

Patrice Evra is a doubt for the visit of Gordon Strachan's side after being forced off in the first half of Saturday's game. If the French left-back fails to recover in time he may be replaced by John O'Shea, who deputised admirably against the Baggies.

Ferguson added: "Evra had a tight hamstring so we took the precaution of taking him off - it wasn't worth keeping him on any longer. But John O'Shea always does a great job for us."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Howdy lads,

Celtic fan here, Got my ticket for OT tomorrow night and I can't wait. I have never been before so hopefully I will enjoy the experience. I can't really expect any sort of result tomorrow as we don't even have a full strength squad and the game is away:(.

Just wondering if anyone can give me any good suggestions on where and where not to go. Don't want to find myself wandering into a die hard Man Utd pub:p.

Cheers in advance

1 - 20 of 136 Posts