Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
he Football League has voted overwhelmingly in favour of implementing new quotas on home-grown players from the start of next season.

At least four players in every 16-man match-day squad will have to have been registered domestically for at least three years before their 21st birthday.

Football League chairman Lord Mawhinney praised the clubs for their decision.

He said: "This is a very significant day. Players coming through will have a greater chance to show their talent."

The new rule is in line with Uefa's approach and means players who have spent long enough registered to a domestic club will be considered as "home grown" regardless of their nationality.

Fifa had proposed a "six-plus-five" rule - which would have limited the number of foreign players to five - but this ran into problems with European law.

Mawhinney added: "I believe we are the first major league in Europe to have brought in this rule.

"This may not have a widespread effect immediately but it's about what happens in the years ahead. We agree with Uefa president Michel Platini that young players are the backbone of the teams.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7789808.stm

What's your opinion on this new rule ?

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Is this only for the Championship and Leagues 1 & 2?

If so, I think its great, it'll help your national team greatly.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
piazza said:
Is this only for the Championship and Leagues 1 & 2?

If so, I think its great, it'll help your national team greatly.
I've never understood this argument at all. England have world class players in every position. and the players on the fringes are quality as well. I don't see how restrictions on foreign players will beneit the national team, because the quality of players isn't the problem, it's more that they've been mis-managed for so long. Played out of position, partnered with players too similar ala Gerrard/Lampard etc etc. It's an argument that makes no sense.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
-zuco- said:
I've never understood this argument at all. England have world class players in every position. and the players on the fringes are quality as well. I don't see how restrictions on foreign players will beneit the national team, because the quality of players isn't the problem, it's more that they've been mis-managed for so long. Played out of position, partnered with players too similar ala Gerrard/Lampard etc etc. It's an argument that makes no sense.
You throw that around pretty recklessly if you think Ashley Cole/John Terry/David James are all world class. Heskey......Becks.............

Gerrard and Rooney are the only ones I'd consider to be world class.

It makes sense at least to me, because they'd be getting football in at an earlier age.

I think the main problem with Engerland is that nobody is playing abroad, and the international game is played much differently than in the Premiership.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
-zuco- said:

Agreed I would say the players that are making it for England now are of a higher level because of the talent in the league .

England managed well could do really well in a tournament . And I have a feeling the time is coming when we have a real crack at a tournament under capello .

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
piazza said:
You throw that around pretty recklessly if you think Ashley Cole/John Terry/David James are all world class. Heskey......Becks.............

It makes sense at least to me, because they'd be getting football in at an earlier age.

I think the main problem with Engerland is that nobody is playing abroad, and the international game is played much differently than in the Premiership.

Are you on drugs !!!!

Say what you want but Cashly Cole and John Terry are world class

maybe not David James

But if you look at every international team they have one or two who are questionable.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
piazza said:

Cole and James are still world class in my opinion. Apart from the odd clanger, James is one of the best keepers in the world. Ashley Cole is brilliant when played as an attacking full back, rather than a defensive one in the Mourinho era. I'll give you John Terry, Carvalho makes him look good.

Look at the midfield though, Gerrard AND Lampard are both world class. I don't know a central midfielder who scores more goals than Lampard in the world. Then you have players like Carrick, Hargreaves, Barry etc, all top quality. On the wings we've got talented players like SWP, Joe Cole, Walcott and hopefully Ashley young in the very near future. Any of those players can go past any defender when they're on form.

Then you've got the striking department which is probably our weakest area. Rooney is obviously first choice. Heskey can do a good job at creating space and winning the ball but he's not world class by any stretch of the imagination. Owen will be lucky to get back into the team, but he's still a class striker when he can stay fit long enough. Then there are the ones who struggle to get call ups, Defoe, Crouch, Darren Bent and more recently Agbonlahor has started to show Capello that he deserves a chance.

That group of players could easily win the World Cup with he right management, they're certainly not short of talent and flair, so the idea that putting limits on foreigners will improve the national team does make me laugh.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
red dave said:
Are you on drugs !!!!

Say what you want but Cashly Cole and John Terry are world class

maybe not David James

But if you look at every international team they have one or two who are questionable.
When i think world class, I think of someone who would at least make the substitutes on a World XI.

Cole<Evra Cole<Clichy Cole<Abidal Cole<Lahm

Let's not forget LB isn't the deepest position either

As for Terry, he wouldn't start on United. He's garbage without Carvalho, he's too damn slow to be world class ffs.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
piazza said:
When i think world class, I think of someone who would at least make the substitutes on a World XI.

Cole<Evra Cole<Clichy Cole<Abidal Cole<Lahm

Let's not forget LB isn't the deepest position either

As for Terry, he wouldn't start on United. He's garbage without Carvalho, he's too damn slow to be world class ffs.
Terry is a class defender full stop !!

As for Cole he has been at the top of his game for 10 years I think he is to .

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
firstly, the rule is so, so vague that it barely makes a difference. Essentially, there needs to be 4 players (of any nationality) that were signed to a British club by the time they reached 18.
this will have no real impact on our team, and most of the other big teams. they sign players of any nationality into their academies and train them up. when the da silva's and possebon and petrucci and kiko macheda and magnus eikrem and all the other foreigners reach 3 years at the club, they can count as one of them. "domestically registered" means that as long as a player is attached to an english club by his 18th birthday, and stays for 3 years, he can then count as one of these players.

we're not helping our national team.

if you go through all the teams in the premiership i reckon most already have four players who have played for english teams since they were 18

1 - 12 of 12 Posts