Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coin throwing seems to be an increasing problem in football today. With the incident at Villa involving the linesman and today at the Stadium of Light involving Joey Barton in my opinion something needs to be done. Anyone have any idea how it can be done though? I mean it wont be that easy. People wont be standing at the gates changing notes into coins. Extra police isn't much of a option either. I cant see a simple solution to it.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Yes, I think Joey Barton got off lucky, I would have thrown a brick!!

Coin throwing, like anything else, is assault with intent and should be dealt with as such. "Oh dear, we must ban the person for this" is NOT the way forward. He (or she) needs to be taken to court and their details plastered all over their local rags.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Well, the only step they can take in my opinion is to just make an example out of those who do it. They should get a lifetime ban as Harry said, or if it's persistent within a certain team, make them play a game behind closed doors even. It's extreme but these sort of things need to be stamped out. Linesman/referee's jobs are difficult enough as it is.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Because I'm DC said:
Well, the only step they can take in my opinion is to just make an example out of those who do it. They should get a lifetime ban as Harry said, or if it's persistent within a certain team, make them play a game behind closed doors even. It's extreme but these sort of things need to be stamped out. Linesman/referee's jobs are difficult enough as it is.
I have reservations about this because

a. why should the club suffer through deprivation of revenue?

b. why should 99.9999999999999999999999999% of the fans suffer because of one pleb?

Maybe an answer would be, that if the person is not grassed on, the relevant section WILL be closed the next home game. *hmmm*

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Its been happening as long as remember , in fact it hardly ever happens now compared to the past .
The scousers used to throw darts into our end along with urine .
The idea of closing an end down is harsh , cctv is the way to go take the guilty person to court and revoke his season ticket

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Red Devil said:
I have reservations about this because

a. why should the club suffer through deprivation of revenue?

b. why should 99.9999999999999999999999999% of the fans suffer because of one pleb?

Maybe an answer would be, that if the person is not grassed on, the relevant section WILL be closed the next home game. *hmmm*
I thought about this, and well, if it's persistent, and the suspect can't be nailed via video evidence, it's the club's fault I would of thought. It happened to Inter Milan back in '05, obviously that was on a greater scale, but it was less than 50% of them I would of thought.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
I am not an advocate of blaming clubs for fans, its not fair at all.

I was in the Anfailed Road end watching United stuff Liverpool 4-1 on Dec 14th 1969 and was pelted with coins from people in the stands next to us. After we had picked them all up (I made a bit out of this) - we began chanting about poor scousers, throwing benefit money at United fans!!!

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Red Devil said:
I am not an advocate of blaming clubs for fans, its not fair at all.

I was in the Anfailed Road end watching United stuff Liverpool 4-1 on Dec 14th 1969 and was pelted with coins from people in the stands next to us. After we had picked them all up (I made a bit out of this) - we began chanting about poor scousers, throwing benefit money at United fans!!!
But the fans represent their clubs, so for me it's the club's job to educate them and warn them against this sort of behaviour. If a team has a bad group of fans out in a European game, all of their fans are branded hooligans.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
stretty said:
Its been happening as long as remember , in fact it hardly ever happens now compared to the past .
The scousers used to throw darts into our end along with urine .
The idea of closing an end down is harsh , cctv is the way to go take the guilty person to court and revoke his season ticket

stretty....wrong hun it happens quite often...2 seasons ago i was at reading game,they lost and their fans went nuts..a coin hit my head and nearly knocked me out..alot of our fans were having ago back,and i was literally carried out..it wasnt just coins that day,it was bottles,bits of wood.you name it.those animals were throwing it...police took statements,they had cctv,and yet nothing happened,i am glad i have long hair,because i have got a really nice scar on my head.it wasn't just coin throwing,there was a great big fat guy being vile to me,i was in the front row,near enough to catch eye contact with him..what he wasn't going to do to me outside......made my skin crawl...:eek:
some of these clubs just seem to get away with it..coin throwing....verbally bashing away fans...something needs doing...:mad:

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
red lady said:
stretty....wrong hun it happens quite often...2 seasons ago i was at reading game,they lost and their fans went nuts..a coin hit my head and nearly knocked me out..alot of our fans were having ago back,and i was literally carried out..it wasnt just coins that day,it was bottles,bits of wood.you name it.those animals were throwing it...police took statements,they had cctv,and yet nothing happened,i am glad i have long hair,because i have got a really nice scar on my head.it wasn't just coin throwing,there was a great big fat guy being vile to me,i was in the front row,near enough to catch eye contact with him..what he wasn't going to do to me outside......made my skin crawl...:eek:
some of these clubs just seem to get away with it..coin throwing....verbally bashing away fans...something needs doing...:mad:
Its probably because i sit in the stretford end and i am at the opposite end to the away supporters.
It certainly happens at away matches we often get pelted with coins , in fact we got pelted at the fa cup final v chelsea a couple of years ago we were entering the tube station and it rained coins down on us below,the united fans ran upstairs and got most of the culprits which was good.
All i was saying was it more prevelant years ago than now

·
Registered
809 Posts
i was ten feet away from barton, he literally asked for it with his actions...
i also know alot of people who did throw coins at the "toon" earlier...
then they brought the dogs in so me and my m8 went. :D

S

·
0 Posts
cjl_safcfan said:
i was ten feet away from barton, he literally asked for it with his actions...
i also know alot of people who did throw coins at the "toon" earlier...
then they brought the dogs in so me and my m8 went. :D
Stupid moronic idiots, every single one of them.
Hopefully coin/bottle throwers and fighting fans on the pitch afterwards will
all have been caught on CCTV and recieve lifelong banning orders.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
In Ireland...you get cups of tea thrown at you! :D

Oh...the odd firework around this time too:rolleyes:...

Pretty disgraceful really

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
violence in football is unacceptable...don't care what the reasoning is,innocent people get hurt,that moron could have blinded me,all because their team lost. my feeling is deduct the club points,if they cant control their "fans".no point in giving most clubs a fine because they have no idea what living in the real world is like,too many rich clubs,so a fine would be water off a ducks back...point deduction would hurt them more.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Red Lady: Big fat guys, with big fat mouths are big fat cowards. It was all for show and to impress his mates. "Ohhhh, look at me I'm hard". If he was making remarks of a sexual nature you could have had him done for sexual harrassment, lets see the coppers talk their way out of that one.

POlice are not interested anymore, there is so much red tape involved, not to mention political correctness, they simply do not bother. Its about time they were reminded who are the servants of the people, not the other way around.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Red Devil said:
Red Lady: Big fat guys, with big fat mouths are big fat cowards. It was all for show and to impress his mates. "Ohhhh, look at me I'm hard". If he was making remarks of a sexual nature you could have had him done for sexual harrassment, lets see the coppers talk their way out of that one.

POlice are not interested anymore, there is so much red tape involved, not to mention political correctness, they simply do not bother. Its about time they were reminded who are the servants of the people, not the other way around.

red devil....he was very very straight with what he said to me..extremely graphic too.but the plod didnt want to know..

S

·
0 Posts
Up to 30 more arrests could be made by police investigating violence at Saturday's football derby at the Stadium of Light.
Detectives are studying hours of video footage in a bid to identify troublemakers from Saturday's match.

Officers have also revealed that 29 yobs arrested at the game were Sunderland supporters.

Police have confirmed that the majority of those arrested for a string of offences at the Sunderland-Newcastle clash were Black Cats fans.

And they have today released a list of offences that fanatical fans so far have been arrested for:

12 people were arrested for going on to the playing area

One for a racially aggravated Section 5 public order offence

Eight for other public order offences

Two for throwing missiles

One for a breach of a banning order

One for possession of an offensive weapon

Two for drunk and disorderly

One for being drunk in a sports ground

One an offence relating to a breach of the peace

One for common assault.

Eight people have so far been charged.

Police are also hoping to secure more arrests over the coming days as they trace troublemakers.

Plenty of supporters also had their say, with the Football Supporters' Federation (FSF) being inundated with views from fans at Saturday's match.

The charity was keen to hear from fans on policing of the match and any other issues they wanted to raise, whether good or bad.

Scott Bentley, head of the FSF North East division, said: "We have had a lot of responses from people texting and emailing us, particularly about the end of the match.

"There is a mix of responses with some positive and some negative feedback.

"There are also a number of issues that we will be discussing with police, the clubs and the Football Association (FA)."

The FA is also launching a probe into the violence that erupted during the day.

A spokesman said: "We are in discussions with the club and police with the focus on identifying those responsible for the problems.

"We would call for the strongest possible action to be taken if anyone is found guilty of the offences."

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/safc/Another-30-face-arrest-after.4635309.jp

1 - 20 of 25 Posts