Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I have watched a video - very old video - called "Cloughie".

I hear about Brian Clough many times in my country and here too obviously but I dont know a lot about him......

In this video I see things that amaze me......

He start off as a manager in Hartlepool and he takes them from the bottom division up to the 3rd division. Then he leaves to work for Nottingham Forest via Leeds and Derby.

Today a manager does very well if he has a big club and plenty of cash !!!!

So Brian Clough arrives at Nottingham Forest and they are a small club with very little money......so things did not look too good for Clough.

He starts up a nice youth team policy - a cheap way to find good players as we all know due to the efforts of Matt Busby and Fergie !!!

So now Mr Clough has a bunch of unproven young players and he scouts around many teams for all the 'old washed up' players and he signs these up too.

Now he has a bunch of kids and a lot of old, finished guys. Many, many teams have had this mix in the past. But what he did with these guys is amazing !!!

He got them together - he trained them - he made them very proud and very keen to win ........... but most of all they respect Clough so much and they will do anything for him !!!

I see one point in this video where the guy is interviewing Clough and they are walking along the track from the training ground back to changing rooms. Two of the players walked behind and because they were walking faster than Clough and the guy interviewing him - they began to walk past him.....

Clough just said "Don't you walk past me - dont you walk past me" and the guys slowed right down and walked behind him !!!

They had so much respect for him - they did not demand silly money or ask for transfer requests - instead this bunch of kids and old men became the champions of Europe not once but TWICE !!!

If you take a piece of coal and mess around with it - play with it and manipulate it eventually you can make a diamond from it - after all coal is only carbon the same as a diamond but in a rough form !!!

Well Cloughie took a big pile of coal and made a nice little packet of diamonds from it !!!!

The FA were too scared to make him England manager apparently because they said he would have taken over the whole game from the top right down to the grass roots - the interviewer said "That wouldn't have happened though would it Brian ?" and Clough say "Yes it bloody would have done !!!!"

I dont know about you guys but if this man is not in the top 5 managers of all time in England then there is something wrong !!!

To take nothing and make them Champions of Europe is a fairy tale - but he made it reality !!!

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
yeah he was a great manager

my favourite bit about him was when he punched that boy in the face when everyone ran on the pitch! :D:D

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Justice said:
Im pretty sure he could have done great things with the England Squad.
I think you are right there too......he would have controlled everything from the youth teams right up through all ages - so when the player become senior player they are already very good England player........but they were too scared to let him have a try for this !!

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ARBUCKS said:
He was the man behind bringing a young Roy Keane over from Ireland many years ago!!
Actually you are right....I dont remember which Irish club he play for but Cloughie did find him for sure.....well noted young man :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Justice said:
Im pretty sure he could have done great things with the England Squad.
Agree ,Cloughie wasnt a yes man and should of been England manager i truly beleive if he had of been we might of gone on to win the world cup ,lifes great mystery why he was never England manager same as why Steve Bruce was never given a chance to play for England..

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
greenhoff said:
Agree ,Cloughie wasnt a yes man and should of been England manager i truly beleive if he had of been we might of gone on to win the world cup ,lifes great mystery why he was never England manager same as why Steve Bruce was never given a chance to play for England..
I say this often and it makes people mad at me but its true --- England will not win anything because of the way the players are - they are greedy, self absorbed and they dont appear for England for the right reasons - because they are super stars all manager of England pick these same guys because its what is expect of them you know.

Clough would tell them to go.....go now......

Then he would find other guys who can play in his team and WIN, WIN, WIN !!!

But the FA were scared of him from what I read about him - so he was kept away from this England job !!!!

This is bloody crazy way to do business but its the way the FA work.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
I say this often and it makes people mad at me but its true --- England will not win anything because of the way the players are - they are greedy, self absorbed and they dont appear for England for the right reasons - because they are super stars all manager of England pick these same guys because its what is expect of them you know.

But the FA were scared of him from what I read about him - so he was kept away from this England job !!!!

Yep half of the team would of been automaticaly dropped after last years world cup under Clough,there wouldnt be this get picked if you play for a top club attitude,either play well or piss off.Roy Keane will become a great manager as he has played under the two best men in the job..

·
has been served
2,949 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:

Agreed. The only players I can think of who truly play for England with there heart are all United players. Terry is a bastard, Gerrard is a bastard, Lampard is a bastard, Smith is the only one who isnt a United player but got the heart, but hey last week he was in red. Carrick and Hargreaves for centre mid, **** lardpard and gerrard.

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Forest qualify for the European Cup Final with a team that cost maybe 750,000 pounds - all thanks to this guy - BRIAN CLOUGH !!

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Justice said:
Carrick and Hargreaves for centre mid.
that would be a very good move for England to do......but no way will Mclaren his two rent boys Lampard and Gerrard :D

But hey, i dont care about England national team, i love seeing them do sh*t......:D

Scotland are catching them up in the world rankings! :cool:

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SolskjaertheLegend said:
that would be a very good move for England to do......but no way will Mclaren his two rent boys Lampard and Gerrard :D

But hey, i dont care about England national team, i love seeing them do sh*t......:D

Scotland are catching them up in the world rankings! :cool:
12. England 1097 points (-4)
13. ROMANIA !!!! 1068 (-1)
22. Scotland 895 (+1)

Soon ROMANIA go past England !!!

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
12. England 1097 points (-4)
13. ROMANIA !!!! 1068 (-1)
22. Scotland 895 (+1)