Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As all united fans im in awe at rooneys work rate passing ability and all round workrate . But im also as puzzled by what appears to be a complete loss of confidence in front of goal . If wayne had finished half of his missed chances in the last two seasons then we'd be talking 50 goals easy what is going wrong is he trying to hard or is he just a bad finisher .:confused:

Z

·
0 Posts
He's just a crap finisher. He does all the
hard work then loses his bottle at the end.

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
-zuco- said:
He's just a crap finisher. He does all the
hard work then loses his bottle at the end.
to be honest i think he isnt a out and out striker so when we play with one up front we suffer . I would be worried if ronaldo was to get injured as i dont think there is enough goals in are team .

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
he just has a bad period...he has a lot of time to improve...he's only 22.... I just hoope...that his injury wasn't to serious...he gave me some shivers when i saw him limpin...:(

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wazza1989 said:
he just has a bad period...he has a lot of time to improve...he's only 22.... I just hoope...that his injury wasn't to serious...he gave me some shivers when i saw him limpin...:(
rooneys not gonna be injured he is strong as an ox

·
Registered
590 Posts
The two chances he had today should have probably gone in, but at least his overall game isn't dropping that low. Look at the form he was in ealier this season just before his injury, he bagged 7 in 7 I think it was and looked on fire. He's onl 22 and still yet to fully mature, there is a lot of time still for the white Pele :)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I've said it before & I'll say it again....

Modern team formations usually include one to three strikers; two is most common. Coaches typically field one striker who plays over the shoulder of the last defender (close to the opposing team's goal), and another attacking forward who plays somewhat deeper and assists in making goals as well as scoring.

The former is usually a large striker/centre-forward, typically known as a target man, who is used to win long balls or receive passes and "hold up" the ball as team-mates advance and they are also normally the principal goal-scorer of a football team. Centre forwards act predominantly as "targets" or the focal point of an attack; it is the duty of the midfield to supply and to assist them to score.

The latter is usually a deep-lying forward/ supporting striker, typically known as a playmaker or Number 10. Because of their great technical ability, accurate passing skills and impressive vision, they have also been positioned as a playmaker in the central slot behind the forwards. In any zone surrounding the penalty area, their prowess as a creator of goals came to the fore. Simply put, they are the orchestrator of thier team's offensive play & they provide the link between attack & midfield.

From there, I think ue can clearly tell which position does Rooney excels in & is terrible at. He relies on his great ability, superb technique, sheer brilliance, explosive bursts of thunderous pace & golden touch to score a goal. Not requiring excellent aerial prowess & clinical finishing ability. Those are what he lacks in the first place. Atm, Fergie's stationing him as a centre-forward/ target man, something which he doesn't excel yet performs terribly at. Go on SAF, put Rooney where he is originally & leave him there for good. That is, a playmaker! ;)

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
rooney is a great player but he is not a striker who can lead the line and score a lot of goals,{very similar to sparky}.tevez cannot lead the line either ,utd desperatley need a striker who can, then we will progress to a higher level again.
i thought rooney played well today ,causing lots of problems although he did not score he does perform well in big games ,when he keeps his head .

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think the first time he attemped goal in tonights game he should have fallen over and then maybe it would have been penalty but cant change it now we have won and thats all that matters

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
sweet fa said:
rooney is a great player but he is not a striker who can lead the line and score a lot of goals,{very similar to sparky}.tevez cannot lead the line either ,utd desperatley need a striker who can, then we will progress to a higher level again.
i thought rooney played well today ,causing lots of problems although he did not score he does perform well in big games ,when he keeps his head .
Spot on... & spot on! He's easily rd4l's MOTM tonite ;)

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
i've been pretty critical of rooney as of late, i havent been impressed with him in a while but today was the best i saw him play in a while. I think the second chance when he got it down and then shot, he did everything right, it was just a good save, he should have scored with his first chance but its okay. He is not a crap finisher, he just needs a few goals and we'll see the better finisher in him. He is just not a world class finisher but he aint a bad finisher at all.

I was impressed with him today, he got past players, used his strenght, ran clever runs rather than just running like a headless chicken , very good performance, a goal would have topped it but he did well.

·
Registered
309 Posts
i wouldnt mind his finishing as long as he provides assists like he did twice today for goals. for rooney and for united its always been the team first it doesnt matter who scores. Thats why he is loved at OT more than any other player.He just needs a goal to go on aonther run. He is our undisputed talisman in the big games especially

·
Registered
854 Posts
played well today but you have to be concerned by his goal drought. 2 home league goals considering how we dominate all games at home and him playing most games. hopefully he is saving himself for the upcoming big games.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I was looking at videos that I downloaded of goals in Novemeber like when we went on that 4 goal winning streak and Rooney was like scoring a goal a game starting vs Roma I think...his finishing was excellent! I just hope he can find that form again..

1 - 20 of 106 Posts