Manchester United Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
We're playing shite at the moment. No rhythm, no direction. Just pinging the ball in for Saha who's been isolated and pretty poor. We're lacking the quality of the final ball at the moment. Kuszczak's made a howler, hopefully he'll not be dented by it.

We need Giggs now, and we need a hair-dryer treatment from Fergie.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just what the doctor ordered. Not a great performance, but a vital win that seals Group F. I was very unhappy with Saha today. He got his chance, but looked very unimpressive at times and was giving away possession cheaply. Carrick had a very indifferent game as well.

Well done Ronaldo and Giggs, who along with Tevez freshened things up. Anderson had another brilliant game, he's certainly looked quite superb so far.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
That was a nail-biter. Almost reminded me of 1999... Anyway, excellent free kick from Ronaldo, and I think Tevez's goal might have been knocked in off the Sporting defender. Honestly, Saha should go. He didn't look like he was part of the team really. To me, he was just... There, running about. Fortunately or unfortunately he might not leave in January because he is cup tied, so he should get some time to redeem himself.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The last two games are not uniteds style at all. no poss in mid- field ,no triangular
from mid to cback. whoever gave the keepers the a ok on long ball to saha has been drinking on the job. i was glad to see tevez and giggs bring the tempo up.
i cant say that i know where the problems lie , but i would bet that carricks predictable movements have a lot to do with it. overall im happy with the win ,but im disappointed that we are losing our momentum that has been established after our goal drought.thank god rooney is coming back, he'll get them pumped!!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
It wasn't the greatest of matches, but i'll take it. Despite that wonderful free-kick he scored, he only seems to score them once in-a-blue-moon, and last night was the blue moon :) I'm proud of him though. Top scorer in the Champions League. Already half-way there on Kaka's total last season.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Carlos Tevez

Thought he was brilliant when he came on yesterday, he's been very good for us so far but I think that performance changed the game for us in the 2nd half and the goal will be massive for him, confidence will keep growing and we'll soon see the world class apache from his Boca Juniors days. I expect him to get on a real run now of goalscoring form and with Fulham and Derby the next 2 games and both at Old Trafford it's very likely.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
I am not so sure Tevez didn't mean it, watch the way he turns his foot. It meant a lot for Ronaldo to score last night, thats twice he has stung his old team.

Did anyone see the mouse on the pitch last night? It was picked up on the camera's.

Good win for United, I thought we were going to blow it. Now, this makes the roma game academic, as we have the group in the pocket. I can see United Reserves/Youth playing in this one, I just hope it does not see a reverse of the 7-1 last season, Roma will certainly try for it just to put it on the record books.

2007: Biggest defeat. 27-0 for Roma against Manchester United. It will not say it was our kids playing!!! 1-0 or 2-0 I can live with, but nothing else.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Tevez tipped the balance

Tevez tipped the balance

Carlos Tevez came off the bench to save United's 100 per cent Champions League record on Tuesday night, to the relief of his manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

The Reds were heading towards defeat and therefore a difficult final group match in Rome until the Argentine striker entered the fray as a half-time substitute. Ryan Giggs also came on to help turn the tide against a Sporting Lisbon side fighting to stay in the competition.

"The substitutes brought better impetus, better rhythm and more speed to our game and we looked more like ourselves," Sir Alex told MUTV.

"I think Tevez made the difference. Ryan’s experience helps of course, and he showed great confidence and composure on the ball. But Tevez was the one who kept running at them, turning them and moving all the time. He became a handful for them."

Cristiano Ronaldo was also a handful against his former club - but only after Tevez and Giggs joined him on the pitch. The first half was forgettable for all those in red as Sporting took a shock lead through Abel's stunning shot from a crossing position on the right wing.

"If you don’t exert your influence at home in Europe then you can leave yourself open to embarrassment," said Sir Alex.

"The goal we lost was a bit bizarre - I think it was bad defending by us - and I think it gave them a real foot in the game. I just felt there was no impetus in our game, our possession of the ball wasn’t great and I felt I needed to make changes at half-time."

By full-time, United had the maximum 15 points from five matches thanks to Cristiano Ronaldo's glorious free kick goal. Without it, the Reds would have needed to avoid defeat by two goals in Rome in order to keep top spot in Group F and a favourable seeding in the last 16 draw.

"If (we had drawn and) Roma had beaten us 2-0 over there, they would have won the group and we couldn’t afford that.

"Cristiano’s strike in the third minute of injury time was very welcome and a fantastic hit. He’s done it time and time again. But he shows great respect to his old club (Sporting Lisbon) and quite rightly too because he was brought up by them since he was a little kid. He owes them a lot."

After the toothless defeat at Bolton, things are looking up again on United's attacking front. Sir Alex is backing Ronaldo to beat his goals tally of last season - "He’s got all the ammunition to be a top goal scorer" - and looking forward to welcoming back Wayne Rooney at home to Fulham next Monday.

Source manutd.com

Moved from united chat, not separate subject

·
Registered
133 Posts
Damned what a game! First half was really bad, admit it fans- Fletch and Carrick are totally out of form.They are slow,their passes can be read from newcomers in football.Also 4-3-3 isn't convinient system without Rooney and Tevez upfront. It seemed that Carrick,Fletch and Anderson stand each other in the way.Saha was disappointing,he just gave away too many passes,he didn't fight in duels and his chance...embarrassing how he treated the ball.What the hell was he thinking?! Ok Sporting defenders are also fantastic, but still he should play better. Second part was much much greater. Man U moved to 4-4-2 with Ronaldo heading back where he
belongs.His capability of moving the ball from back up to front is unbelievable.And yet again he saved us..Good boy.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
unitedred said:
Thought he was brilliant when he came on yesterday, he's been very good for us so far but I think that performance changed the game for us in the 2nd half and the goal will be massive for him, confidence will keep growing and we'll soon see the world class apache from his Boca Juniors days. I expect him to get on a real run now of goalscoring form and with Fulham and Derby the next 2 games and both at Old Trafford it's very likely.
Agreed Tevez made a huge difference when he came on. Afterwards they slowed the replay down for Tevez' goal and it actually hit the defender and nut megged Tevez lol. Im sure he will claim it anyway.:)

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
amer11 said:
Damned what a game! First half was really bad, admit it fans- Fletch and Carrick are totally out of form.They are slow,their passes can be read from newcomers in football. Also 4-3-3 isn't convinient system without Rooney and Tevez upfront. It seemed that Carrick,Fletch and Anderson stand each other in the way. Saha was disappointing,he just gave away too many passes,he didn't fight in duels and his chance...embarrassing how he treated the ball. What the hell was he thinking?! Ok Sporting defenders are also fantastic, but still he should play better. Second part was much much greater. Man U moved to 4-4-2 with Ronaldo heading back where he belongs. His capability of moving the ball from back up to front is unbelievable. And yet again he saved us..Good boy.
you have to remember Fletcher had two really grueling weeks with the Scotland team, it must have really drained him ;) Not important but, its Man Utd, not Man U! :mad: As for the Tevez goal, he turns his foot, it looked to me to be deliberate. If it was it was class!!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.