Manchester United Talk banner

41 - 60 of 106 Posts

·
23,699 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Why can't somebody be a fan and still say what he's observing?
Well said, mate. :)

Imo, that is actually all we need to do, expressing our honest opinions and saying it as we see it. And whether we are right or wrong, whether others agree with us or not, it is immaterial and another issue altogether. At least in the context of a forum. Cliche perhaps.

But I also learnt one thing from participating in forum. It does take maturity not to respond too when there is deemed a 'stalemate' and to 'soften' things if harmony is deemed threatened.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Why can't somebody be a fan and still say what he's observing
Football is a game about opinions , everyone sees the game differently even the bloke who sits next to me in the stretty , we have our favourites and players we dislike , and they differ.
Fergie sees it different to all of us , i think i have the right to criticise as i pay my money to the club ,but i do not criticise our players during a match , i have even sung the darren fletcher song (one of my dislikes).
I think forums like these are the ideal place to voice your opinion , and theres nothing wrong with disliking some of our own players , we only criticise for the right reasons i.e players like rooney misfiring . we want the best for our club.
So carry on its always interesting to hear differing views from other fans , and its good to debate these issues on the these forums

·
Registered
309 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Well, from where I stand we have no way to know is going on between the ears of another person. I was offering possibilities as to why Rooney is finishing so badly at the moment, when he has been able to do so in the past.

I was being tounge-in-cheek with the Colleen remark, so I was quite surprised to read that I was talking about a crisis.

The bottom line is I love Rooney, but am worried about his finishing at the moment. This doesn't make me a glory hunter or someone who exagerates or someone who doesn;t support Manchester United whole-heartedly.

It just means I'm a realist who can admit when his hero is not scoring when he should be.

I have three jerseys with the name Giggs on the back. He is my all time favourite left winger. A lot of people have forgotten how he used to play, but I haven't.

Still, I am able to admint that he has been in decline for a while and experience an "Indian summer" last season. This season, he hasn't always warranted a starting place. He's still a hero and I would never say he's anything less than class, but he's not deserving of a starting place at the moment.

Why can't somebody be a fan and still say what he's observing?

Ok first of all hope we now understand each other a bit better as I think we have both been guilty of overeacting to the other's remarks.AS i alluded to in the previous post i have absolutely no problem with you expressing your observations about Rooney or anybody else even if I take a different angle to Rooney's alleged dip in form. No player is beyond criticism and though wazza is my favourite player, (along with scholes,) I am the first to admit he was stupid to attempt that dive against spurs resulting in a booking. This example of cheating indirectly cost us a creditable performance against City and for once the team suffered due to Rooney's idiocy and resulting match ban.

that said he has not suffered that badly in front of goal recently. He did score against Arsenal and Newcastle twice in the last month so this period has not been that barren.AS has been said numerous times his game is not just one dimensional i.e scoring. in taht respect he is similar to Sparky hughes wh owas renowned as more of a scorer of great goals rather than a great goal scorer. Sparky was also a great team player, a rugged nighmare for defenders and most of all a man for the big occasion.rooney has more ability on picking out players in terms of assists and workrate.

Therefore it is my sincere belief that rooney being so unselfish only cares about the team winning and getting the best out of all of his teammates. Take for example the assist for saha(who needed the confidence of a goal) in the newcastle game thereby sacrificing his own hatrick. i somehow doubt if ronaldo would have done the same.

i am absolutely convinced he will be back amongst the goals in the coming games but rest assured he will not lose sleep over this as similar to Sheringham his objectives are not about mere goal scoring but being an all round scorer and maker of goals-whether its him or somebody who scores it doesnt matter a jot;)

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
"Therefore it is my sincere belief that rooney being so unselfish only cares about the team winning and getting the best out of all of his teammates. Take for example the assist for saha(who needed the confidence of a goal) in the newcastle game thereby sacrificing his own hatrick. i somehow doubt if ronaldo would have done the same."

well noted mate

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
versa said:
Well said, mate. :)

Imo, that is actually all we need to do, expressing our honest opinions and saying it as we see it. And whether we are right or wrong, whether others agree with us or not, it is immaterial and another issue altogether. At least in the context of a forum. Cliche perhaps.

But I also learnt one thing from participating in forum. It does take maturity not to respond too when there is deemed a 'stalemate' and to 'soften' things if harmony is deemed threatened.
Agreed!

Sometimes yhou need to give the whole olive tree, not just the branch!
Problem is, I really love trees. : )

red_devils4life said:
My dear RFR, ue ought to be ready for all these types of disagreement.
After all, it's still a forum where ppl group together for healthy debates.
Everybody has the power of freedom speech....thus regardless of what
anyone says, ue can still maintain ur stance over a particular topic.

Never expect ppl to change ur opinions & vice-versa. But sometimes,
when someone realise he/she is wrong in their opinions which they voiced
out, it's not too late to agree is it? And that of coz' didn't imply 'bout ue ;)
My dear rd4l,

thanks for the input.
This is a forum, and i fully expect to voice my opinion and read other's opinions.

What I did not expect, is people being unable to read and putting words in my mouth.

Fergaiste said:

that said he has not suffered that badly in front of goal recently. He did score against Arsenal and Newcastle twice in the last month so this period has not been that barren.AS has been said numerous times his game is not just one dimensional i.e scoring. in taht respect he is similar to Sparky hughes wh owas renowned as more of a scorer of great goals rather than a great goal scorer. Sparky was also a great team player, a rugged nighmare for defenders and most of all a man for the big occasion.rooney has more ability on picking out players in terms of assists and workrate.

Therefore it is my sincere belief that rooney being so unselfish only cares about the team winning and getting the best out of all of his teammates. Take for example the assist for saha(who needed the confidence of a goal) in the newcastle game thereby sacrificing his own hatrick. i somehow doubt if ronaldo would have done the same.

i am absolutely convinced he will be back amongst the goals in the coming games but rest assured he will not lose sleep over this as similar to Sheringham his objectives are not about mere goal scoring but being an all round scorer and maker of goals-whether its him or somebody who scores it doesnt matter a jot;)
Agreed that Rooney is heaps more unselfish than Ronaldo and of course creates more chances. It was the same last season. Our winger scores more and our striker creates more chances.

Not that there's something wrong with that, because we're playing well and winning, so like the Americans say "If it ain't broke don;t fix it".

I love Rooney's unselfishness and hate Ronaldo's selfishness. I also love Ronaldo's finishing and find my patience wearing thin with Rooney's finishing. Those two games you mention where he scored means he scored in two games out of the last 11 matches and that tat doesn't even tell half the story. The whole story is that he has had A LOT of chances and wasted them. I'm talking real gilt-edged chances here.

Rooney's on field heroics definitely inspires the team and we're a lesser team without him, but he is also letting his team down when he takes that extra touch instead of pulling the trigger or firing the ball straight at the keeper when he has the whole goal to aim at.

It's not like he can't do it, he can and he has. He's just not doing it now.

In the upcoming CL games, he will be fortunate to have a single chance vs Roma and if we progress vs Barca and if he hasn't found he's shooting boots by then we might have real problems.

Say what you will about his overall play, but because of the position he plays in, he will always get into goal-scoring positions and it's better for Man Utd if he starts finishing the way Wayne Rooney can.

GGMU!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
You see it all the time, in a number of sports...

Wazza's just a little 'snake-bit' right now. Once he gets one, he'll get a bunch...

·
Registered
309 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Agreed!

Sometimes yhou need to give the whole olive tree, not just the branch!
Problem is, I really love trees. : )

My dear rd4l,

thanks for the input.
This is a forum, and i fully expect to voice my opinion and read other's opinions.

What I did not expect, is people being unable to read and putting words in my mouth.

Agreed that Rooney is heaps more unselfish than Ronaldo and of course creates more chances. It was the same last season. Our winger scores more and our striker creates more chances.

Not that there's something wrong with that, because we're playing well and winning, so like the Americans say "If it ain't broke don;t fix it".

I love Rooney's unselfishness and hate Ronaldo's selfishness. I also love Ronaldo's finishing and find my patience wearing thin with Rooney's finishing. Those two games you mention where he scored means he scored in two games out of the last 11 matches and that tat doesn't even tell half the story. The whole story is that he has had A LOT of chances and wasted them. I'm talking real gilt-edged chances here.

Rooney's on field heroics definitely inspires the team and we're a lesser team without him, but he is also letting his team down when he takes that extra touch instead of pulling the trigger or firing the ball straight at the keeper when he has the whole goal to aim at.

It's not like he can't do it, he can and he has. He's just not doing it now.

In the upcoming CL games, he will be fortunate to have a single chance vs Roma and if we progress vs Barca and if he hasn't found he's shooting boots by then we might have real problems.

Say what you will about his overall play, but because of the position he plays in, he will always get into goal-scoring positions and it's better for Man Utd if he starts finishing the way Wayne Rooney can.

GGMU!
Only seeing hyour reply there as have been busy for the last couple of days. Firstly in your response to red for life's remarks you are somehow justifying your overreaction to my post. mate there was absolutely no excuse for ur over the top remarks. FFS you sounded like you were going to petrol bomb my house just because i used the word crisis which imo accurately described your criticism of rooney.

apart from that i agree with 99% of your last post . Excellent post well articulated.Where I am a little more optimistic though is Rooney in the forthcoming big games. These are the games he thrives in where he either scores or performs to such a degree that that the whole team plays better as a whole. He is similar to sparky in that respect eg roma home and away last year, last sunday or the cup game against arsenal.

Forza united!!;)

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Its not that we doubt him as such. He scored 2 nice goals today and fair
play to him for that.....but how many SHOULD he have scored today.
He did miss a few sitters to be fair.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
But his goal-per-game ratio is quite excellent tho RD. Juz' went 2 check out his stats for this season: 15 goals & 12 assists in 31 club appearances for United. ;)

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I started the thread and i must say i never doubted his work rate he was amazing again today against liverpool he was the best player on the pitch but my point was he misses chances others would put away . Today he missed a chance when easier to score and had it not been for the 2 and the 1 disalowed we would be pointing it out again . But full credit to rooney a great player but please please start hitting them in as well as you work on the pitch .

41 - 60 of 106 Posts