Manchester United Talk banner

21 - 40 of 106 Posts

·
23,699 Posts
[Moved from another thread to this more appropriate thread.]

Rooney has great footballing brains, just like Scholes, works his guts out, has a sore-loser spirit and amazing with the assists he can conjure. He has also somehow curbed himself a bit and has vastly improved on his temperament.

The only thing that leaves me high and dry about is his finishing. Can't believe he scored none today in the Liverpool game despite the chances he had and after playing another big part in another victory for us. As the commentator pointed out, he needs a "cool head" in the wonderful situations he gets himself into to finish the job.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Give him a break, at least he's contributing to the assist on most of the goals...
Although I have to admit that he could have score a hat trick against liverpool.
Nevertheless we are still on track to the title. Just hope that he will put on his scoring boots soon. His finishing will be crucial to win both the Premier league and Champion league. I still believed you can do it.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I think a lot of the posters who have relied to this topic are not thinking back far enough, because Rooney CAN finish.

Wayne Rooney was a better finisher in his first two seasons at OT than he is now. Even last season, he gifted us with brilliant gems against Watford and Portsmouth, chipping the goalkeepers and banging them in from distance on a few occasions, but he has been woeful for the most part of this season and it has nothing to do with tactics.

When you're one on one with the keeper, you either put it in or you don't.
I think Rooney's problem is more internal. something is not quite right with him. Maybe he's putting himself under too much pressure, maybe Colleen's giving him a hard time. I don;t know, but he's getting into the right positions, but failing to put it into the back of the net.

This isn;t the same Wayne Rooney I worship...... I know he'll get back to scoring and I hope he can get over himself, because he went through a similar dip last season too and I'm not looking forward to it, if he continues to have this annual dip/blip

red_devils4life said:
I've said it before & I'll say it again....

Modern team formations usually include one to three strikers; two is most common. Coaches typically field one striker who plays over the shoulder of the last defender (close to the opposing team's goal), and another attacking forward who plays somewhat deeper and assists in making goals as well as scoring.

The former is usually a large striker/centre-forward, typically known as a target man, who is used to win long balls or receive passes and "hold up" the ball as team-mates advance and they are also normally the principal goal-scorer of a football team. Centre forwards act predominantly as "targets" or the focal point of an attack; it is the duty of the midfield to supply and to assist them to score.

The latter is usually a deep-lying forward/ supporting striker, typically known as a playmaker or Number 10. Because of their great technical ability, accurate passing skills and impressive vision, they have also been positioned as a playmaker in the central slot behind the forwards. In any zone surrounding the penalty area, their prowess as a creator of goals came to the fore. Simply put, they are the orchestrator of thier team's offensive play & they provide the link between attack & midfield.

From there, I think ue can clearly tell which position does Rooney excels in & is terrible at. He relies on his great ability, superb technique, sheer brilliance, explosive bursts of thunderous pace & golden touch to score a goal. Not requiring excellent aerial prowess & clinical finishing ability. Those are what he lacks in the first place. Atm, Fergie's stationing him as a centre-forward/ target man, something which he doesn't excel yet performs terribly at. Go on SAF, put Rooney where he is originally & leave him there for good. That is, a playmaker! ;)

Mate, thanks , but most of us here understand footballing tactics. Your post outlines that Wayne is not currently playing in the position that he would excel in, but it also doesn't address his finishing. Even, if he were playing in his favoured position, he is bound to get goal-scoring opportunities (as he always does) and at the moment he's not putting them in.

I don't see how tactics explain Wayne's current woeful finishing. When you're one on one with the keeper, you either put them in or you don't. It doesn't matter in what position you play or what tactics you are using. You're one on one with the goalkeeper and either you put it in or you don't. and Wayne is capable of doing it, he just hasn't been doing it lately and it's a concern., because he had a similar dip last season.

Nay...I reckon his problems are of a more personal nature.

·
Registered
216 Posts
he never gets composed in front of goal thats we why he not even on double figure to date!!!!!!! we need a complete HITMAN to suppliment ronaldo's finishing abilities or tevez should also be given more playing orportunities in to measure his standards...........

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
One thing is, I don't understand why he loves to aim the ball right into the keepers' path when he could either choose to drive it into the back of the net from the empty, unguarded spot in the goalpost.

Another thing is, his profligate finishing may be due to his sense of maturity.
Have you ever noticed that as he slowly grows up & mature, he seems to lack the finishing touch in the 6-yard box? Compare his finishing prowess of now & when he joined us from Everton 3 seasons ago. Obviously it's worse isn't it?

His discipline has improve tremendously & he's a more team player now than in the past. He's collected less bookings & sent-offs from the referees, provided more assists & score less goals now compared to in the past. That means, he's matured & is more of a team player now than then.

And that's a good sign IMHO!

·
Registered
309 Posts
RedForceRising said:
When you're one on one with the keeper, you either put it in or you don't.
I think Rooney's problem is more internal. something is not quite right with him. Maybe he's putting himself under too much pressure, maybe Colleen's giving him a hard time. I don;t know, but he's getting into the right positions, but failing to put it into the back of the net.

This isn;t the same Wayne Rooney I worship...... I know he'll get back to scoring and I hope he can get over himself, because he went through a similar dip last season too and I'm not looking forward to it, if he continues to have this annual dip/blip

Mate, thanks , but most of us here understand footballing tactics. Your post outlines that Wayne is not currently playing in the position that he would excel in, but it also doesn't address his finishing. Even, if he were playing in his favoured position, he is bound to get goal-scoring opportunities (as he always does) and at the moment he's not putting them in.

I don't see how tactics explain Wayne's current woeful finishing. When you're one on one with the keeper, you either put them in or you don't. It doesn't matter in what position you play or what tactics you are using. You're one on one with the goalkeeper and either you put it in or you don't. and Wayne is capable of doing it, he just hasn't been doing it lately and it's a concern., because he had a similar dip last season.

Nay...I reckon his problems are of a more personal nature.

listen mate I dont know what you are talking about. crisis? what crisis? He was Mom yesterday (as per SSN although imo it was scholes) and was declared player of the month for February so if this is what you call a dip in form I would love to see what you call a peak. okay his finishing hasnt been brilliant of late but as United og said he is not a world class finisher. in respect ti yesterday you have to give Reina a bit of credit with the second one as rooney did everything right including getting control of Vds's long ball.The first one he was hampered by Carragher's foul and was not fully to the pitch of the ball.

As i said before Rooney's game is not just about scoring goals, its about passing to players in a better position to score, workrate in terms of tracking back etc. There is no better player in relation to the latter 2 facets of the game and i have no worries he will be back scoring regularly and even of he doesnt he still contributes immensely in terms of assists etc

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
I couldn't care as long as he performed like he did against Liverpool. 2 assists and
could have easily been more aswell as scoring two himself. He should have hd one
at least. The long punt forward from VDS and the touch and shot was sublime.
Goal of the season should it have gone in!

The kids movement, passing and intelligence is enough! The goals he does get
are an added bonus!

Roll on Wayne Rooney! This guy will be a United Legend. In 30 years, we'll be
looking back and talking about Rooney, the same way we do today about Cantona,
Solskjaer, Best, Charlton......He's a true legend!

·
Registered
60 Posts
rooney is one of the best players to play for utd in past 20 odd years but he certanily aint the best finisher weve had or even in the top20 weve had but we couldnt do with out him let me tell you . maybe he will progress with his finishing like he has done with the rest of his game so wait until he does it might just be worth it and very frighting for everyone else

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Fergaiste said:
listen mate I dont know what you are talking about. crisis? what crisis? He was Mom yesterday (as per SSN although imo it was scholes) and was declared player of the month for February so if this is what you call a dip in form I would love to see what you call a peak. okay his finishing hasnt been brilliant of late but as United og said he is not a world class finisher. in respect ti yesterday you have to give Reina a bit of credit with the second one as rooney did everything right including getting control of Vds's long ball.The first one he was hampered by Carragher's foul and was not fully to the pitch of the ball.

As i said before Rooney's game is not just about scoring goals, its about passing to players in a better position to score, workrate in terms of tracking back etc. There is no better player in relation to the latter 2 facets of the game and i have no worries he will be back scoring regularly and even of he doesnt he still contributes immensely in terms of assists etc
Please tell me where I used the word crisis?
You can't because I did not. You are totally exaggerating what i wrote. And Rooney IS experiencing a dip in form.

Yes, we all understand what he contributes to the team. I love him for that very reason, but he is not putting away chances that he used to. The first chance and the chance from van der Sar's kick are both great examples.

As you state he did everything right, everything EXCEPT putting the damned ball in the back of the net. And I have every right to say that it bothers me, because it does. Have you ever played football? Because I have and still do and can tell you that it's bothering Rooney himself more than anybody else on this planet.

His contributions and assits are great, but he's a striker and he is supposed to score goals. Rooney will be the first to tell you that. He is simply not as decisive as he has been in the past. Yesterday and against Portsmouth are great examples. How about against Lyon? In all three of those games he was one on one with the keeper and choked and he used to put those type of chances away.

He's only scored in two of the last eleven games.

What is the point of your rebuttal towards my post anyway? You are having a go at me for saying he's having a dip in form, but he is! And I did not mention the word crisis a single time.

I suggest you read properly, before you write.

IS Rooney brilliant absolutely. Is his finishing way below its usual level? Yes it is. And I think it is a mental block not a general unhappiness, because as you mention his overall play is excellent.

Don;t put any words in my mouth, if you are going to reply to this. :mad:

·
Registered
309 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Please tell me where I used the word crisis?
You can't because I did not. You are totally exaggerating what i wrote. And Rooney IS experiencing a dip in form.

Yes, we all understand what he contributes to the team. I love him for that very reason, but he is not putting away chances that he used to. The first chance and the chance from van der Sar's kick are both great examples.

As you state he did everything right, everything EXCEPT putting the damned ball in the back of the net. And I have every right to say that it bothers me, because it does. Have you ever played football? Because I have and still do and can tell you that it's bothering Rooney himself more than anybody else on this planet.

His contributions and assits are great, but he's a striker and he is supposed to score goals. Rooney will be the first to tell you that. He is simply not as decisive as he has been in the past. Yesterday and against Portsmouth are great examples. How about against Lyon? In all three of those games he was one on one with the keeper and choked and he used to put those type of chances away.

He's only scored in two of the last eleven games.

What is the point of your rebuttal towards my post anyway? You are having a go at me for saying he's having a dip in form, but he is! And I did not mention the word crisis a single time.

I suggest you read properly, before you write.

IS Rooney brilliant absolutely. Is his finishing way below its usual level? Yes it is. And I think it is a mental block not a general unhappiness, because as you mention his overall play is excellent.

Don;t put any words in my mouth, if you are going to reply to this. :mad:
mate first of all relax !! you seem to be taking my comment on your post as a personal insult.I am only saying that you are exagerrating Rooney's problems in front of goal by bringing in Colleen's influence into the equation as if she has anything to do with it. That's why I mentioned the word crisis as if there was something wrong psychologically with wazza which in my opinion there is not. I know you didnt mention the word but take it easy.

his overall games is imo better than its ever been and I know he's profligate in putting the ball in the net but every striker goes through phases where they cant hit the proverbial barn door with a banjo. I know he suffered a similar dip last year but last year was more serious when he seemed to be disillusioned with the FA for banning him for a few games and Ferguson for playing him out of position. Certainly going by his interview yesterday he didnt look too bothered when asked about his paucity of goals

as for your post you are perfectly entitled to your opinion and unless i am picking you up wrong i will ever hold anything against you for expressing that opinion.

peace pal and hope you enjoyed the easter break!!!!

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts

he scored 23 goal lat season and this one just13 last season he assisted about 19 but this season more than 20 isnt he a striker he should score more

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
If Wayne Rooney was offered 13 goals and 19 assists at the start of the season ...

He would have grabbed this with both hands ... ;)

He's a 'team' player - let's not forget that ...

Wherever he is asked to play he will do it - no question about that !!!

So we must remember this on here - poor guy ... :(

He tries so hard 100% every game ...

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
-zuco- said:
He's just a crap finisher. He does all the
hard work then loses his bottle at the end.
He is just going through a bad spell in front of goal, the boy will come good and score the winner in the champions league final ,and shut all his doubters up:) :)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
he is an integral part of the team and very important to our team(as most of you know)....if we lose him, we lose or we dont play well even if we get the result..atleast he is providing.....he is my favourite united player of the current team and always will be...

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
i think every one needs to calm down , we are 5 points clear at the top of the table , with no major injuries , playing reasonable football and no signs of a crisis just yet.
ENJOY it , it doesnt matter whos missing and whos scoring as long as we are winning that is the main thing, do not worry about wayne hes class in a glass and will be back to his best very soon

·
Banned
251 Posts
I think he has been bloody awful for the last few months.what we need to do at the end of the season is get rid of Tevez and buy a top class striker like the one he let go, Nistlerooy

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
charles said:
I think he has been bloody awful for the last few months.what we need to do at the end of the season is get rid of Tevez and buy a top class striker like the one he let go, Nistlerooy
i dont thnk we need to get rid of tevez at all , its saha who should be dumped and replaced with any centre forward who can stay fit , and ruud is not easy to replace , thats why madrid got a bargain , how much is it going to cost for a replacement for ruud at least 25 to 30 million

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Fergaiste said:
mate first of all relax !! you seem to be taking my comment on your post as a personal insult.I am only saying that you are exagerrating Rooney's problems in front of goal by bringing in Colleen's influence into the equation as if she has anything to do with it. That's why I mentioned the word crisis as if there was something wrong psychologically with wazza which in my opinion there is not. I know you didnt mention the word but take it easy.

his overall games is imo better than its ever been and I know he's profligate in putting the ball in the net but every striker goes through phases where they cant hit the proverbial barn door with a banjo. I know he suffered a similar dip last year but last year was more serious when he seemed to be disillusioned with the FA for banning him for a few games and Ferguson for playing him out of position. Certainly going by his interview yesterday he didnt look too bothered when asked about his paucity of goals

as for your post you are perfectly entitled to your opinion and unless i am picking you up wrong i will ever hold anything against you for expressing that opinion.

peace pal and hope you enjoyed the easter break!!!!
Well, from where I stand we have no way to know is going on between the ears of another person. I was offering possibilities as to why Rooney is finishing so badly at the moment, when he has been able to do so in the past.

I was being tounge-in-cheek with the Colleen remark, so I was quite surprised to read that I was talking about a crisis.

The bottom line is I love Rooney, but am worried about his finishing at the moment. This doesn't make me a glory hunter or someone who exagerates or someone who doesn;t support Manchester United whole-heartedly.

It just means I'm a realist who can admit when his hero is not scoring when he should be.

I have three jerseys with the name Giggs on the back. He is my all time favourite left winger. A lot of people have forgotten how he used to play, but I haven't.

Still, I am able to admint that he has been in decline for a while and experience an "Indian summer" last season. This season, he hasn't always warranted a starting place. He's still a hero and I would never say he's anything less than class, but he's not deserving of a starting place at the moment.

Why can't somebody be a fan and still say what he's observing?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
My dear RFR, ue ought to be ready for all these types of disagreement.
After all, it's still a forum where ppl group together for healthy debates.
Everybody has the power of freedom speech....thus regardless of what
anyone says, ue can still maintain ur stance over a particular topic.

Never expect ppl to change ur opinions & vice-versa. But sometimes,
when someone realise he/she is wrong in their opinions which they voiced
out, it's not too late to agree is it? And that of coz' didn't imply 'bout ue ;)

21 - 40 of 106 Posts