Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fergie isn't often guilty of making mistakes when it comes to moving players on at
Old Trafford. It's a reputation he has built with the offloading of Beckham,
Stam, RVN, Hughes, etc etc.

However, in more recent times not all of his decisions have proved watertight
with players like Stam, Van Nistelrooy and Beckham all continuing to play at a
high level after leaving the club. And now we could add former forward Giuseppe
Rossi to the list.

The short arse striker was eventually sold to Spain's Villareal at the start of the
season, despite a lack of strikers at the club that hasn't really been addressed
since. Rossi has excelled in Spain and for the Italy Under-21 team scoring
numerous goals and rumours from Serie A suggest that Inter Milan are prepared
to offer £14m for his services – while we're supposedly trying to offload Louis
Saha to some poor unfortunate club/victim, lol ... :p

As understand it, the deal that took Rossi to Villareal included a first option of
buying him back – should Fergie admit a mistake and bring back the club's own
version of Gianfranco Zola ... :confused:

Rossi has admitted that he found it difficult to break into the United squad during
his three seasons at the club. Saying it is difficult to play in such a big team as
Manchester United.

We had great strikers such as Louis Saha, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Wayne Rooney
and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, so yes he had a hard time to break through.

But, with only Wayne Rooney from that list guaranteed to still be at the club next
season, there now seems an opening should Fergie decide to bring Rossi back –
although the player has distanced himself from a return.

Our only reservation is that along with front men like Rooney and Tevez we don't
need another striker who is small in stature, which is probably the reason we
recently invested in a target man like Manucho – although there are still doubts
about whether he is ready for a full season in the Premier League.

With Saha expected to leave, we'll certainly be in the market for a new striker
come the summer – but should we give Giuseppe Rossi a second chance ?

Discuss ...

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
i wouldnt regard selling rossi as a 'mistake' because there is the buy back clause built into the deal, rossi himself wanted a move like this more so than another loan deal and it has worked out for him by the looks of things, he obviously feels morre wanted and is doin well!

yes i think we should take him back i would really like to see him play for united!! fact is he would have had alot more opportunities this season than he would ahve thought considering solskjaers retirement and saha's ......

yes hes not a target man but hes a quality player and we've designed a very impressive system this season that utilises the qualities of smaller strikers with the tevez rooney combo!! Manucho will be our plan B next year, if saha's out the door we should bring back rossi, never shouldve let him go in the beginning!!!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
he is doin well for villareal and he is a great player......i think SAF may try to buy him back........but it depends upon SAF...

·
Banned
51 Posts
I agree with eoininho, it was not a mistake as SAF wanted Rossi to stay but apparently the lad didn't think he'd get enough first team football. That was why he was reluctantly sold and a first option clause put in his contract with Villareal. I think if he have known that Ole would have to retire, Smith would leave and Rooney would be out with injuries, Ferguson would have convinced Rossi to stay with United this season.

Like Carley says though, we've got our fair share of short-arses at United at the mo, so I don't think we'll see him back at OT anytime soon.

·
23,699 Posts
I am still sore that he was released. I mean, he is young, upcoming and talented so why let him go after spending time and efforts in grooming him?! Unless it was really true that he insisted to be in the First XI?

Will he come back? I don't know.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
As much as i want him back at old trafford..I cant see it happening anytime soon..If we get him back, we will not be sure if he will get more time that what he had at Villareal. Thats the main reason why he left anyway.Who knows if Tevez rejected the offer to sign with us permanently, maybe sir alex will buy him back? But that is in the future.. for now I think both us & him shall move on.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I am quite a big fan of Rossi. I think he is and will be a great player. He's a born and bred goal scorer and will get goals wherever he plays. I'm not sure why Fergie didn't want to take a risk on him and try him out in the Premiership but I doubt he'll come back to the club.

There are rumours that a few top Italian clubs have been sniffing around him and if he leaves Villareal in the next season or two I don't think we'll be interested.

Saha may well leave in the summer but with Manucho coming in, Dong and Campbell still on the books, Wellbeck and Brandy coming through the youth set up and very strong rumours linking us to Berbatov I can't see us buying Rossi back.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Yeah Inter is one of them but seriously, why would he want to go to inter where his chances are as the same as here in united? I still think the best place for him is in villareal. He is doing fine so far, and as much as it hurt me to say, am happy to see him doing well.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
If he wants first team football, Inter would be the last place he should go. Ibrahimovic, Cruz, Crespo, and Suazo.

It would have been nice to keep Rossi for this season, given Ole retiring and Rooney and Saha getting injuries, but he already left, and I think we're good for the next few years. Manucho coming in, Saha possibly leaving, and we get another striker. It was a bit sad to see Rossi go, but he's doing well, as are we, so I don't see the need to buy him back.

·
Registered
143 Posts
versa said:
I am still sore that he was released. I mean, he is young, upcoming and talented so why let him go after spending time and efforts in grooming him?! Unless it was really true that he insisted to be in the First XI?

Will he come back? I don't know.

I agree with you versa. I still cant imagine why fergie let him go. I always saw him as a good player. Hopefully one day he will be back at OT a better and stronger player.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Rossi is good at his new club, But for me he was a little like Forlan. Both were bad in the prem but good outside, dont mean they would be good in the prem. Players like Rossi and Iniesta for example dont have the strengh to apear in the premiership, Nor the hight.

If we do sign Rossi back he wont be able 2 break in 2 the first squad anyway, With Roony, Tevez and Manucho being strong and promising strikers. And with Anderson, Nani, Giggs, Scholes, Carric and hargreaves all fighting for midfield positions, it will be harder then ever for rossi to break into the first squad.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
All the above posters make great points so I wont bother repeating them....
but if he were to come back he still wouldnt get in ahead of Rooney and Tevez.
He wanted first team football which means playing EVERY game.
He IS quality but why would he come back to sit on the bench or wait for an injury.
As much as I like him he wont come back imo.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
it would be massive if he came back,but if afraid he probably wont come back.But wihile we're hunting for new strikers,we should keep tabs on him.Just in case

1 - 15 of 15 Posts