Manchester United Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
our next opponent in the road to final is barcelona..barca has now enough internal problems but our team should be very carefull and do not underestimate them..

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
how could anyone ever underestimate barcelona:eek: i am very worried about this game but also very excited...i think we will just about get through over the two legs and i thinkt he key man will be that scouser who plays up top;)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
a bit early for this, still 2 weeks to go. but matches between these two teams would definitely be the match of the season across the whole europe.

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Toybos said:
how could anyone ever underestimate barcelona:eek: i am very worried about this game but also very excited...i think we will just about get through over the two legs and i thinkt he key man will be that scouser who plays up top;)

What you worried about we are the best team in europe full stop if there was to be a european super league im certain united would top it . Back in 99 i was 17 about your age toybos on many a occasion i doubted that team but my uncle would say to me we are united there is always a chance we will do it and it has stuck with me ever since . As a united fan you have to believe your the best because we are the best so dont doubt us never doubt us .

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Yeah i was going to say a tiny bit early :p

But its going to be a great game nothing like a boring clash of Chelsea Vs Liverpool

Both teams will go for it but with Barca missing Puyol from the first leg we have a real good chance :D

·
Registered
854 Posts
My nerves will be gone watchin this. i can't wait for it. Henry, Ronaldo, Messi, Etoo, Ronaldinhio etc. What talent? I think our defence might see us through both legs. We can win in the Nou Camp imo and set ourselves up in Old Trafford.

The final is on my 21st birthday. If it is Man United v Liverpool. oh my god. Bad omen though they lost to Arsenal on my 18th birthday in the fa cup final. I was sick.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Will be a great game. I have no doubt in my mind, we'll win this. Of course i always get a little nervy around Semi-Final times.
We must go out there and win and we will.

I'm so excited, i was licking my lips when the prospect of such a game was possible if we both won.
The whole world will be watching this. It doesn't get any bigger than this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
THODORIS(THE RED THEO) said:
our next opponent in the road to final is barcelona..barca has now enough internal problems but our team should be very carefull and do not underestimate them..
yep + plus they could ave meesi bak by then!!! as long as we dont underestimate them, i fink we'll be too strong though

·
23,699 Posts
Clash of the titans

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...nchester_united/s/1044943_clash_of_the_titans

Camp Nou date stirs United
Source: Simon Hart/UEFA.com, Friday 11 April

It seems only fitting for Manchester United FC that their hoped-for final stop en route to the UEFA Champions League final should be Barcelona. It was on their last visit to Camp Nou, after all, that United captured their second European crown on an unforgettable May night in 1999, when late, late goals from Teddy Sheringham and Ole Gunnar Solskjær brought them back from the dead against FC Bayern München.

Defining matches

You could go further and say the European adventures of Sir Alex Ferguson's team in the 90s were defined by matches against the flagship team of the Catalan capital. The United manager himself said as much when looking ahead to facing Frank Rijkaard's FC Barcelona after the Premier League leaders had concluded a 3-0 aggregate victory over AS Roma on Wednesday night.

'Early education'

"We probably got a lot of our early education against them," said the Scot, recalling the teams' group-stage meetings in 1994/95, which brought a 2-2 draw at Old Trafford followed by a humbling 4-0 reverse at Camp Nou "at a time when we could only play three foreign players". Then there were two thrilling 3-3 draws in the 1998/99 group stage, games which underlined that United had learned to compete with the continent's best, in addition, Sir Alex said, to "representing the way the game should be played".

'Something special'

Nine seasons on, purists should again find plenty to enthuse about when the teams meet but it is a measure of the strength of Sir Alex's present squad that this time they will start as the bookmakers' favourites. "I think we've got something special in this team," said the Scot, who promised a "really positive" approach against opponents who will be missing suspended captain Carles Puyol for the first leg in Spain on 23 April. "If we do that we've got a marvellous chance," he added and his optimism is easy to understand.

Strength in depth

When United spent over €60m on Anderson, Owen Hargreaves, Nani and Carlos Tévez in the summer, the purpose was to ensure no repeat of last season's semi-final against AC Milan where a jaded-looking team were swept away 3-0 in the second leg in Italy. United's expensively acquired strength in depth was only too evident against Roma where Sir Alex was able to leave Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney – his best two attackers and scorers in the 2-0 first-leg win – on the bench, yet still win comfortably against Serie A's second-best team. "Last year maybe we weren't quite ready but this year there's a determination to go all the way," said Gary Neville, who came on as a late substitute for his first appearance after a 13-month injury lay-off.

Neville comeback

The return of the experienced Neville – together with Mikaël Silvestre, who made his own long-awaited comeback against the Italians – gives Sir Alex two experienced defensive options at a critical time. Add Gerard Piqué's able performance deputising alongside Rio Ferdinand and United look strong enough to withstand the absence of the injured Nemanja Vidić, should he not recover in time to face the Blaugrana. United have defended impressively in this season's UEFA Champions League – six clean sheets in ten outings – yet it is further upfield where Sir Alex looks really spoilt for choice.

Dynamic duo

Arguably their best players against the Giallorossi were Tévez and Hargreaves. Besides combining for the Argentinian's winning goal, their dynamic displays spoke clearly of the benefit of a large squad: Tévez was making his third start in this season's campaign, the perpetual-motion Hargreaves only his second. Meanwhile, it is hard to think of another manager in Europe who has the luxury of choosing between two midfield players of the passing skills of Paul Scholes, rested on Wednesday, and Anderson. Contrast that with Premier League title rivals Arsenal, whose smaller squad has been strained to breaking point by twin challenges at home and in Europe.

March on Moscow

Then there is the Ronaldo factor. Roy Keane once suggested that Eric Cantona, who was in the stands to see Roma conquered, failed to make the necessary impact in Europe; the same accusation was made of Ronaldo, the modern-day king of Old Trafford, after an anonymous showing in last season's semi-final defeat at San Siro. Yet Ronaldo – whose flexibility Sir Alex lauded this week as "one of our great tactical strengths" – looks in the mood to make the difference this time, standing top of the tournament's scoring chart. United are the only team to have scored in every game in the competition so far this season and amid doubts over Lionel Messi's fitness for Barcelona, Ronaldo could prove the man to lead the march on Moscow.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Anyone at this stage should not be underestimated as anyone can win it from here. There are no favourites at this stage as all 4 in the semis have equally good quality sides who can perform on the big stage and all teams have big players and match winners. It will be a close game but I am really confident with the squad we have and with the form we are in. I would say both teams are equal in many aspects and maybe we are slightly better and more stable in the defence area but its time like this when small factors make the difference - like us having the 2nd leg at home, our domestic form and our unbeaten run in this years CL and us having the top scorer in both the EPL and CL.

·
Registered
245 Posts
i believe it will be----

NOU CAMP=====1-0 to united ................................do i have to say ronaldo..;)

THEATRE OF DREAMS=====2-1 to united....messi for barca...and^^^^^^

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
wow you all seem so confident. I am dreading this game! I think barca will have more possession at home and possibly over the two legs such is there ease at passing the ball if im honest. I also think it'll be a great game. I think two teams who play true football will only creat an exciting game, whether we win or not or whether that plays into our favour to not i dont know but i think that is how the game will be played. It will be either the team who plays the better football will win or the team who is stronger and has the better defence in my opinion.

Some great players to watch out for aswell...I hope anderson does not get outshone by iniesta in the middle, iniesta is only like 23 years old but is a fantastic player. Alot of the game will depend on how well the ball is distributed from the middle to the flanks and to keep as much of the ball as possible!

Cannot wait! By the way i hope out midfielders have a few attempts at goal in this game or practise before the game, a midfielder or someone who is not expected too can often make the difference in a game like this!

·
Registered
8 Posts
United will do it!! have confidence my friends. We have a great squad which has experience, speed, power and top class. Barca obviously are good but if we play to our strengths we can beat any 1 espcially with the form of twinkle toes ronaldo over the last 2 years!

1 - 20 of 183 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.